• Old Jamiben the Hermit

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • The Black Orb

Votes: 5 18.5%

• Poll closed .

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is the final preliminary heat and wil be followed with the final deciding heat. I'm fairly sure I've got the right entries this time! :)

For those who need reminding, the Mini Encounter Contest can be found right here. The prize is a whole package of Fiery Dragon goodies, which go to the six final winners.

Apologies for the delays, folks. I admit that I got distracted and this contest completely slipped my mind. Luckily, KDLadage reminded me!

Voting will last approx 3 days.

FireLance

Legend
At this point, all I'm hoping for is to get some feedback on my entry. So as not to skew the voting :rolleyes:, would anyone who is still interested to comment let me know?

Off to work on my entry for the WOTC setting design contest now.

Nail

First Post
heh.....

Morrus said:
Apologies for the delays, folks. I admit that I got distracted and this contest completely slipped my mind. Luckily, KDLadage reminded me!

Well, well, well....looky what we got here.......

..I admit, I started t' lose intrest...oh, say 3 months ago, or so....

Still, Morrus has been up t' 'is neck in "stuff" fer th' last few months, so I'll be generous. I won't break 'is knee-caps. I'm such a softy.....

Now: let's see about these last entries....

-Nail

KDLadage

Explorer
I wonder which one you wrote... :rolleyes:

(sarcasm and good natured humor -- it was sarcasm and good natured humor)

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
Wow....has it been a long time........

Morrus said:
This is the final preliminary heat......<snip>
...I sure hope so, Morrus! :^)

This set was one of the hardest 't judge: not only has it been a long time since I last thought about how to judge this contest, but also this entire batch of entries had problems addressing the unique location requirement of the rules.

In other words: Hey, great NPC ideas; but lousey location ideas, guys......and y'all did want criticism, right? :^)

Le'see...... In order of amazingness (weakest first):

• Interrupt the Arms (EL 10)
    Probably the weakest of the bunch in terms of NPC and location. It's a caravan, on a road......an addin' a cleric of St. Cuthbert doesn't make it any more interestin'. On top of that: the format is too long. Poor Mistwell's gonna have a seizure over here, guys, if ya keep this up.......
  • Harmonies in the Snow (EL 8)
    Haven't we voted on this one before? I'm pretty sure.....
  • Kommag's Box (EL 5)
    Alright, this box idea is interestin'...but the NPC and location are both rather un-memorable. A dwarf in a .......<wait fer it>.....forge. Yup. Gotcha. Pretty sure I've heard o' that one.

The location is well detailed, as is the NPC. Good stuff....just not very interestin'.
  • Wanderers of the Forest (EL 6-7)
    This one lost me completely: how is the community supposed to be an NPC? If that's the intent, why isn't the "NPC" (village)given a separate page, with all the relevant "stats"?

Moreover, there's some definite "fudging" going on here: there are actually 2 locations given, not one, as per the rules. We've got th' spot fer the griffin combat, and then the village. If the village is the NPC, and not a location, then why doesn't it figure into the griffin attack? Not good, kiddo.
  • Hunt of the Black Hound (EL 3)
    I like the gnoll hunter idea.....too many times we see these guys as howling, slobbering idiots closing in on th' PCs en masse. ...But the gnoll druid seemed like an after thought, rather than a rivetting NPC around which the encounter was based. Sorta like: "Oh shoot, I gotta stick a cool NPC in here too, ta satisfy th' rules!" And his motivation for approaching the party ("Me need silver") seems pretty weak.

The location is really not at all present here: could be the PCs camp, could be the Yeth Hound's cave....but it's not clear which the author meant ta be "the location, separatable from the PCs". This one is a good encounter...it's just not following the guidelines of this contest.
  • The Black Orb (EL 17)
    Hmmmm. "No saving throw to resist the sleep"? Ya lost me right there. And...what about elves, wise guy?

• In Rage And Still Waters (El 6)
    An interesting NPC, and a decent location. The history of the location doesn't seem to quite explain the pool's magical properties, but I can let that go. The real stumbling block for me was the wolverine: Why isn't he still with his companions? That's a huge, monster question, that needs to be answered.
  • Revenge (EL 9) (.zip file)
    ...Alright: I finally downloaded an Unzip utility, just to read this one. Now my boss will find it on th' work-computer, and kill me. I hope you appreciate this huge sacrifice!! :^)

The location is.....grrrr...another road. Awww, come on! Surely there are cooler mage-ambush-places out there! Come on, buddy, give me something ta work with here!

The NPC is a human evoker. ...Okay. And he's got a great, PC-killer spell list. .....Alright. And then what?

The next three were the best of this bunch, IMHO.
  • Man Against Beast (EL 7)
    The location here is the magic item/monolith. How we get th' PCs there is....left up to th' DM. It is a very interesting way of curing lycanthropy....but more needs to be done with th' location to make it truely unique. "On a barren plain.." just doesn't quite have th' right punch to it.

The NPC (the weretiger) can't really be separated from the location, without making him rather run-o-the-mill.
  • The Stairwell (EL 12)
    I'll just open up an' say it: I'd hate to be a non-min/maxed PC in this guy's campaign. It'd hurt.

This is a dangerous, complicated trap, but one that might very well fit in a wizard's abode. I'm pretty confident the spider climb tile is not made correctly; according to core rules "spell completion' can only be done by someone with that spell on his/her class list. Golems have no spell lists! There are better ways to give the golem spider climb -- just give it to him as a spell-like ability!

There is really no NPC for this entry, which is why I didn't vote fer it. The gollum ain't no NPC, bub. Water elemental, neither.
  • Old Jamiben the Hermit (EL 13)
    This one gets my nod, but only barely. The "reality shift" mumbo jumbo just smacks of DM heavy-handedness. The cabin is far from unique or interesting. But the NPC saves th' day. Original, interesting, and plausible. The SR and such is too powerful, etc, but that's easy enough to fix. I guess what I'm sayin' here is that by smoothing out the NPC, and enlivining that location a bit more, we'd have a hands-down winner. Needs work, but good job, nonetheless.

So, now on t' th' finals. By G'rr-ieck's beard, I think we just might finish this contest! How about that.

-Nail

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Editorial note - I read these entries hastily, so if I've assumed something incorrectly about them, feel free to flame me. As always, these are my opinion, and should be taken with a grain of salt. If you don't like my comments, so be it. People want opinions, so I'm happy to oblige. I'll try to get through the rest of them when I get a chance. For now, here are comments on the first five entries.

Hunt of the Black Hound
I like this one. The thought of working with a group of gnolls is an interesting twist that is not often seen. Clever DMs can build subsequent adventures off of this one, thought not easily. DMs could devise future meetings with Gurner to further nature's cause, or may have to call on Gurner for information that he might have about the area. The encounter is fairly limited, but is generic
enough that it could be ran in just about any world. What I would have liked to have seen here is some follow-up plots involving the gnolls, and maybe a map to the Yeth Hound. Possibly some information on where the Yeth Hound came from
would have been nice as well.

Kommaq's Box
This is an odd little encounter. Kommaq is a dwarven smith/transmutor that has a smithy outside of town, and has a penchant for magical stuff. I can buy that well enough, but if he's a transmutor himself, why is he having such difficulties opening up this magical box that he's acquired? Surely he has access to the knock spell himself, which the text says will open the box. Some DMs may be a little apprehensive about putting a smith that sells magic items in their world. That aside, the concept is fairly harmless. As an encounter, this is fairly weak, IMHO. Chances are, no low-level wizard is going to pull out this ultra-
magical box in front of a party of strangers and say "can you open this for me, and by the way, don't kill me and take all my stuff." No, more like he's not going to say anything about it. Even if he did, and the PCs accept and open the box, then what? There's nothing more to this encounter. So, Kommaq just says, "thanks, here's your dagger, now get out of my home!" Where's the fun in that? What would have been interesting here is if the box did something, like transports the entire party (including Kommaq) to some strange place, and then they'd have to figure out how to get back home.

Wanderers of the Forest
Ok, this one has some problems. Despite the numerous spelling and grammar errors here, of which I am willing to overlook, there are numerous incorrect things from a game perspective. For starters, why is this hamlet of people so closely tied to hippogriffs? That's never explained. And why is this hamlet, who are so in touch with nature and tranquility out to kill only rare animals? Where's Greenpeace when you need them? Deer have fur, too, why do they only have to kill griffons? That doesn't make any sense. Not to mention the fact that a 5th level Ranger walking through a dense forest should be able to hide from a griffon. It all just doesn't add up.

In Rage and Still Waters
This encounter is just wrong; very, very wrong. I can think of a couple of outcomes of this if I were to actually run it. The party is walking through the forest and they come across Kezra, the wizard wolverine. The PCs see the wolverine with this cloak, decide they want the cloak, and just attack the creature outright. Even if they don't attack the creature, they are bound to look into the pool and see their reflection. All the fighters, and pretty much anyone with a low will save is gonna fail. And then what - they are out of the game, since the curse is permanent until dispelled with spells that a party of this level doesn't have any hopes of having access to. So, the effect of the encounter is that half the party is effectively removed from game play. Since the ones that make their save won't be able to convince those that failed to follow them back to town to get cured. Wow.

Man Against Beast
This is a perfect example of how a game can happen just by walking around in a desolate field! There seems to be a lot of this "The PCs just happen on", or "when you enter the clearing you see...". Maybe I'm just jaded by this kind of encounter. At any rate, the concept of the moon mirror is actually quite unique, and fairly interesting. I'm not entirely clear on what happens if the lycanthropic image is produced and slays the original, and I'm not clear on what might happen if someone without lycanthropy looks into the mirror. And furthermore, why is such a powerful, potent thing out in the middle of a field and not closely guarded in a holy place of a moon god/goddess? This encounter probably works best by inflicting someone with lycanthropy and then having them seek out the moon mirror to remove their afflication. And then a quest could be designed around seeking it out, and getting to (of course in some ancient runes, guarded by Medusae, perhaps).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases