((Welcome to The Lab! Please read. OOC))

As for the last statement, I was temporarily insane, s'all.

The rest: Cumbersome indeed. I am working for flyability, not defensability. As I was actually designing these for a research paper, I needed this realistic. First of all, It would need supports, preferably of a light metal like aluminum, inside the host, under their ribs. The wings would be telescoping, with small wires running into the spinal cord and nerve system. This way, they could be returned to a relatively smaller state when the host is sleeping. As for the actual body of the wing, no more than the frame could be metal, even a light one, because, simply, metal's mass-to-gliding ability is just horrific. I was thinking originally something like vinyl for the wings, but reconsidered with spider's silk. It is about as strong as titanium, and extremely light. With some GMOs added in, they could be stronger and lighter, as well. The host would need to be heavily musculed and light, as you said, but also because even fake wings would put an amazing amount of stress on the chest of the occupant. Power, silly power, I planned was kinetic energy... Gasp... Because inferring the wires directly into the spine can allow proteins nearby to release a small charge, intensified through a bit of laser and genetic surgery.

All that being said, they would only fly a lightweight for about a half hour, that being with a good updraft. However, they *should* lessen a fall from a plane or building.

Proven I know a bit, at least to fake it in ISRP land?

sagetim

First Post
robo rights activist? more like anything that's not considered 'normal' so technically, yea, I guess so....as for the feisability of mech wings? I could see that happening in the near future, of course, I could also see the kinds of guns I can make up in my head being constructable. example: the double hand gun. effectively 2 really slim handguns that would hook together with a locking mechanism on the top, slim enough to be held as a normal handgun (and thus fit in a normal holster) but still able to pack the punch of a normal gun. the locking mechanism on top could also be unlocked, thus giving you 2 guns in one holster.....nice. :D

Magatsu

First Post
I wanted to add something to the cybornetics and even the grafting of machinery to the body. If the world made the true technoligical break throughs in the 60-70 with computers and program software, it only took them since the 80s and re refining of this 20 years to get where we are today, that a lot of advancement in an extremely short time. So over another 30 years, the growth could be considered exponential.. actually it is. There is a lot of technology that is just not openly spoken of, from robot dogs able to play sports games on their own to actual small mecha constructions that can do the labor of a demo team. The thing is, the stuff we are seeing today was usually invented ten years prior.

Plasma televisions were being sold to big time corporations in the mid 90's for a minimum of 10k and now are sold to us only these very recent years, if at all one year.

Just my take on it. If the TMP is based in OUR RL world.

Magatsu

First Post
On the thought more technology I am forgeting one aspect, Electo and cyber manipulators or a technology manipulater. With these mutants taking hidden but also occupations, who knows what could be created, not to mention the super geniuses. ^_^

Cyber wings, if you can create a static field that can give resistants to air, you could create a lighter skeletal frame of a bats wing, activating the energy field would create a fake skin or energy between the skeletal frame creating simple portable and hopefully not to heavey wings. I mean composite materials can be as strong as steal and as light as plastics or atleast aluminum

Laura Jarron

Explorer
Moore's Law: The speed of computing doubles every 24 months.

Carbon fiber matrices are being created currently that have the strength of diamond.

Fifteen years ago a 500mb hard drive cost me US$300 dollars. I carry a key that stores 2GB today and it was US$40.

------
"Imagine what you'll know tomorrow." K, Men in Black

Last edited:

Mystearia

First Post
What about mutants with the mutations described in the D20 future book... would they be playable with some of the minor and major mutations...

Remove ads