The setting of Forgotten Realms - Location - PreVote Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

eh... after some thought... I'm beginning to think waterdeep may not be such a good city after all... too traditional...

Okay... I am really drawing a blank... anyone for making a new city for the setting? :p

C'mon, it's not that a bad idea, and we don't exactly have that much to work with that's really compatible as of now...

D

Darrius of the Guardians

747 said:
Okay... I am really drawing a blank... anyone for making a new city for the setting? :p

C'mon, it's not that a bad idea, and we don't exactly have that much to work with that's really compatible as of now...
There is still: New Phlan, Luskan, Icewind Dale, Any of the dozens of cities of Chessenta.

And thats with my minor knowledge of the realms.

J

JudeSedai

New Phlan.....now THERE'S a city that no one's heard of :p Unless they've played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor anyhow. Where, exactly, is it? Anyone know? (because I sure don't)

I thought about Icewind Dale (the Ten Towns, etc), but then I decided it was a bit too.....brisk for a year-round outdoor marketplace, if you catch my meaning.

As stated above (or elsewhere?) Luskan is a bit too....closed to outsiders to be feasible in this case.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Chessenta, but I'm thinking I'd rather stay somewhere in the more central/western/northernish areas of Faerûn (mostly because I know them better).....of course, that's just me and my opinion.

Hope folks have more places to toss into the mix, because the cities from the computer games are looking better and better (since they're not as well explored outside of them in the game literature).

R

Rhane Arturant

Calimport!
Don't mind me... I have an ever-so-slight obsession with it.... Yeah, I'll hush now...

D

Darrius of the Guardians

JudeSedai said:
New Phlan.....now THERE'S a city that no one's heard of :p Unless they've played Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor anyhow. Where, exactly, is it? Anyone know? (because I sure don't)
Its on the moonsea.
JudeSedai said:
I thought about Icewind Dale (the Ten Towns, etc), but then I decided it was a bit too.....brisk for a year-round outdoor marketplace, if you catch my meaning.
Hehehehe, it would be fun though? :p
JudeSedai said:
As stated above (or elsewhere?) Luskan is a bit too....closed to outsiders to be feasible in this case.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Chessenta, but I'm thinking I'd rather stay somewhere in the more central/western/northernish areas of Faerûn (mostly because I know them better).....of course, that's just me and my opinion.
Chessenta is one of the "living" dead empires it used to stretch into the western heartlands and Amn (if my memory is sane), and has slowly been retreating, recently with the death of their deity-king Gilgamesh most of it has fallen under (name of the egyptian empire I forget currently) rule mostly, save for a small portion that borders Thay.
JudeSedai said:
Hope folks have more places to toss into the mix, because the cities from the computer games are looking better and better (since they're not as well explored outside of them in the game literature).

Personally I see nothing wrong with using a city from a computer game, as the Baldur's Gate cycle is done (aside from the one on PS which doesn't add to the actual content), Neverwinter is a great metroplitan northern city that doesn't have the no Evil restriction that Silverymoon has.

D

Darrius of the Guardians

Rhane Arturant said:
Calimport!
Don't mind me... I have an ever-so-slight obsession with it.... Yeah, I'll hush now...
Calimport wouldn't be tooo bad if it didn't have a non-generic flavor to it. (where as cities like Westgate, Waterdeep and Baldurs Gate are quasi-european, Calimport comes with a strong mediterian/near east feel). IMHO it would be best to find a city that didn't conflict with the defaults for a lot of characters (generic medival ;))

Davon

First Post
I think that anywhere that is 'too' 'evil' would be a bad idea if no other reason than it would make te IC excuse for a LOT of current characters going there hard to justify.

"Yes, we all decided that visiting this cess pool of scum and villainy, it is THE in place don't you know!"

Likewise anywhere that is too (as has been mentioned) non traditional or remote.

I see no reason whatever for a 'created' city/town..whatever, FR was picked as the setting, not Homebrew, and if none of the more well known cities feels right, there are any number of lesser cities to consider.

I would still by and large suggest my list of places from my first post, if anyone not that familiar with the setting wants more details of some of them, just ask, I am sure some know it all (I include myself in that :-S) will be more than happy to provide details.

The suggestion of I think it was Hap? was not at all bad for a small rural Dale setting, though I personally still prefer Harrowdale Town for a Dales location, heh.

And Rhaneypoo agrees with me on not Waterdeep....*faints*

S

skizor

A description of Arabel in Cormyr, as quoted from this site :

[sblock]Arabel

The frontier city of northeastern Cormyr, Arabel is a rambling, mid-sized affair of almost a thousand main buildings, situated where the East Way meets Calantar's Way and the Moonsea Ride. She is well- fortified by high stone walls and a terraced landscape, though with many posts reserved for trading houses in the lightly wooded outskirts and farmlands beyond. It has always been a bustling waystop on the overland route linking Moonsea mines to the port at Suzail, and from there to countries beyond; it has also always been a bulwark against the perils of the nearby Stonelands, a craggy, monster-filled plateau huddling beneath the Stormhorn foothills.

Arabel today is a booming, prosperous center of growth, with as many as 25,000 residents at the height of the trading season. Both newcomers to the realm and wealthy young Cormyreans have efficiently settled the quiet, rolling farmland to the north and east, and many adventuring bands use the city as a jumping-off point for the north and east.
Arabel is first and foremost a merchant city, semi-independent of the crown, and famed for its jewelry (principally that of the merchant House of Thond). A number of trading companies have major outposts here, and there is always a floating pool of mercenary talent to be hired at any time. The city is also the main shipping area for coal in Cormyr, gathering the coal from mines in the Gnoll Pass area. Dominating the coal trade is the city's wealthiest local merchant company, House Misrim, which has three large warehouses and has expanded its trade into a wide variety of commodities.

The largest commercial enterprise, however, is Thousandheads Trading Coster, which has extensive holdings in Arabel for use on its trade route from Waterdeep to Hillsfar via Scornubel, Berdusk, Iriaebor, Priapurl, Arabel, and Essembra. This company runs thousands of caravans along this route, with each caravan guarded by hired adventurers and mercenaries. Arabel's importance to trade is further demonstrated by the large local facilities of far-reaching trading companies such as Dragoneye Dealing Coster, Iron House, Six Coffers Market Priakos, and Trueshield Trading Priakos (in addition to Thousandheads). These companies regularly hire exploration parties to maintain their interests across Cormyr.

Several family merchant houses based in Arabel are prominent locally but concentrate on business near Arabel instead of activity throughout Cormyr. These houses and primary businesses include the Baerlear (cheese), Bhela (weapons and armor), Gelzunduth (winery), Hiloar (brewery), Kraliqh (real estate), Misrim (horses), and Nyaril (grain) families.

Arabel also has a number of entrepreneurs who have built successful businesses without the benefit of a merchant family background. Chief among these is Lheskar Bhaliir, who owns and operates several enterprises on the edge of the law. His general stores sell a motley and ever-changing selection of merchandise and are widely rumored to be fencing operations for stolen goods. He also owns two prominent taverns, the Dancing Dragon and the Dancing Dracolisk, which make no effort to bar shady customers.
With so many adventuring companies using Arabel as a base, hiring mercenaries accounts for a large share of the city's economy. The largest employer is the Red Raven Mercenary Company, which has an impressive headquarters in the city.

Government

Myrmeen Lhal is the popular and efficient Lord of Arabel. She envisions her task as creating and maintaining a secure environment for business. She has done her job well.

Welstar, Herald of Arabel, assists Lhal and has hundreds of assorted duties to perform as well. Westar has a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness. He is also well known for the quirk of never performing a duty on the first of the month. The reason for this unusual behavior is unknown, as he is very tight-lipped about the subject, but his exemplary work throughout the rest of the month has earned him the right to this eccentricity.

Heading the Purple Dragon elite guard garrision is Baron Thomdor, Azoun's cousin and Warden of the Eastern Marches. Thomdor is a tough and fair leader of the militia. Assisting him is Dutharr, who is in effect the sheriff of Arabel. The two warriors have a good relationship and work very well together; Dutharr prefers to interact with Thomdor rather than Lhal because of a slight personality conflict between them.

Regular patrols to the Stonelands in the north usually start in Arabel. A typical patrol is a force of 40-60 fighters commanded by an experienced commander and often supported by War Wizards or one of the Favored. Existing alongside the small local militia is a force of mercenaries known as the Red Ravens, who have a long history in Cormyr and a good relationship with Baron Thomdor and Lhal. Their primary objective in recent times has been to fight evil creatures inhabiting the Stormhorns. This contract is sponsored by King Azoun, but he often leaves administration of the contract to Lhal. Thus far the Red Ravens have been very successful, but their small numbers prevent them from fulfilling the contract too quickly. The leader of the Ravens is a woman named Rayanna (or Rose).[/sblock]

Looks like a very good setting to me. I say we go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases