D&D for 2: The Deep Calling OOC thread

Bront

The man with the probe
This game is for Scratched_back and his GF, as offered in the general thread. It is not an open recruitment thread.

I'm open for discussion as to what direction to take, where to start, what level to start, ect. We can discuss options here, and when we're set, I'll start the actual play thread in the Playing the Game forum.

I'll do a quick tutorial on the special formating later. If you have any questions, ask them here.

Usefull online resources:
www.d20srd.org

Last edited:

Scratched_back

First Post
Hi mate, let me begin by showing my appreciation. I really didn't fancy trawling through all those sites blindy looking for a game. This is much better!

With regards to type of game; what are you most comfortable running? Do you have a preference? I personally like games with a healthy dose of intrigue. I feel that combat is essential for a game also, not that I'm a "hack-n-slash" gamer, just that I think it's an important part of D&D, much like roleplaying or problem-solving.

Would it be okay with you if we were set in the Forgotten Realms? It's the setting I'm most familiar with, therefore the only setting Sarajaine is familiar with at all. Just think it'll be easier this way, I have all the maps here I can show her etc.

As far as a character, I can't speak for my girlfriend (she's still thinking anyway), but I'd just put together a concept for a Bard for a campaign that ended before it began. I'd really like to give that a shot just because I've never played a Bard before and I think this textual roleplay-intense environment would be perfect.

How are we handling stat-generation and stuff by the way?

I'm really excited mate, I have to say, and we're both grateful for the opportunity. I'll post more about character/background/concept tomorrow for you to look at. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
I have some ideas for stat generation. I'll probably do what I did in Hanable's Hunters (Check out the first post in my sig for more detail), as for starting level, that's variable.

Stats: Pick one set to use (These are your stats as of Level 1 before racial mods)
Set 1: 18, 17, 15, 12, 11, 8
Set 2: 16, 16, 15, 13, 11, 10
Set 3: 15, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12
Set 4: 18, 15, 15, 15, 10, 8
Set 5: 16, 15, 14, 13, 13, 10
Set 6: 18, 17, 17, 13, 8, 8
Set 7: 18, 17, 15, 15, 10, 6
Set 8: 18, 14, 13, 13, 12, 11

As far as the world setting, Unfortunately, I'm actualy quite FR Illiterate, but Eberron I know fairly well, or I can do a fairly open generic setting, which will allow a more freeform setting and character generation to take place. I tend to make people and events more inportant that locations in my games, so ultimately it may not matter. I could fudge some FR if needed though.

She should sign up for an account and stop in. Maybe brainstorm a bit.

I have no problem with anything Core (SRD), and most WotC supliments (Races of, and Complete at least). I enjoy slightly more powerful characters (Hense my starting stat set). Personaly, I think the Bard is an excelent and usefull choice, and many of it's more subtle powers are overlooked by many.

As for the campaign and tone, I could all sorts of things.
1) 2 Star Crossed lovers fleeing from their Noble families
2) Court intreague between multiple families
3) Ultimate prophacy (Stop the war, beat the bad guy, rescue the fair member of the opposit sex, and maybe even look good doing it, though it's all been fortold)
4) Wandering Adventurers
5) Two random souls drawn togeather by some unknown force
6) etc. (All sorts of things)

I'm all open. Depends on if you want to deal with an in character romance (with her obviously I wouldn't recomend it the other way), how you want to start, ect. I find lower levels are good for initial development, and will let her learn a simpler character (rules wise) before it gets more complicated with more diversity that a higher level means. Again, I'd like your input, and hers too.

Anyway, glad to help, and I'm sure we'll get something agreeable and fun.

Aquatica

First Post
Hi there,

I'm Scratched_back's GF and I was interested in playing a half aquatic elf / favoured soul (Complete Divine)

The concept of two random souls drawn together is something I was keen on and although forgotten realms is somewhere we are both familiar with, any generic setting would be fine.

Ben and I had an idea this morning for an opening setting which involves the bard being thrown out of a tavern by the locals because they didn't like him playing his lute and him feeling melancholy because nobody appreciates his musical ability. He finds himself wandering to the sea shore and perching himself on a piece of driftwood he begins to play again. My character is swimming nearby looking for oyster pearls and hears the enchanting melody through the water. She surfaces intrigued and an event occurs (which we are debating) which brings them together.

Let me know what you think :)

Scratched_back

First Post
I agree with starting at low levels entirely. I think characters that start at anything above 1st can miss out on some vital character development. "Do you remember the time that Kobold chased you a mile and a half before we got to you?" kind of thing is just skipped over completely. I also completely agree with the learning the rules and ropes being a lot easier from 1st too, so for those reasons I think we should start at 1st.

We've both been talking these last few days about our character backgrounds, and I think we're on the verge of writing something with individual histories but an event at the end that brought the two of us together.

I'll take a look at the stats and prepare my character in full either tonight or tomorrow for you to look at, and I shall sit down with my girlfriend and we'll generate her character and I'll explain the fundamentals to her. As you said CORE + COMPLETES + RACES OF only, easiest way to do things.

Bront

The man with the probe
Interesting, and that's good background. Remember, there's some point where you two can just write yourselves togeather (And that's probobly a good place to start, having just met).

Did you have a particular deity type in mind? I think I have access to FR deities, or any of the Greyhawk Deities are fine, or you can create your own assuming I approve it (And baring it being something odd, I don't see that as a problem).

High charisma campaign, sounds like fun.

Look at a few of my characters in my sig, and see what I've put into their backgrounds. Yours don't need to be in such huge detial nessisarily, but giving me things to play with as a GM can be usefull, and makes conflict more fun.

Half Aquatic is in what book (Unearthed Arcana I'm thinking)? (or just post the stats)

FYI, I fly out on Business on tuesday, and will be out till sunday. I'll have net access, but not all my books. So some rules questions you'll have to fill me in, but we shouldn't have much of a problem.

Is there a prefered starting level? Normaly, I don't like starting at L1, but given the nature of the campaign, that might work to help with development. I'm not a stickler with experience, so you'll probably advance a bit more quickly.

Aquatica, just a thought
How did you become a half Aquatic elf? Was one of your parents human and the other aquatic elf, or was it two half-aquatic elves, or even one half-elf (Aquatic or no) and one aquatic? Which parent was which?

I could do something with the thought that your mother, a young and beautiful human or half-elven maiden of the village, who met and fell for a wandering Aquatic Elf, who came from the sea. They spent their time on the beach, or in a small row boat from her fathers (insert seaman's trade) boat. After a time, he told her he had to leave, though he did not want to. They parted ways, after which your mother found she was pregnant with you.

Now, if you like that, run with it. Did the other villages know of the tryst? Did your mother ever marry afterwards? How did her father react? How was your life as a child in the wake of this? etc.

No obligation to use that though, but that's the type of thing I can build adventure hooks on, because it gives your character motivations to do things (Perhaps find her father, or perhaps a loathing of full aquatic elves, or a desire to leave the village, how she reacts is up to you, but I can play with it).

Anyway, tata for now. Post ideas, concepts, and questions here, and we'll go from there. once we're ready, we can finish fleshing out characters and being, but no rush.

Bront

The man with the probe
Scratched_back said:
I agree with starting at low levels entirely. I think characters that start at anything above 1st can miss out on some vital character development. "Do you remember the time that Kobold chased you a mile and a half before we got to you?" kind of thing is just skipped over completely. I also completely agree with the learning the rules and ropes being a lot easier from 1st too, so for those reasons I think we should start at 1st.

We've both been talking these last few days about our character backgrounds, and I think we're on the verge of writing something with individual histories but an event at the end that brought the two of us together.

I'll take a look at the stats and prepare my character in full either tonight or tomorrow for you to look at, and I shall sit down with my girlfriend and we'll generate her character and I'll explain the fundamentals to her. As you said CORE + COMPLETES + RACES OF only, easiest way to do things.

Caught me while typing (was working on my other post for a while, while doing other things).

1st will work then, though I won't force you to stay there forever.

The merging backgrounds is a good idea, as I mentioned earlier.

I'm open to anything, my general suggestion is to ask if it's non-core, and write it out if I don't have normal access for it. I'm generaly open, but things can occasionaly stack to get a bit overpowered. I'm not as adverse to that in a 2 player game though.

Bront

The man with the probe
Quick FAQ on using tags and formatting

[] are used for formatting tags.

To format text, you open and close the format.

[ tag ] text to be formated [ /tag ] (without spaces)

examples:
[ b ] Bold [ /b ]
Bold

Colors I used to highlight speach (generaly PCs pick a color and stick with it, I use Red for most NPCs), or I use sandy brown for scrolls/writings.

Quoting can be useful if you want to specify what you're replying too. See my above post for how a quote looks. You can edit and move quoted text, so you can break it apart to reply to specific points.

Special tags (not listed in the normal editor)
Spoiler: Blacks out text so it needs to be highlighted.
This is spoiler text

Sblock: makes a block of hidden text
[sblock]This is an sblock[/sblock]

Spoilers are good for small sections of text, usually good to denote where it is. I use them for languages others may not know, or hiding rolls if I feel it's needed.

Sblocks are good for either hiding text, or at least making a post look smaller so it's easier to put down. I often use them for OOC comments in the in game thread.

There's more, but that should cover most of it. There's a board FAQ, but I figure'd I'd let you know what's up here too.

Scratched_back

First Post
Bront said:
Sblock: makes a block of hidden text
[sblock]This is an sblock[/sblock]

Spoilers are good for small sections of text, usually good to denote where it is. I use them for languages others may not know, or hiding rolls if I feel it's needed.

Sblocks are good for either hiding text, or at least making a post look smaller so it's easier to put down. I often use them for OOC comments in the in game thread.

There's more, but that should cover most of it. There's a board FAQ, but I figure'd I'd let you know what's up here too.

Ahh excellent, I was looking at your characters from your sig earlier and wondering about that SBlock. In that case I'm almost ready to post my character, for ease I will use the same format you use in your posted characters.

Scratched_back

First Post
I will edit this tomorrow to include my actual character sheet, until then I thought you may like to read my first stab at appearance/background. :)

Appearance: Jericho is attractive. Lacking chiselled features or a body builder's figure, he's handsome in that "he's got something about him" way. He stands a few inches short of six feet tall and has what can only be described as an average build. His head is crowned with the characteristic thick, raven-black hair of his Saul family ancestry, falling to somewhere below his jaw line and his skin shows the marks of the sun across his cheeks and his nose. His eyes are an ocean blue with a ring of yellow around the pupils, another family trait. He tends to dress himself in clothing of deep colour, easily recognised around town in his maroon-stained rough leather. He favours a pair of dusky black boots as footwear; these are embroidered with silver eagles in a stitching pattern and were won from a travelling moon elf in a game of chance. He wears them proudly.

Family Background: People say that the seventh son of a seventh son is meant for special things, the Saul family of Redspar have lived in this hope for years. Marcus Saul, the patriarchal head of the family, being a seventh son himself, spent years researching the various legends, myths and prophecies regarding the phenomenon. Marcus made his name when Redspar was originally founded fifty years earlier. He was amongst the original settlers of the town, and served as counsellor and arcane advisor to the leader of the expedition. Since that time his family have prospered, he set up the Wizard’s Guild in the town, a now respected and semi-powerful organisation staffed mainly by his family. This came at a cost however. Another one of the settlers, a small-minded and callous man named Otzem, became terribly jealous of Marcus’ success and since then has used every opportunity that arose to try and muddy the Saul name. Since Otzem and his family founded the local church, almost forty eight years ago, the feud has become a murky political affair hanging like a shadow over the otherwise vibrant port. Although the town is strictly run by a council of local representatives, it is split by the unspoken divide. They either sympathise Saul or Otzem, Science or Church, Magic or Faith. This great divide within the town has given way to heated words during town meetings, anonymous attacks on people of each family, the alleged attempted assassination of Marcus Saul and in exceptional circumstances, skirmishes in the street from supporters of each side.
Being a wise man and correctly reading Otzem’s signs many years earlier, three of Marcus’ sons were magically altered and cloaked (at great expense and effort) from the public and passed of as far-removed cousins of the family. This deceit obviously paints the picture that Jericho is not the seventh son, but in fact the fourth. Marcus knew for months that he had been spied upon researching the seventh-son-legend. He decided it necessary to hide Jericho’s true nature to shield him from attacks of Otzem’s people, or anybody wanting to stop more power to the Saul family. Whilst neither family could be described as evil, this blood feud has lasted for years and now hampers the development of this small port.

Jericho Saul: Jericho grew up knowing that something was special about his life, although he wasn’t sure what. His three brothers treated him as brothers would; teasing, fighting and arguing, the three cousins from his mothers side of the family that had lived with him all their life also treated him so, yet none of them were paid nearly as much attention from his father Marcus, as he was. Educated from the age of five in subjects befitting the son of a respected family, mathematics, sciences, geography, music, histories and heraldry were all familiar to him by his tenth summer. Growing up around magic was a normal occurrence for a Saul boy, and Jericho was no exception. Once his arcane tuition began at fifteen, he quickly learned how to read magical writings, discern the presence of magic in the air, and most amusingly to himself, carry himself drinks of water from the fountain in the corner of the room without leaving the table. His tutor was delighted with the speed of his early progress and whispers were soon heard within the family walls that something was afoot; the seventh son of the seventh son was indeed the prodigy they had hoped for. Weeks turned to months and Jericho added several more tricks to his repertoire, sometimes picking up simpler incantations in a mere matter of days. Marcus Saul, Jericho’s father came to personally oversee his son’s advancement to the next stage of magic, the step up from cantrips to spells used by real mages within the real world. To his surprise, Jericho was not in his study, there was simply a note: “Dear father, please do not think me ungrateful, I truly am not, but my heart lies elsewhere. Magic is a mighty tradition for our family; I wish you good luck with it, but I must find my own way in life. The studies I have engaged in since my childhood have given me far more than just knowledge, they have given me hunger and passion. How could a man harbour knowledge, yet not exercise it? I shall return when I know everything, secrets are created to be betrayed. – sincerely, your seventh son.”

Feel free to edit what needs editing, tell me if anything needs toning down, elaborating on, all of that. I hope you don't mind, but being as our setting may be ambiguous, I just created a starting town for myself. Again, I didn't go into much detail about the town itself, or any physical detail at all other than the fact it's a port, so mould it as you will. :)

-Ben

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases