Bruce Campbell's latest... Bubba Ho-Thep?

Krug

Newshound
http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/t020610a.htm

"Bubba Ho-Tep" probably has some of the deepest character development ever seen in a horror film, comedy, or a cross of the genres, as this is. We find Elvis Presley (Campbell), the King of Rock n' Roll, 68 years old, grey in the sideburns and recovering from a broken hip and lengthy coma. He resides in Mud Creek Shady Rest Convalescence Home, in Mud Creek, Texas, and suffers from bad dreams, memories of the past relentlessly haunting him, strange visions, guilt, remorse, and sorrow. Elvis fleshes out his past in great, emotional detail, from the reasons he switched places with an Elvis impersonator named Sebastian Haff, to the accident that landed him in Mud Creek.
Which maybe can't be said for Jack Kennedy, the former U.S. president, played with perfected graceful insanity by the fantastic Ossie Davis. JFK has his own reasons for still being alive, as well as his own phobias... particularly, the fear of being assassinated. So when an apparent infestation of large, aggressive bugs shows up at Shady Rest, followed by a scary figure picking off the elderly residents one by one, day after day, Jack gets worried. After he's actually attacked, he enlists Elvis's help, and the geriatric duo find a new zest for life in the adventure of saving Shady Rest from having its residents' souls sucked out through their arseholes by a mummy wearing cowboy duds.

Jack Kennedy + Elvis vs The Mummy. How can you not love it? :D

hong

WotC's bitch
Men in Black. It's got to have Men in Black.

And the Illuminatifnord.

Hong "is RAW acting as a story advisor?" Ooi

Black Omega

First Post
And the sad thing is, this sounds so much better than his all time awful 'Jack of Trades' TV series. Now THAT was Cleopatra 2525 level bad.

Staffan

Legend
Black Omega said:
And the sad thing is, this sounds so much better than his all time awful 'Jack of Trades' TV series. Now THAT was Cleopatra 2525 level bad.
That's probably why they packaged them together.

reapersaurus

First Post
Black Omega said:
Sorry I'm not going to follow "The Way of the Internet", and agree that something absolutely galactically sucked when it didn't, but let me ask:
What was bad about JoaT for a TV SHOW?

Black Omega

First Post
reapersaurus said:
Sorry I'm not going to follow "The Way of the Internet", and agree that something absolutely galactically sucked when it didn't.
Why, did a bunch of people on the Internet say it was bad? I never bothered to look at any messages boards relating to the show.

What was bad about JoaT for a TV SHOW?
I really would have trouble finding a place to start. I liked Bruce Campbell in Hercules, Xena, and especially in Brisco County. But I found JoaT to be just about unwatchable. I caught two eps and the poor acting, painfully bad dialogue and paper thin plot and lack of fun, mindless action simply left me cold. Maybe I just caught the two worst eps, I avoided the series after that.:)

reapersaurus

First Post
maybe you missed the part that it was a comedy?

Bad acting? Bad dialogue?
In a over-the-top comedy laced with some of the wittiest double-entendres in TV history? (OK, that's going to the extreme, but I'll bet I could make a case)

As for the internet's opinion, I never got an impression re: JOAT.
But the show had some hardcore fans that appreciated its charms.

Black Omega

First Post
reapersaurus said:
maybe you missed the part that it was a comedy?

Bad acting? Bad dialogue?
In a over-the-top comedy laced with some of the wittiest double-entendres in TV history? (OK, that's going to the extreme, but I'll bet I could make a case)

As for the internet's opinion, I never got an impression re: JOAT.
But the show had some hardcore fans that appreciated its charms.
Well, I'd figured it was supposed to be a comedy. Most Bruce Campbell stuff at least has elements of comedy. But in his other shows the comedy was funny.:) I'm sure the show has some very loyal fans. For me personally, JoaT was the only thing I've seen from Bruce Campbell I could not stand at all.

heirodule

First Post
Jack of All Trades lost some lustre to me when I relaized teh set up was almost exactly like Hogans Heroes, in that the ruler of the island was too stupid for the job, and when Jack had to help him keep his job so that Jack could continue his dogoodism.

Paul

Remove ads