Future of GenCon

thormagni

Explorer
This report was in the IndyStar Friday and I read on the GenCon forums that it wasn't true (and heard from Peter Adkison's own lips that they were in Indy until at least 2006.) I've e-mailed Stacia, the PR guru at the show, for confirmation one way or another, but thought you guys would be interested...

From the Star:
Tourism: The last, but definitely not the least

Gen Con, Indianapolis' largest annual convention in terms of direct visitor spending, reported record attendance for its last trip to town for a while.

The convention, a haven for gamers, racked up a turnstile attendance of more than 82,000 last month.

Those visitors, according to the Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association, contributed about $40 million to the hospitality industry.

After three years in Indianapolis, the convention will move to another city in 2006 because it has outgrown the Indiana Convention Center. It may return once the venue is expanded, organizers say.

Gen Con was Indianapolis' only 24-hour convention, drawing fans of science fiction, fantasy, role-playing games, miniatures and trading card games. Companies, including Upper Deck Entertainment and Wizards of the Coast, also debut new games there.

-- Erika D. Smith

thormagni

Explorer
thormagni said:
I've e-mailed Stacia, the PR guru at the show, for confirmation one way or another...

And Stacia responded. I asked her "GenCon is leaving Indy?!? Say it isn't so!"

She responded:

"Its not, they better run a retraction today.
Stacia"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases