... and yet, another Newbie... and an old one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geritol the Lame

I haven't played AD&D (ahem, D&D?) since the late 80's. My oldest son (age 12) and I were in BAM the other day and I caught him in the RPG section!

He was/is interested in playing D&D and I thought I'd be his DM. But, WHAT HAPPENED in the last 15 years? What did I miss? No AD&D? Version 3? 3.5? Countless rule changes? I need a kind sole to guide me through the darkness.

What Game setting do you recommend for a 12 year old and his 34 year old father? Is Greyhawke the same? Forgotton Realms had just been released when I discovered Beer and Differential Equasions. What is Dragonlance?

I guess the best way to re-learn the game is to get the new PH and DM's Guide. Is there still a MM? What's is called? I saw a cool guide on Fighter classes, is there a "cool guide" for Magic Users, Thieves and Clerics?

Help an old "Hacknslasher"

Sincerely,

Geritol the Bewildered

W

WizO_Nashira

Welcome back to the game! yes many things have changed over the years! The DM's Players and Monstrous Manual (still it's name) are the three "core" books you'll need. These are set up in the world of Greyhawk, the main world setting for 3e and 3.5e. 3.5 is the latest edition out, so I would suggest getting the 3.5's. Read them through, it's a different game than it was, practically! But...the bright side of the rainblw is that the rules and ways that things work make sense, though fighting/melee is a bit tedious at first, you'll get the hang of it,and soon be plotting epic battles!!

The "Handbooks" are out for each class, the figher/monk is called the "Sword and Fist" the mage/sorcerer (yes they are two separate and amazing classes!) is the "Tome and Blood". The guide for theives and bards is the "Song and Silence" the Palladin and cleric book is the "Defenders of the Faith" and for Druids, barbarians and rangers there's the "Masters of teh Wild" These books arent necessary to play the game...remember "Kits" in second edition at all? These arelike those, they're called prestige classes now. It's a groups of skills and feats that take a character class down a certain path.

All you really need to play is an imagination, the thee core books some paper, some friends, your dice (blow off the dust :angel: ) and a few pencils. I hope this helps, and if you need more advice, feel free to email me nashira@wizardsmoderator.com

J

Jaya Ballard Balla'th

The Monster Manuel is still the same. Heck, I think there's two now. Your best bet is to pick up a copy of the PH and DMH and run a Greyhawk campaign if you remember the setting, methinks. =) I'm personally a Forgotten Realms junkie, but that setting has gone through countless changes between its release and today.

Dragonlance is Blah. **Ducks away from Donny**

The guide you saw for Fighters was probably Sword & Fist. It also covers Monks. For the other classes, look for Song & Silence (Bards and Rogues), Tome & Blood (Wizard and Sorcerer), er.. and.. whatever the natury one is. I forget. (Rangers, Druids, and Barbarians)

Hope I helped some! Good luck, and drop in on the ISRP chat sometime!

EDIT: Nashira beat me. ;) Listen to her, she's smartah than me, hehe.

W

WizO_Nashira

Hmm..I think this is on the wrong board though, try the Dungeons and Dragons board, rather thant he Wizards Community....Boards WizO wanna bump it over for me? *blinks all cute-like*

G

Geritol the Lame

Many thanks...

Yeah, I guess I posted on the wrong board. Thanks Jay and Nash. You've been a great help.

I'll post over there for the differences between Greyhawk and FR. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases