Room Disruption

A

Adept_Nathan

In Summation of Thought

747 said:
It does all depend on the situation...
...I think it'd be best if the standard way to deal with someone who's being overly disruptive was in character.

As much as we would like to say that there is only one kind of room disruption, the fact remains that a 'room disruption' depends on the situation and is, no matter how hard we try to ignore the fact, both an In-Character and Out-Of-Character phenomena.

I think it best to
  1. define what we are talking about,
  2. discuss each separately, and
  3. identify the factors of each.
So in such an attempt, I say:

In-Character Chat Offensive Room Disruption (ICCORD)
(n.) Any of a number of intentional related or unrelated In-Character Actions (see ICAs) performed by a character or group of characters that are perceived to have both a direct and negative or offensive affect on the freedom, free will, or otherwise choice of another character or group of characters, or the previously established roleplaying environment or atmosphere.

Out-Of-Character Offensive Room Disruption (OOCORD)
(n.) Any of a number of intentional related or unrelated Out-Of-Character Actions (see OOCAs) performed by a player or group of players that are perceived to have both a direct and negative or offensive affect on another player or group of players, the chat room, or roleplaying environment or atmosphere itself.

Discussion
These definitions can be added to the ISRP Glossary on the New ISRP Web Pages once fully developed.

Note the importance of the words intentional, perceived, direct, and negative; all of these words are purposefully 'relative' in nature because the definitions of these 'disruptions' are by their essential nature 'relative' themselves, i.e., they vary by situation.

Identifying Factors of ICCORD
We are off to a good start in identifying examples of this type of room disruption.
  • Sudden or otherwise drastic and unspecified changes to immediate environment or atmosphere without forewarning as to intent like "setting the room ablaze with a fireball spell".
  • Sudden or otherwise drastic and unspecified changes to another character, his immediate area, possessions, or affects without forewarning as to intent like "stabbing bob quickly in the back".
  • Sudden or otherwise drastic and unspecified changes to self wherein such actions are perceived to have a direct and negative or offensive repercussion like "bob explodes into tiny shards of glass that fling across the room".

Identifying Factors of OOCORD
The following is a list of examples.
  • Flaming (continuous use of aggressive language)
  • Spamming (continuous use of emotes)
  • Harrassment (anything defined as harrassment in the policy)

Comments appreciated, will update when necesarry.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases