9th Circle Heist:: Abyssal D&D (closed! See OOC thread)

Hi all. I am doing pretty well with my current PbP campaign- The Honeymarsh Academy. By this time I have managed to get my mapping system under control and Honeymarsh is going along pretty well. We're in the dungeon part, which is the 'meat' of the adventure, and pretty much the final part. I want to run a sequel afterwards too. The reason I am establishing this is so that you know I am not going to flake out on the game after kicking it off. I'm really into structure lately- so the game has a beginning, chapter breaks where experience is doled out, and at the end, an ending.

I'd like to announce this new game:

This is an adventure wherein a group of demonic/evil/monstrous characters carry out a heist against an Archdevil's castle.

I won't give out too many other details other than your characters are all assumed to know each other, and you all work for the same Demon Lord.

Character creation guidelines:

D&D 3.5.

ECL of 10 15. ECL is equal to the Level Adjustment listed + the monsters hit dice + any character levels. So a Gargoyle with 4HD is ECL 9 (4HD +5LA) before you start adding on class levels. The templates are probably easiest to use.

ONLY these races may be chosen. All of them affect the ECL, some of them severely.

Ghost: (ECL of +5) - template: core will be human or elven.
Vampire: (ECL of +8) - template: core race will be human.
Gargoyle: (ECL of +5)
Nycter (this is in MMIII- ECL +2)
Dretch (Demon): (ECL of +2)
Succucbus (Demon): (ECL of +6)
Half-Fiend (Demon): (ECL of +4) - template: core race will be human.
Lich (min 11th lvl spellcaster + template adjustment)

Almost any class/prestige class is acceptable (no paladins, haha- unless you have a fallen paladin or something). I had hoped to include more undead, but couldn't find too many undead races with level adjustment. If you know of one and want to use it, let me know.

Full 15th level money (200,000 gp) according to DMG table 5-1. You may shop right out of the DMG or any approved WOTC 3.5 book. Some 3.0 books may also be acceptable. Just ask.

My preferred method is 4d6 drop the lowest score, arrange as you like. Please roll stats at Invisible castle and link the stat post.

Me as a DM:

I'm not big on long flaky pointless conversations between characters. Interesting conversations, yes. Pointless conversations where characters discuss the ale and wenches for 2 pages in order to display their roleplaying prowess.. eh.. not so much.

I like combats and encounters, and I developed a mapping system to play them out. I won't hesitate to use tactics such as trip attacks, flanking, power attack, etc. So you shouldn't either.

I deal well with action and action-oriented characters.

I think players who make plans should be rewarded if its a good plan. Even a bad plan is better than no plan.

I use InvisibleCastle.com to do dice rolling. I generally do all the rolling when it goes into action rounds, but if someone really wants to roll, we can work things out.

As a DM, I think players should be empowered and I will play by the same rulebook as they do. If I ever overrule something I'll always explain why, and it should be very rare. It may never happen. In real life, I don't use a DM screen.

That said, the dice are sometimes cruel. I won't fudge the killing roll.

I love spellcasters.

I like to give out OOC information and background and expect players to keep OOC and IC information seperate voluntarily. Some players have a skill for playing off the OOC details to create interesting situations. I think this is great.

I don't like arguments or player vs player stuff in general. I think it often derails the fun. I realize I am taking a risk here with an 'evil' campaign, but I'll try and keep it under control.

If you are interested, please post a character according to the guidelines.

EDITS: Nycter is LA +2, dropped Hezrou and Vrock, raised ECL to 15!

Last edited:

Pencil and paper

First Post
holy cow. I must play this. :)

I will use over the weekend to pick or find something i could play.

Never played a evil character, this is gonna be fantastic.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Erm really?
The idea sounds intresting but the math is odd.
character level should be LA + HD for monsters.

Vrock LA 8 + 10 HD = 18th char.
Succubus LA 6 + 6 HD = 12th char

Ferrix

Explorer
Some Undead for the list:

Ghost LA +5
Ghast 4 HD + LA 4
Ghoul 2 HD + LA 3
Wight 4 HD + LA 4
Deathlock 3 HD + LA 3
Dessicator 4 HD + LA 3
Gravetouched Ghoul LA +3
Half-Vampire LA +2 (not really undead, but still cool)
Mummified Creature LA +4
Necropolitan LA +0 (-1 level)

Evil halfling- you are right. I have been doing it a bit wrong (I've never dealt with an ECL greater than two before!)

However, I'm still going to go ahead with my plan. I'll drop Hezrou and Vrock from the list, and raise the ECL to 15.

Ferrix can you give me the sources for all of your monster races? I am definitely going to put in Ghost. I wanted to put in Ghasts and Ghouls (the original concept was going to be ghouls and gargoyles) but they dont have an 'official' level adjustment I could find.

I don't have Libris Mortis, but I plan on getting it.

Ferrix

Explorer
Also, the Nyctar should be LA +2, not +1.

All of those undead are from Libris Mortis, and it includes level adjustments and even monster classes for most of the undead from the MM.

I put in Ferrix's Nycter edit. I guess I should add "I don't mind being called on the rule if I get it wrong." to my DMing philosophy. I really don't, as long as it doesn't cause a massive retcon.

Finally- the game will hopefully kick off on October 1st! I definitely won't kick it off before October, and there will be a maximum of 5 characters.

Pencil and paper

First Post
I believed that the charactes where taken oput from the monster manual, i looked in some boxes that stands under some other boxes, that stands under other boxes.... you got the idea.
Found the monster manual and.... nothing.

Could you provide a list of books? maybe its something i can purchase this evening.

-PaP-

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases