Keep on the Borderlands...of the Demon Wastes

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
I cross posted this on the WOTC site, but I figure I'll get better responses here.

So I'm looking at doing a total conversion of (B2) Keep on the Borderlands, but in the Eberron setting. I think I'm going to drop it west of Alvirad, in the Eldeen Reaches, at the slopes of the Icehorn Mountains.

It's going to be a Brelish outpost, put into place to scour the surrounding area of resources and as a base of operation for expiditions into the mountains and across into the Wastes.

I'm posting because, for those of you familiar with the adventure, what ideas do you have for incorporating Eberron flavors, creatures, etc.

I'm thinking the Caves of Chaos will be home to several goblinoids and orcs who have fallen under the leadership of an evil force, a demon from the Wastes and the cultists that worship it.

Klaus

First Post
Not too familiar with B2, but I just wanted to chime in and suggest that you make it an Aundarian outpost, since Aundair controlled the entire Eldeen Reaches up until the Last War, when the Eldeen residents seized the opportunity to rebel and declare independence.

I would not include goblinoids, but rather shifters from the Eldeen Reaches and orcs from the Demon Wastes. You can always have a Rakshasa in there (or several, including the zakya from the ECS and the ones from MMIII).

Henry

Autoexreginated
I wanted to second Klaus -- If Breland had a secret outpost near the Demon wastes, Aundair or the Eldeen Reachers would consider it VERY tacky, if not an outright hostile placement. Not saying you couldn't, but you should logically prepare for this possibility. The 'reachers wouldn't be so hostile to an Aundairan outpost, however, I don't think.

As for critters, I wouldn't suggest goblins, as they're more of a Droaam/Breland/Darguun thing (and not even Droaam, really). Demons are in abundance, if you need little guys like goblins and kobolds, and you could use something like dretches, or possibly a made-up 1 hit dice demon to take the place of the kobolds and the like. For that region, if you want to keep it close to Book-consistency, the "Monster Hotel" of the Caves of Chaos may not work plausibly, especially since 9/10th of the monsters are not common to the Demon Wastes.

If you set it somewhere on the Breland/Droaam Border, however, the whole module would probably fit like a jigsaw puzzle piece in its intended slot. :) Keep on the edge of the kingdom, neither monsters nor keep outright attack one another because of the political situation, so they have to tolerate one another's presence within 5 miles of one another, but both have raiding parties that "plausibly deny" one another. Heck, it may be the most perfect home for B2 there ever was. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases