Van Richten's Guide to the Mists available for free download

Voadam

Legend
Cool, I'll download it tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Is this the unedited manuscript for what was to be the next book or is it a full book that just was not published before the license reverted to WotC?

Joël of the FoS

First Post
No problem. You can count on us for Ravenloft news :)

Voadam said:
Is this the unedited manuscript for what was to be the next book or is it a full book that just was not published before the license reverted to WotC?

It's a nearly finished book. It is formatted to the VRG style, the text is 98% edited (a few glitch here and there, but not much to complain). It doesn't have any art however, just the text (but 118 pages!).

A good source of inspiration for creating killers from horror movies.

There are already a few reviews and comments posted on the FoS board. Most people seem to have a good first impression.

Joël

SidusLupus

First Post
This is an awesome book, I really like the flavor of it. I don't know too much about Ravenloft except the horror theme and this really does a wonderful job of it.

Not to derail the thread but is there a Ravenloft specific Monster Manual/ Beastiary that I can look into aquiring?

Joël of the FoS

First Post
Indeed, the best monster guides from Ravenloft are the Van Richten's Guides (VRG). The second ed VRG to the vampires is a classic book. The other 2nd ed VRG are constructs (VRG created), mummies (VRG ancient dead), VRG to ghosts, liches, werebeast, fiends, vistani (gypsies, cool book), and hags (found in VRG monstrous compendium III). It makes me think get the three VRG monstrous compendium (I, II and III) instead of getting the individual VRG. Each compendium is the reprint of 3 VRG.

Even if it's 2nd ed, they are still well recommanded as the flavor text provides 10 adventure hooks per page ! :)

In 3rd ed, you have the VRG to the Walking Dead (lesser undead will never be flavorless again!) and the VRG to the Feys (dark feys).

(tip: White Wolf online store is selling all its 3rd ed Ravenloft stocks at 50%+ off these days)

Joël

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases