can anyone recommend music for a Victorian/steampunk campaign?

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm currently preparing a dark Victorian/steampunk campaign and I want to use some "extras" to really capture the mood and feel of the setting, which will mainly be a gritty, large, and highly industrialized city.

I would like to find some really depressing classical/Victorian music, especially some cathedral pipe organ music.

Anyone have any ideas?

Wombat

First Post
I'll try to stay within the general Victorian-or-before timeline; otherwise I'd be suggesting Arvo Part and Shostakovich...

Well, the best pipe organ music is still going to be from The Master -- Johann Sebastian Bach. The Little Fugue and Tocatta & Fugue in D Minor are the basis. Go from there ;)

Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain is another useful one to keep on hand.

Depending on how you interpret it, Beethoven's 5th could be fairly "dark". And the 3rd is just cool :cool: Along a similar line, Mozart's Requiem is great.

Then there's the Danse Macabre and Danse Infernal -- problem is I'm spacing on the composers... I know Saint-Saens does one of them...

There was a compliation put together about 10 years amething like "Hallow'en Classics" - it resurfaces every year about this time in the run-up to Hallowe'en. You could always look for that. :) Oh, and the soundtrack to Requiem for a Dream is about as dark and brooding as it gets, though mostly outside the Victorian era.

Zweihänder

First Post
If you're looking for more modern music that fits, some stuff by Nightwish is appropriate. Some of it is too far towards metal, but a few of the songs truly get down to their operatic roots.

Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to pimp out the best band ever.

GlassJaw

Hero
Hey, thanks Wombat! Looks like I found an expert on the subject. :D

Can you recommend any albums of performanced of the composers you listed? (especially the Bach fugues).

Zweihänder said:
Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to pimp out the best band ever.

Umm, yeah, not so much. They sound like a cheesy Dream Theater IMO. :p

Warrior Poet

Explorer
You could also look into Richard Strauss (responsible for such classics as Also sprach Zarathustra, which could work, as long as it doesn't make you think of 2001: A Space Odyssey :) ), whose music would have been widely appreciated at the time. His "Serenade for 13 Winds" might work well. It's from 1881 (he was 17 when he wrote it, and received much acclaim). There's also his Don Juan, from around 1889. Since the Victorian era ends in 1901, much of his later work might not be authentically "Victorian," though there's no reason you couldn't look into those, too (such as his Don Quixote cello suites -- look for the Jacqueline du Pre recordings).

In addition to Night on Bald Mountain already mentioned, Mussorgsky's entire Pictures at an Exhibition is a good work grounded in the period.

There's Edvard Grieg, noted Norwegian composer of the period, especially the "Piano Concerto in A minor."

Johannes Brahms, often considered to be the great inheritor of Beethoven's romanticism, wrote some tremendous music during that era. Pick up just about anything, frankly. With Brahms, like Bach and Beethoven (the three "Bs"), it's all good.

If you're looking for music to launch an air cavalry strike by (just kidding), there's Richard Wagner, famous for such tunes as The Ride of the Valkyries and the Ring cycle. Lots to mine there.

Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony is very tragic, which could be good for, uh, well, tragic sections of the game.

If you like symphonies that last five and six hours long and involve 100 piece orchestras, try Gustav Mahler.

Chopin, Shumann, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Lizst, Sibelius, Rachmaninov, Berlioz, Holst, Verdi, Puccini. All composed during that period, and produced some of the iconic music pieces of those (or any) era.

As for labels, Deutsche Grammophon is always good (although I think I heard recently they're having production problems and are reducing their output; anyone know if that's true?), as are Sony and EMI classics. Recordings are always going to vary, depending on who was conducting and which orchestra, soloist, or instrumental group was recorded. Great conductors (these aren't necessarily Victorian, just good conductors regardless of era) to look for include Leopold Stakowski ("Luh- luh- luh- Leopold!"), Sir Georg Solti, Claudio Abbado, and Herbert van Karajan, to name a few. Superior orchestras include the Berlin Philharmonic, the New York Philharmonic, the London Symphony Orchestra, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Vienna Philharmonic, etc.

Good luck!

Warrior Poet

Wombat

First Post
GlassJaw said:
Can you recommend any albums of performanced of the composers you listed? (especially the Bach fugues).

I'll have to get back to you on this, as many of my cds (and books) are in storage at the moment.

In general, Deutsche Grammaphon puts out good, solid performances; if you want to try something and you are unsure whether you'll like it or not, I'd suggest he Naxos label, simply because they are so cheap. With Naxos you either get older performances or orchestras and soloists that you haven't heard of; in general the stuff is pretty good, though the older performances may sound a bit tinny.

And obviously Warrior Poet really knows his stuff, too, especially for the end date stuff :)

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Wombat said:
And obviously Warrior Poet really knows his stuff, too, especially for the end date stuff :)
Thanks; it's kind of you to say so, but really, I'm a rank amateur. I really like a great deal of classical music, but I know very little. However, I'm lucky to have a very good friend who also happens to be a classical violinist and violist, and he's extremely knowledgeable. Every time I talk to him, it's like a musical history lesson!

Thanks again, and good luck, GlassJaw!

Warrior Poet

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases