Descent into the Depths of the Earth & Fane of the Drow

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Fantastic Locations: Fane of the Drow reminds me markedly of the Descent into the Depths of the Earth (D1-2 and D3). In that classic adventure, you would come across encounter areas that were detailed in lesser or greater fashion.

Thus, in D1 you first came across a drow checkpoint - with a small-scale map of the area (it'd be 26" x 28" if actuall done in miniature scale!), then a spy post of the mind-flayers.

Fane of the Drow reminds me of those encounter areas. The description of the areas in Fane is more detailed than those in D1, and the actual Drow Enclave in Fane isn't as extensive as even the "Caverns and Warrens of the Troglodytes" in D1, but there's a link.

Incidentally, I hold the design of D1-2 to be absolutely classic. I prefer the smaller encounter areas to the actual Vault of the Drow by far - it's the travelling to the Vault that I really enjoy reading the descriptions of. :)

It's also interesting to see how much of D1-2's encounter descriptions are purely of the monsters that are there. Consider these areas from the Warrens:

4. SIDE CAVERN: This area has a high ceiling (90'), and many ledges and shelves along the south, east, and north curve of the cavern wall house 15 gargoyles (H.P. 22 each) who perch at 65' to 80' to swoop down on prey and attack from behind. They will pursue northwards, where the roof of the gallery is high, but they do not go eastwards. They have no treasure.
###

There's a lot more descriptive text in Fane. Some is nice writing, but purely dribble in terms of the adventure. Consider this:

15. Torture Chamber (EL 5)

...Amandracul enjoys what he calls "the art of pain" and has active displays at least once a week. He tortures what prisoners the Bloodweb goblins and drow soldiers can bring him in th chamber, often allowing the other drow in the fane to watch his cruel sport...
###

Dribble. That's five lines in the adventure that could be put to far better use. I'm very much against background information that has *no* bearing on how the adventure plays out. With such a small space available, you'd think they'd have better things to put in.

OTOH, there are descriptions like this:
13. Summoning Chamber
...Lolth has blessed this chamber with a small spark of her will and power. Any conjuration (summoning) or conjuration (calling) spell cast within this chamber will fail to have its desired effect. Instead a servant of Lolth - usually a spider of Lolth - appears in the magic circle in the center of the table. The creature that appears is subject to the cruel and capricious will of Lolth...
###

That's fun!

It's interesting to contrast how two adventures of similar length are markedly different in scope. D1 is about 10 pages of adventure text, Fane is 14 pages of adventure text, but D1 has many more significant encounter areas.

I *like* Fane, but it feels light.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Remove ads