The last colony OOC thread

DarkMaster

First Post
Once again I am calling players on this board to help me continue define my homebrew. I like using Pbp because they give me time to think and integrate the new region, culture and concepts with the old one. This would be my third game in my homebrew, the other two have been running for more than a years each(with some break here and there for vacation or familial issue). So I am looking for dedicated players.

The story will begin on a small continent/Island about the half the size of Australia (Kernarg in honor of the great Kronerg explorer), located in the Collur Sea (better known as the Sea of Peace). The sheer size of that sea is the only reason why the Kronerg Republic and the Axyrian Empire are still at peace. None of the two super powers have enough ressources and power to battle each other directly, so they stay at peace officially.

Both superpowers are pretty advanced in magetech (think Eberron) but the magic is mostly limited to the extremely wealthy and governemental organisation (especially in the Axyrian Empire).

Both super power control about a quarter of the continent (Axyr in the west and the Republic in the east.) the rest of the continent is dominated by mountain and jungle inhabited by the local population (Think Incas and Maya) is slowly loosing ground to both colony. 4 major tribes survived: The Merto in the mountain(Human, dwarf and half-dwarf and some wild tribes of Goliath), The Cruf in living in the northern Isolated Marsh of Grutru (population consisting mostly of human, lizardman and half-lizardman). The Verdar living in the jungle (Mostly wood elf, with some gnome) and The Bornom (human highly developed civilisation, think Mayan)

The Merto, Cruf and Verdar are currently allied with the empire and the Bornom with the Republic. But things change quickly. The four tribes and two superpowers are now all fighting for the control of the Island. Forging and breaking alliance like they change coat. Only the Bornom and the Republic have a strong alliance.

The two superpowers have been on the Island for about 30 years. In the last 5 years tension between the two colony degenerated and figthing is now a fairly common thing.

The story will begin in a small Kernarg trading post a few miles away from Tolmoto the Bornom Capital.

The PC can be from any of Nationality/Race described above and below

Kernarg Humans are usually tall and elven looking other race are fairly standard (human is the dominant race in that culture)

Axyrian (human, elf and halfling the dominant races)are usually tall, dark haired and naturally tanned. Other race are average looking and considered inferior races (The current empress is an elven lady).

If you want you could be from another nationality (We can discuss the details) who is seeking fame and fortune in the new colony as trader/mercenary/adventurer.

I would also like to have at least one PC from the trading post (Free Soldier from the Republic, Slave, Local trader,etc...) The merchandise traded at the post are the following (Gem from the mountains, Exotic Furs, Exotic Magical component from various rare magical beast only found on the Island and Borca leaf used to make cigar or a yellow pasty drug when refined.

so 2nd level character, any Wotc book class/race. 900gold, 32 pts buy and average HP method listed in the DMG and do not be scared of writing background as I will try to build the campaign around these elements. I will take 4-6 players not on a first come first serve basis.

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
These don't seem to appear on the map you posted in the Mergovia thread. It's a big world you're developing. If its half as good as the Mergovia thread, it will still be great. I'm sadly overextended, or I'd love to join. (I'm trying to figure out how I could rationalize starting another game...)

Any chance this group will meet either of the others?

DarkMaster

First Post
Yes they might meet the others, but I can't say more.

The map I provided is a map of Mergovia about half the size of spain. The rich Kingdom still resisting the Axyrian empire in the south (not on the map) and the barbarian tribes(where Solomon was born) in the west.

As you are starting to discover the small country is at the center of something very important, something that can reshape the futur of the region and shift the balance of power.

This campaing will occur far away from Mergovie. I will finish the maps soon and I will post them.

And you are always welcomed in my games Manzanita.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Wow, this sounds pretty exciting. I've done a little background reading on your other threads, and it seems like I would really enjoy your DMing style, as well as the feel of your homebrew.

So I'd love to get into this. I'm feeling myself drawn to a few different concepts - a Wood Elf druid of the Verdar tribe, a Lizardman Ranger of the Cruf, or else a soldier of the Republic who's stationed at the Trading Post.

I'm not certain yet which one is going to end up appealing more to me, so if you have a preference or any advice as to which concept would best fit in with the game you have planned, please do say.

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Okay. :)

In that case I'll just have to see which character suggests itself most strongly to me I think... I'll think about it, and probably start work on a character in earnest this evening.

Also... I've searched your other threads, but haven't found an answer to this, so sorry if I'm just missing it... do you have any information available on religion in your homebrew world? And are the same deities worshipped here as elsewhere in the world?

DarkMaster

First Post
Standard D&D Religion.

But various Region have different approaches and rituals for the same god.

If you look into the Hero of Axyr, you can get a good example of what I am talking about. The PC called Morrison is a Cleric of Fharlang from another southern Axyrian Colony.

Fharlang example
look at post 121.

Last edited:

Ranger Rick

First Post
I would also like to have at least one PC from the trading post (.... Local trader,

DarkMaster, I wonder what you think of a human who through ancient ancestory is a Aasimar. He would be a local trader. A charismatic rogue that will try to buy his wares from those coming into the area than sell them to the Post itself. He does this because the owner of the trading post is a sniveling cheat who never gives a fair deal to anyone but the PC. The reason for the fair deal is the owner was one of the 1st people over and the PC's father save the owner's family & goods from cutthroat saliors. This debt to the PC's family was never forgotten. While the owner still does a fair deal with the PC, he is growing resentful of lost profits.

The PC's family are local farmers of the Borca leaf. The PC will have been born at the colony.

Eluvan

First Post
Ah, okay, thanks a lot. Fantastic. :)

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I'm leaning towards the druid at the moment. I'm thinking of something of a prophet, who has foreseen in his dreams the destruction of his tribe and their ancestral lands. His visions have driven him to leave on a journey of his own in a quest to find a way to prevent this.

I'll make sure the visions he has received are suitably vague so that they can be made to fit most any plot hook you care to toss at him. ;)

DarkMaster

First Post
Why not, would you want your character to have some benefits (balanced by something else of course) for having Aasimar blood? like bloodlines in UA.

I also assume the PC you are refering to would be another PC?

and Charismatic/social PC are always useful in my games.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases