How Did/Will You Name Your Kids?

Well - I don't have any kids, yet. But my mother would love it if I did. I was home for a visit over the weekend and she kept giving me the "I really want some grand kids! Get busy!" speech... which got me thinking about naming babies.

How did you pick the names for your kids/what are your kids names? :)

I would like a son name Riker... I would also like a daughter named Amethyst. I picked those names because I like Star Trek and because I think that Amethyst is pretty (mostly because it can be shortened to Ammy and I think that's cute)...

Also - share your favorite baby names if you don't have kids already!

Last edited:

Abstraction

First Post
We named our daughter Serena. It's embarassing, but we got the name from Sailor Moon. We aren't big Sailor Moon fans, we both just liked the name. It was important to us to pick a name that wasn't too common, like Jane. It also couldn't be bizarre.

It's a good thing we didn't have a boy, because we never could agree. My wife wanted these creative names that were gaelic or classic and I kept saying "No, no, no. If you name the kid Tristam, he will get beaten up at school for sure." This is very important for men, that their son can't have a wussy name.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
We named our son Connor (Connor MacNessa after reading "Red Branch" by Morgan Llewellyn). His middle names are Elijah and Neil...the first being the name of a really sweet old man my wife knew as a child and the other being my middle name and my dad's middle name.

reveal

Adventurer
1) Have kids when you're ready not because other people want you to. We were married 5 years before we tought about having kids.

2) My son's name is Duncan Scott Law. The Law family has a long Scottish heritage. My wife and I each made a list of 5 names. Duncan was on the top of mine and was one of hers. Scott came about because of the Scottish heritage. I was going to recommend Scot but I figured that would be weird. Plus Duncan Scott Law sounds really cool when you yell it at a kid getting in trouble. ;)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I want a bunch of kids! At least 5 of each. I want to name one of my boys after me (not sure if that would be the II or III, my dad is Sr., I'm Jr.) and another Clark. I would like to name three of my daughter Dusk, Minh and Ariah.

devilish

Explorer
My daughter was indirectly named after Spiderman's first girlfriend, Gwendolyn.
I offered it up one night while my wife was pregnant after reading a new
Spiderman comic ...
Her: "Gwendolyn...Gwen... I like it, where'd you get it?"
Me: "Uh, er...I just thought it up ... " :eek:
My wife picked "Claire" as her middle name b/c she liked it.

I wanted to name my son after my Dad but my brother was named after him
so my wife didn't want the confusion. So he was given my father's middle name
as first name, and her father's first name as a middle name ( ?! ?!)
William John.

And though his name sounds like a throw away from a Robin Hood novel, we love
him still!

-D

Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Well - I don't have any kids, yet. But my mother would love it if I did. I was home for a visit over the weekend and she kept giving me the "I really want some grand kids! Get busy!" speech... which got me thinking about naming babies.
No, no no! It's supposed to get you thinking about sex!
Queen_Doppy said:
How did you pick the names for your kids/what are your kids names? :)
Sadly, it was a very long and difficult process for us, and at the end of the day, I ended up conceding to my wife after she had given up all her ideas that I absolutely would not accept. My oldest son is named Spencer Joshua (Dyal)--Spencer being both a name we both liked and someone we both admired. Joshua, of course, is me.

My daughter came next, and we named her Jessica Michelle. In many ways, that's the name we're the most disappointed with, although we can't imagine her with any other name. Jessica got picked because it's a name my wife liked and I didn't mind, but it was a fairly last minute change from Breanne, which I liked better. My wife actually regrets the change. Michelle is my wife's middle name.

Next we had Alexander Williams Dyal. He was named so that his initials would be AWD and we could call him All Wheel Drive. OK, not really, although we did make that joke a lot when he was a baby. Alexander was just a name we both liked; we wanted something longer and classic, and I always figured he'd go on to conquer most of the known world by the time he turns thirty. Williams is my wife's maiden name. My wife's younger sister also had a boy and gave him the middle name William, claiming that it is sorta a riff on the maiden name, but we don't do things half-assed like that in my family. If we're giving him the maiden name as a middle name, we're giving him the actual maiden name, not something close to it!

My last is named Logan Taylor. By this point, we were kinda running out of boy names that had any real emotional signifigance to us, so we just picked names we liked. Plus, we can say he's named after Wolverine if we want.

For nicknames, we very seldom call Spencer Spence, but Jessica gets Jess and Jessie all the time. Alexander gets Alex from my wife, and I try to call him Zander more often, but I end up using Alex a fair amount. Logan goes by Logs and Logers, all with a long o and a hard g a lot.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
We didn't find out ahead of time if the meatball (who was prenatally known as "lump") would be male or female. I had a girl name all picked out (Katherine Ernestine. Katherine has always been my favorite name and we could call her Kitty, and Ernestine is my mom's middle name and my own) and I told the hubby he had to come up with a boy name. It was like pulling teeth! I would read through baby name books and everything got "ugh!" or "eh". He didn't want a junior, he didn't want to name him after his dad because there's too many "john"s in the family already, he didn't like any uncommon names but the common ones were too common, it was hell.... :\

I can't remember exactly when or how we settled on Henry. Its his father's middle name which got it tossed up for discussion, but I think the hubby just liked the solid feel of it, and I was good with him just making a decision. We grabbed the hubby's middle name and hyphenated our last names. :) (the last name thing was the subject of much polling and pop quizzes for everyone I knew as we tried to work out order and method of combination.)

linnorm

Explorer
Our first daughter we named Katiyanna Marie from a book I read in high school and my (at the time recently) deceased grandmother. Daughter two was named Anika JoLynn because my wife thought Anika was a pretty name and JoLynn is an combination of our mother's middle names. Our son is Ivan Arthur the fifth, something I decided when I was a kid. It was important to me that all of the kids had at least some part of their name come from a deceased family member. It's a tradition and it helps tie the family together.

reveal said:
1) Have kids when you're ready not because other people want you to. We were married 5 years before we tought about having kids.

Wouldn't dream of it! I would really like to have our first child now, but I know that we just can't afford it time-wise. But - we're good and young and have lots of time to have babies (I want three)!

Though - my favorite thing about getting married young is the fact that *everyones* response is, "Oh... Married at 19? Do you have any children."

Remove ads