Getting Started.

V

Vash Taklore

Is there a GP, EXP., Class, etc. you get when you start this?
How does one go about doing things in this RPG type deal?

I read some of the stickied threads but it didn't really answer anything. It just told me what to do in certain chat rooms and the commands for such things.

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to put this too.

...a little help here.:(

W

WizO_Pounamu

You're right, most of the threads on this boards are supplimentary for people that really already know what ISRP is.

ISRP stands for Interactive Storyline Role Player, and is a semi free-form game played both in realtime on the online chat site and the message boards. There is a setting provided which has its own guidelines such as effects, but within that setting you can pretty much play any type of character you can imagine so long as it doesn't go against the setting itself or the site Code of Conduct.

There are currently two settings active (both fantasy), each with an in-character only forum here on the boards and three in-character only rooms on the chat: a non-combat room, a combat-only room and a second non-combat room that is open for only a few hours each day.

For setting information and tips on playing (although I admit, it's slanted towards chat), try the ISRP website. There are also tips on the OOC General forum. And if you have any questions, post them here again. ;)

- Pounamu

S

Ssussunriyh

Combat is usually free-form, as well. (There is a dicebot in the Arena, but few people use it - that I am aware of, anyway...)

Please bear in mind the Freedom of Destiny clause in the Code of Conduct. What this means is that you can't do anything to another player's character, if the other player doesn't allow it.

In other words, players declare their actions in combat, but auto-hits are a no-no. For example, you shouldn't say "Fred the Fighter hits Bubba the Barbarian with his sword." Instead you should say "Fred the Fighter swings his sword at Bubba the Barbarian." And then Bubba's player decides if he gets hit or not, and if so, how badly his character is hurt by it.

This unfortunately does invite a lot of powergaming, with characters appearing to be invulnerable, and very seldom is a character ever killed. (Mortal wounds are not unknown, with a bit of magical healing saving the dying character in the nick of time.)

The best way to approach combat is to send a PM (Private Message) to your opponent and work out the details beforehand about who wins and who loses, what attacks are effective, and so forth.

I know, it's a strange way of doing things, but that's what goes on in ISRP combat scenes...

D

Dusk Huntress

Ssussunriyh said:
Please bear in mind the Freedom of Destiny clause in the Code of Conduct. What this means is that you can't do anything to another player's character, if the other player doesn't allow it.

FoD's not in the CoC. At all.
But bugging the hell out of someone by repetitively autohitting on their character can be harassment, which is there. And people get sick of players that insist that their character hits/maims/kills other characters. Put it this way - you probably wouldnt like someone coming along and saying "My character slices off your character's leg" and you'd probably start avoiding them if they pushes it... so don't do it to others. ;)

D

Dusk Huntress

Well, you got the CoC, which is the stuff you have to behave by, and you got the ISRP "laws", which is stuff it's recommended you behave by but you don't get more than told off for unless you manage to break the other rules doing it. *shrugs* FoD isn't mentioned on either of them exactly... although that laws site does have
Note however, that In Character (IC) activities can be elevated to room disruption as discussed above. One of the surest ways to have this happen is to not get the other player's permission Out Of Character (OOC) first.

But yeah, I remember FoD being written down somewhere too, as an IC-ish rule, but the pages for those seem to be down. :(
Just it's not a clause in the CoC. Common assumption.

"Freedom of Destiny" is the right to decide your own destiny. Ie, the right to not get kidnapped, assaulted, yadda yadda. It's long become a phrase for OOC as well: each player has the right to decide what does and doesn't happen to or by their character and their belongings. (eg nasty_paladin shouldn't state he's been kicked by innocent_boy's horse if innocent_boy/player says the horse wasn't anywhere near him. heh)
Basically if someone says there character does something to your that you don't agree with you're allowed to ignore it. Best to point out the prob in PM and maybe discuss it out, but if worst comes to worst, ignore it.:angel:

Kathryn_aka_Kat

First Post
The "working out in PMs" is important!

I hate invoking Freedom of Destiny, I don't ignore actions, and the only person I've ever put on "/ignore add" was a random spammer. But then when someone starts harassing me IC, I'm often so involved in role-playing the situation and being in the mind of my char that I forget to just PM the player and ask them to back off. The problem with that is that the other player may not know you're actually getting upset OOC if you only react IC. Then you start bad-mouthing them as a bad player when they might have reacted with a "sorry! I thought we were both having fun with it, but I won't do that again."

Hint: Don't yell in your first PM to them... assuming ignorance of the game or miscommunication is much better than initially assuming malice.

K

Kheldar Devaentar

Here be them rules!

Yes! Yelling at, or shunning another player is never the proper way to talk OoC. It is far better to explain things as politely as possible. Scorn and sarcasm should not be used! If another player is breaking the rules, it's probably because he's not aware of them. As many folks have pointed out, finding the ISRP rules is very difficult!

Also remember, if a character is being rowdy and disruptive, that does not necessarily mean the player has something against anyone. . . It just means he's role playing a violent character. Of course there are unfortunate exceptions to this, but it's better to give a player the benefit of the doubt until you know for sure!

And, although it's very well hidden, you can find the ISRP rules. I've talked to one of the WizO's about it, and hopefully it'll be posted somewhere where you don't have to go looking for it like it was some kind of lost artifact. . . I found it completely by mistake one day when a was mindlessly browsing random parts of the wizard's community site. . .

Here it is: What is Interactive Storytelling RolePlaying?

Remove ads