OOC - Planescape: A Hopeless Beginning

Eluvan

First Post
You awake on a cold, hard floor, with a headache and fuzzy memories of a very bad day indeed. The cell in which you lie is cramped and cold, and all around is an unnerving silence broken only by an unchanging, droning hum. The floor is vibrating ever so slightly, and there is a slight sense of motion, as of a ship in calm waters. Somehow these faint sense impressions seem oddly heightened, and even the drab metallic interior of the cell, and the unadorned corridor that can be seen through the bars, seem to press keenly on the senses. There are others here with you, a number of other slumped bodies littering the floor of the cell. Outside is a bored looking ogre guard, leaning idly against the wall with his unsheathed sword hanging loosely from one hand.

The scene is unchanging for some time before gradually a subtle change in the ambient noise becomes apparent. Behind the droning that seems to emanate from beneath the floor is another frequency, a kind of high pitched whistling. It is quiet at first, barely audible, but it grows quickly in volume until even the half-asleep guard seems to notice it with some apparent alarm, looking round in fearful puzzlement for its source. It keeps growing in volume. There are other noises now, thumping from above that sounds like heavy, running footfalls. The ogre turns and begins to lope heavily down the corridor, but before he goes out of sight there is a sickening lurch and he is thrown from his feet. The whistling outside has become a scream, and it continues to rise to a crescendo that drowns out all other noise except for a hideous creaking snap as something structual gives way.

There is another lurch, much more violent than the first, and the shrieking cacophany outside cuts off suddenly. Then there is a last horrifying moment of motion, falling at a horribly uncontrolled speed, and a final jolt. Everything is chaos and pain for a brief moment as you are flung like a rag doll across the cell and then fall through space and land with a crushing thump, and then you find yourself lying on cold, dirty stone. Above you the scene is confusing, but slowly comes to make some kind of sense. You are lying amidst rubble at the bottom of a tall, imposing stone wall that rises for perhaps twenty feet before it is interrupted by the keel of the back half of a ship that appears to be embedded in it. Through a large hole where the hull has split in the bottom - or what is now the bottom, at any rate - can be seen the cell you were lying in just a few moments ago.

A small crowd of rather unavoury looking characters - mostly humans and tieflings - is already gathering rapidly around to stare down at you curiously.

Captured by slavers, thrown through a colour pool in the middle of an Astral storm, and flung to earth somewhere unpleasant. All in a day's work.

Who'd be a Planar traveller? Well, you guys, hopefully. :)

I'm looking for a number of players to torment entertain with fantastic and improbable Planar escapades. Much as I like the dark, politicking, byzantine side to Planescape, I'm going for something different here. The tone of the game will be pulpy action and swashbuckling adventure rather than dark intrigue. That's not to day there'll be no moral dilemmas or any of the rest of it - I'd never promise something like that :p - but they won't be the focus.

So, guidelines for character creation. Starting level will be 8th. You have standard wealth for a character of that level - that's 27,000 gp. Spend it at character creation, but be aware that you won't actually start with it... you just escaped from a slaver ship after all. Don't worry though, you'll get a chance to get it back quickly enough. Characters will be rolled via the Grid Method at Invisible Castle. I'm sympathetic to the plight of players who roll truly terrible stats, so if you end up with a net modifier of +4 or less, or no one stat of 16 or better, I will allow you to reroll. HP will be average, so at even levels it will be half the maximum HD and at odd levels one point more than that (i.e. a Barbarian gets 12 at 1st level, 6 at 2nd, 7 at 3rd, 6 at 4th, and so on). ECL characters and monster progressions a la Savage Species are not only allowed, but positively encouraged. :)

Books I have: Core books, MMII and III, the Complete books, lots of FR books, the Eberron CS, BoED, BoVD, Planar Handbook, Manual of the Planes, Savage Species, and the Expanded Psionics Handbook.

Stuff from any of those is very likely to be okay, though I reserve the right to veto individual things like some of the feats and PrCs from BoED and VD. If you have any weird ideas for a PC and don't know how to make them work within the rules, run them by me. If the idea seems to be based around style or RP potential rather than just beating stuff up better, I'm very likely to work with you to find a way to implement it.

What I'm looking for in PCs: for this game, the main thing you need to have is a flair for the dramatic, or at least an aptitude for roleplaying that. I'm hoping for a troupe of flamboyant swashbuckling adventurers, not a bunch of stoic amnesiacs or haunted, monosyllabic lone wolves.

To the end of giving the game a swashbuckling feel, I'll be giving out bonuses (both XP bonuses and positive modifiers to your rolls) for well described and stylish actions. Think Exalted, if anybody has played that - same idea of rewarding cool stunts.

Note, though, that when I say it's a swashbuckling game... that doesn't mean you need to play a Swashbuckler as per the class in Complete Warrior (though you can if you want). See dictionary.com -

Swashbuckler
n.

1. A flamboyant swordsman or adventurer.

So there you have it. Swashbuckling is about flamboyant attitude, not getting an Int bonus to damage. ;)

Recruiting for this game is now close, though I'm still accepting alts if anybody wants a place on the ever-growing list. ;)

Players:

AmorFati
Scotley
JimAde
Goddess FallenAngel
Tylermalan
Hypersmurf

Alts:
Deuce Traveler
Sargon the Kassadian (?)
Shayuri
LogicsFate
Lobo Lurker
Keia

Last edited:

AmorFati

First Post
I'm in for sure! Going to be away the next few hours, but I'll be posting the first draft of my character laster today. Will most likely aim for a melee character, most likely something from savage species! :D

Eluvan

First Post
Cool, good to have you guys on board.

And Shayuri, sorry about that, didn't mean to get you all excited for nothing. :p But if more than two of the players who have so far expressed interest decide they don't have time, or don't like the direction I've taken the premise, you're in. So there's hope. :D

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention for when you come to make characters... obviously, whatever your character background is, the game starts with you having been recently captured by slavers. I don't mind how you get to that point - maybe an employer screwed you over and sold you into slavery, maybe they just happened by you while you were camping out... I don't mind. You can have been captured individually, or as a group - in which case obviously there needs to be some collaboration on backgrounds, and you'll presumably know each other beforehand. I'd love it if you guys did that, but it would of course mean a little coordination and extra effort. So it's up to you guys.

JimAde

First Post
I'm definitely up for it if there's still a spot! I haven't even read the blurb yet (have to run to a meeting) but I'm all about buckling the swash! :)

I'll read and respond for real this afternoon.

Remove ads