Voting on Setting Changes

Chitara

First Post
Because not everyone likes having the same setting. My cat characters do not belong in a Tavern. They haven't ever since the Tavern was rerelocated - and so they only go there if dragged.

If you personally feel that staying in one setting is more worthwhile, you are free to do so. In that way you would develop your knowledge of that setting.
Others may prefer a choice - do they feel like playing one style or other tonight? Wouldn't you prefer to choose which setting you hold to?

If there is only one fantasy setting avaliable, you would have no choice on the site.

Incidentally, I've found that a strong character with interesting faults and strengths and a solid, believable background has served me better in finding games than just how many rooms I've wandered through. If people go to another room because they don't want to play with someone else, just finding them won't necessarily change their mind. ;)

- Chitara

W

WizO_Adele

I think Chitara summed it up nicely, it's because we want to offer a variety. It's because if we are going to try a trial of new settings, as voted on by the patrons, then we want to have more than one choice so those who didn't like the final choice still have something that will hopefully satisfy them. It's because I'd like to see two very different types of settings to better satisfy the needs of the patrons.

And if it doesn't work out, then we can adjust it then. But for now, I do want two settings.

So, if you vote for option D, I expect to see an explanation of your meaning posted in this thread, otherwise I won't be able to interpret it.

S

Ssussunriyh

Dilbert: "Wait, isn't it a bit premature to call a meeting, until we decide what the meeting should be about?"

Pointy-Haired Imbecile Boss: "Okay, this is the preliminary pre-meeting meeting, to set the agenda for the post-preliminary meeting..."

Wally, to Dilbert: "You think you're funny, but you're not."

F

Fancypants

Chitara said:
Incidentally, I've found that a strong character with interesting faults and strengths and a solid, believable background has served me better in finding games than just how many rooms I've wandered through. If people go to another room because they don't want to play with someone else, just finding them won't necessarily change their mind. ;)

- Chitara

Wow. That was totally uncalled for. Thanks for assuming that everyone is running away from me, which isn't what I said. You also haven't ever played with me, as f ar as I know, so you probably can't really know if I'm annoying or if I know how to play or not. I don't play in this name.

Everyone is allowed a different idea, you could have stopped with your first comment and not added that last part.

Have fun

C

Cystuni

Fancypants said:
Why isn't it on the table? If we have only one setting with two rooms, then it will be easier to find storytelling partners, and everyone can focus on getting real good at the setting that we pick. Too many setting is kinda confusing, and too many rooms means I have to hunt around for people to play with. I don't always have a bunch of time, but I still want to play :(

I think if we have one setting and only one setting we'd have too many people in the room at a time, assuming there ARE alot of people left... though I AM in favor of ditching Juxta, it seems a little hokey.

Dontella

First Post
I feel... confused.

Maybe it was this way from the beginning, and I just didn't get it then.. er.. Two Rooms?

I thought this was just, what should we do with Juxtaposition?

If not, erm, can I be directed to a place where I can be properly informed?

*blushes*

EDIT: Yep, Two Rooms. Wow, I feel silly. NEvermind, I don't have a clue what I am talking about..

So.. er.. ignore my misplaced vote?

A

Adept_Nathan

Cystuni said:
... though I AM in favor of ditching Juxta, it seems a little hokey.

::is in shock::
wow...what's so 'hokey' about something that has a homebrew flavor? It's not like any part of Juxta can't be altered to 'suit' its inhabitants' needs/desires? Ever heard of the alterable morphic ability of a demiplane of a transitive plane before...too easy.

Two rooms doesn't necessarily mean that we have to have two settings. I, for one, think that Juxta can continue to exist as a Planar room within any setting.

Yes, Greyhawk is advantageous because it is more open...being the generic D&D setting, and FR has what one could consider to be setting restrictions in that it is more defined and thus requires more moderation.

In the end it will depend on whether we want restrictions or not... or rather, to what degree we want restrictions...

Which is funny, I might add, because Juxta has restrictions...and everyone is so quick to be rid of it because of them... has no one thought of just changing them?

Guess not.

W

WizO_Adele

Cystuni is also correct in that roomcounts become an issue. At least in ichat there was a max in how many people could be logged into one room at a time, and once you got near that level (which was highly possible on a good night) the software started weirding out.

But even if the new software doesn't have those limitations, just trying to follow your own storyline, much less several others, in a very full room can give one a headache really quickly. I've found having 8-15 people in a room ranges from comfortable to more than I can handle. I've been in a room with 20-30 before and it is NOT something you want on a regular basis.

Dontella, there's two votes going on. One regarding the replacement for Juxta, and the other regarding what direction we want to go with Greyhawk.

So, for those that voted Option D, I really need to know what you mean, otherwise I'm confused. A few of you have already written to remove your vote for D. I will keep track of those.

Nathan, I think the common issue with Juxta's restrictions were that they were nonsensical to some, were restrictions that were not desired, explained, or were overly strict. We did try modifying the restrictions, but it didn't do much for the popularity or room counts. I am not comfortable modifying the setting further because it was already heading so far away from it's roots and intent. I'd like to remain true to the setting, and that's not possible with the changes desired or the changes requested by WoTC. So it's only fair to let it go as a supported setting, and remain in Limbo theme nights, and personal play.

The other settings proposed, while they may have restrictions, are different restrictions. Many of them make sense, are clearly desired by some, and are fairly reasonable. And the biggest thing is, that if that setting wins it is because everyone WANTS that setting with those restrictions. The same couldn't be said for Juxta, as that setting was created by one person with no outside input.

It's really nothing against Juxta. It's about trying to meet the needs and demands of the majority.

Chitara

First Post
Fancypants said:
Thanks for assuming that everyone is running away from me, which isn't what I said. You also haven't ever played with me, as f ar as I know, so you probably can't really know if I'm annoying or if I know how to play or not. I don't play in this name.

Someone please point out to me where I said people were running away from him, because I never meant that and don't see it. If anyone wanted to be rid of someone in particular they need only use the /ignore function, possibly coupled with advising their friends of their action and suggesting that they follow suit. That is not an uncommon course if someone in a room really is annoying others and the others don't all want to move.
I do see however that if players must be searched for rather than staying in the main room or the setting, then they may we wanting privacy not more company. In my personal opinion two rooms separated by a lobby are not too much to glance into if I'm looking for someone.

Nathan, if Juxta was used as a planar room, wouldn't it still be another setting? *ducks* Well otherwise it wouldn't be Juxta, would it? ;)

Anyway we've already been discussing Juxta's possible replacements (plural because more than one setting has been discussed) so it still makes mroe sense to me to vote for the replacement first. Either way it's easier to decide the other once we have the first pinned...

- Chitara

R

Rajak2.0

Juxtan Marketplace Replacements
Two templates for possible suggestion...

For a touch of Shadow Society...
This example could easily fit into any fantasy setting with a famous city (Waterdeep, Greyhawk city, City of Sharn, Lankhmar, or even London :p).
(City Base): The Marketplace exists parallel, aside, and under our own. In the forgotten section of the city, forgotten sewer tunnels, the shades of alleys, and the corner of your eyes, a whole population of folk eke out a daily existence in a world full of magic, danger and endless adventure. Merchants and customers sell, trade, haggle, and sometimes argue over the price of fish, rice, light bulbs, rubber bands, and bottled dreams - whatever one might like to acquire. This setting is very urban and surreal, resembling something from Simon R Green's Nightside or Clive Barker's Abarat.

For a touch of Faeire Tale...
This example could also work with any setting that has a mythology of Faeiry tales (Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Greyhawk, etc).
(Wilderness): Whenever wandering off the path, the trail, the road or even opening a forgotten closet door, one has the chance of entering the Roaming Marketplace. Where sylvan merchants and other worldly beings barter and haggle over the price of fine china and love potions. The setting is very sylvan and surreal, resembling something from Lewis Carrol's Alice from Wonderland or Neil Gaiman's Stardust.

As for planar cosmology, my suggestion, throw it all out the window. All cosmologies are possibly true.. Wheel, Turnip, Matrix, Fourth Dimesion, etc.

Remove ads