The future of Juxtaposition - PreVote Discussion

Dragon Master

First Post
Personally, i'd like to see Eberron as the new setting, it is new and offers rather unique opportunities given its setting... however, given the amount of characters I've seen from Faerun, perhaps that would be the better choice. I don't think we need another Greyhawk setting, so i'd personally say either Eberron or Faerun.

D

Dragona Nightsky

I'm stuck between Sigil and FR. Either would be an excellent choice, Sigil for its variety of possibilities, FR for its familiarity and the fanbase it already has in ISRP with so many characters being based from there.

I'd say one of those. Good points have been brought up concerning each, and I think either would be a good choice.

T

Tiagan

I say Faerûn would be the best bet. What with the Forgotten Realms having gotten so much development with the onset of 3e and 3.5, I don't see a reason not to other than the possible argument that "it would be cliché" (or something equally silly).

The question for me, though, would be as follows: where in Faerûn would the setting be? While I'm loathe to consider plunking it in the middle of an unpopulated area somewhere, I'm also unsure about the ability of putting it in an already-established bustling metropolis. It's a confusing logistical detail that would assuredly need working out, but I think that Toril would be the best place to plunk the setting. ...Just, somewhere out of the sphere of interest of the Zhentarium, the Red Wizards, et cetera; we don't want a setting in a spot that will be destroyed in the next tabletop module, heh.

J

JudeSedai

Dragona Nightsky said:
I'm stuck between Sigil and FR. Either would be an excellent choice, Sigil for its variety of possibilities, FR for its familiarity and the fanbase it already has in ISRP with so many characters being based from there.

I'd say one of those. Good points have been brought up concerning each, and I think either would be a good choice.

I'm with Dragona on that, though my personal preference is for FR because I know it better.

Khaira

First Post
Well, as much as I do hate to see Juxta bite the dust, I'd be more tempted to vote for FR, since it's the setting which I grew up with and seems to be the one that most people are familiar with, after all.

A

Aylah

I believe that either Forgotten Realms (Faerun) ir Sigil would be our best choice. If forced to chose between them I'd sway more toward Faerun. Good points have been brought up though, and I'll certainly consider them all before making my final vote.

Aylah

Dontella

First Post
Question-

Not that they are terribly active anyhow, but a few do still visit on occasion.. What happens with the Adepts, when Juxtaposition fades?

Jeajea

First Post
A point that is so important that I feel the need to reiterate it. Excuse me, you're throwing out Juxta... what about the Adepts? What happens to them? Okay, so, after the departure of both Khelos and Bailey, not to mention all those who went before them, they're technically under Adele's hands... but I've been caretaking. Trying to get storylines moving. Was my effort for nothing? In this sense at least, I very much oppose the removal of Juxta. I would like clear reasons as to why we feel the need to replace it with Ebberon, FR, another Greyhawk room or whatever else. I have an idea of a couple of reasons - it doesn't get much patronage, and it has strange laws that are a pain to teach to newbies... there are ways around this. Simply making a new room will not solve this problem as cleanly as you might like, and even if it did, I do not find those reasons sufficient to get rid of Juxta. Aside from anything else, it's what makes this site a touch unique - chatrooms set on FR? Roleplaying on Greyhawk? Nothing new. Ebberon is, of course, up and coming, and a very good setting, but... no. I need better reasons.

However, if the change *is* made, I would be adamant that we have a more dynamic and active setting. The constant static nature of the chatrooms' setting is easier to mod and easier to partake in as a player, but means that any "big" storylines are impossible. But I'll read this thread properly when I have more time. That's all, for now.

W

WizO_Adele

Tiagan - If the vote results in a Forgotten Realms setting, the next step will be a series of smaller votes and polls regarding locations and other setting aspects. The goal is to put as much out there for discussion and vote as possible.

Dontella - The Adepts are welcome in the new setting. Obviously, by their nature they are capable of travel. In addition, the setting will not be completely retired, but will be available for Limbo Theme nights, which I strongly urge everyone to volunteer in running. There are so many possibilities there.

Jeajea - I am not trying to offend anyone with the change of setting, but it does need to be done and will be done. All your work is not for naught. The setting can live on it it's own way. However, I do not have the resources or desire to continue to maintain it. The setting itself has extremely low numbers. The setting rules are difficult to understand and follow, and few decide to do so even if they are educated in them. What we need is two settings, one that is relatively restrictive in the character and magic content and one that is not - allowing a large level of freedom. What we have now is two settings that are both restrictive in nature, though in separate ways. The decision to eliminate Juxta was ultimately mine, and I'll take all the heat for it gladly. In addition to the aforementioned reasons, and many others, my personal driving force is this. I know the setting. I've played in it offline for 11 years. However, I do not have near the level of comprehension of it as Rexx, and it affects the way the setting is run. It's not fair to use his intellectual property and essentially disrespect it and butcher it. Nor can I keep him on speed dial, and when I get/have answers I can't always share them or explain them because it's private knowledge that needs to remain so. Juxta simply cannot be played online as it's meant to be. We've tried to compromise by making this an alternate Juxta with varied rules and setting aspects, but it's not working and is not logical. It's considerably toned down here, even more so since we toned down Sonic Attack; and for the setting to work it needs strict enforcement. It needs full access to all the laws and particulars of the real campaign, which is not possible here, resulting in logic holes and faith leaps that are very exhaustive to explain and maintain. It's not fair to the setting, it's creator or the patrons who are genuinely trying to understand the setting but cannot. Not only that but the setting restricts what patrons can and cannot due with their characters, their storylines. A setting that should be ripe for opportunity is by nature, not.

Finally, Wizards of the Coast has made a decision that WizO's should not be law enforcement - again for various reasons. Without WizO's as the law, enforcing the strict IC laws of the setting it is just not Juxta. It's too much of an affront to the original intent, and the setting just won't work without it. It's already ignored enough.

Remove ads