A Question of Correct English

B

Bhryn Astairre

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but tonight I got called up for using grammatically correct english.

If a person uses a G to capitalise God as all good dictionaries state, then is this breaking the codes of conduct? I don't see it as a breaking of the rule but furthermore, an impingement on how I use the english language as I was taught to.

The case said, I was asked not to use it as it pertained to real world religion.

I then simply pointed out that the english language corrects all such things when referring to outside influence as being "uppercase" and that all good books upgrade such.

Can I get a clear view on this, please?

G

Gene_Kynes

The unofficial lawyer. Get ready for Legal Savings!

Was it used as in "Gawd, I love that band!" or "My Gawd's better than yours, nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaah", or was it used as in "I believe in Gawd"?

B

Bhryn Astairre

It was one of my characters, obviously talking about Bane and having mentioned him and her connection to him endless times, as in "my Lord God" as a formal knight would say. It was neither slandering others, nor used in a real world context.

G

Gene_Kynes

I somewhat doubt that it's incorrect, then. I mean, would it be wrong to say "My Lord King"?

And if there's no real-religion references, then there shouldn't be a problem. If your character is pious enough to emphasize his or her respect towards his or her god, then that's just a part of the roleplaying.

But, erm...I'm not a WizO. In fact, I'm still sketchy on whether or not I can play a haxxor in the new room, because that may or may not be glorifiying the act of violating computer security. Eh.

W

WizO_Raven

Well, this gets into a grey area or sorts.

In proper english you do capilalize the "G" in God, if you are referring to God the real life diety of the majority of the modern world, if you are talking about paladine for example, you would normally type god to avoid any possible reference to THE God.

Rule of thumb, just keep the word in small case that way you don't run the risk of offending anyone. God is a real world religion, so it can be easily confused or offend someone who gets offended by that sort of thing.

I hope this helps abit.

W

WizO_Nashira

Caipitalization?

**This is my own personal opinion, not in any way, shape, or form an attack on anyone's beliefs, real world or otherwise. These beliefs do not reflect those of WoTC or any other person that is not myself. This is also not an attack on anyone else's beliefs, real world or otherwise, or on any other replies made on this thread. It's simply the opinion of little ole' me.**

I personally feel, that so long as everyone is aware of which singular "God" you are referring to, it is totally the choice of the player as to whether or not to capitalize it. If you are unaware you can always PM a person, nicely and ask them which they are referring to. I'm sure they'd be glad to clarify. I feel that it is the choice of the player, weather by laziness or proper English by the book, wether or not they capitalize the word "god" (there did it both ways, so I dont wanna hear it nya nya):smirk: is entirely their choice.

Nash

W

WizO_Ruffle

God or god

As long as you are not refering to a real life religion, God or god is fine and up to the player.

WizO_Ruffle
Managing Lead
Wizards of the Coast Online

J

Jaya Ballard Balla'th

Meh. I've capitalized the term God forever, in the same manner as Bhryn. Be it refering to a singular deity or a multitude - God, Gods. But heck, half the time I just use deity anyways.. since that's the way Jay speaks. ;P

By the way, Ruffle's my other Hero. ^_^

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases