Who Records Their Gaming Sessions?

wedgeski

Adventurer
In a recent effort to write more thorough journals I started recording our weekly d20 Modern sessions. I would like to share the following journey that I have taken through those recordings:

[1] The cringing phase. Not only do I dislike my voice at the best of times (doesn't everyone?) but I started picking up on a whole host of verbal mannerisms which I didn't even know I was using. Some of them are, by all accounts, unavoidably 'me' and I wouldn't want to change them, but other bad habits, like waiting too long after the talking stops to continue with the game, or over-using certain slang, or any number of other things, I'm trying to eradicate. I was also able to take an objective look at my own roleplaying and immediately found specific areas for improvement; in fact I was much worse at certain aspects of the game than I honestly thought I was, which came as a bit of an eye-opener.

[2] The utility phase. Picking up on things that were said at the table that I didn't previously notice. For example, I'm a big proponent of using the players' brainstorming as a source of inspiration for the game, and I've already caught a couple of cracking plot hooks simply by being able to concentrate on their discussions instead of rifling through my notes. In terms of the original reason for recording the sessions, the journals have now not only become more accurate, but can correctly convey the feel and tone of the game at any one point in time. The journals themselves are now much better at evoking the session as a whole rather than just the shenannigans of the PC's.

[3] The laugh-out-loud phase. Once you get over phase [1] (can take some time), you get to enjoy the session all over again. Far from being uninteresting, it shockingly turns out that the jokes being thrown around the table are funny the second time round too.

[4] The posterity phase. These recordings are being archived. I can only imagine how fun it's going to be to listen to them in 40 or 50 years.

If this post has a point, it is that, in the same way that writers are encouraged to read their prose out loud, I recommend every DM out there to try to record at least one of their sessions and use it as a tool to improve their game. If you can get over phase [1] and actually objectively listen to yourself, it's amazing the impact it can have on your DM'ing repertoire.

viscounteric

Explorer
For at least my fantasy games, I make the player keep a group journal, where each week a different player makes the entry from their characters perspective. I used to use a 5% experience bonus for the person who volunteers, but my players soon learned it was an indispensible tool (Anything that character wrote would be considered character knowledge for him).

For me it was a lovely tool not only to keep track of those elusive plot holes, but to look into the player/character motivations I might have missed. With 6+ players it's difficult enough to keep the interest level up. I'll take as much player insight/opinion as possible, especially when they don't know I'm asking for it. :cool:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
I used to take notes for my character journals but it became a hassle after I'd gotten far behind... I've only done one since as this particular session warranted one, being the climatic point regarding my half-dragon paladin and her dealings with the Dragon Rage (from the FR novel line).

I knew of a guy from Australia (Kendrik Larsen) who posted his game sessions over on the WOTC boards until real life got in the way. I miss reading those stories. :(

IronWolf

blank
Crothian said:
I'm just waiting for Iron Wolf or Shaylon to pop in and say "my what a good idea, we should record our session!"

Won't be me saying that! I *know* I hate the sound of my voice on tape!

howandwhy99

Adventurer
This might get more responses in the Storyhour Forum.

Neither of my games are recorded. But I have been known to write 10+ singlespaced pages of typed notes on occasion. Does that count?

Delemental

First Post
I've been recording our games for a while now, mostly because I write the Story Hour associated with it.

I used to take hand-written notes, but switched to the recorder when I found that not only was I missing some good stuff, but that I wasn't paying enough attention to the game because I was too busy taking notes.

I don't keep the tapes of the sessions, though; I record over them once I've finished writing up a session. To date I've been able to keep up with getting the writing done before the next session, so no backlogs yet.

I find that I can tolerate the sound of my own recorded voice just fine, but I really cringed when I listened to myself DM once.

The only major drawback to recording is those occasions when our party breaks up into smaller groups for roleplay. I either catch one set of conversations and miss the others, or end up with a jumbled mess.

Capellan

Explorer
I record our Q-Ship sessions. Only way I have any chance of keeping track of every clever thing the PCs say / do for story hour purposes. There's just too much going on to get it all by taking notes as we play.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases