Men, women, insecurity & alcohol [** NEW UPDATE, DEC 2005 **]

glass

(he, him)
Little anecdote I thought I'd share:

Saturday before last I was in my local pub, and I ended up chatting with a girl who used to be a bar maid there. In fact, she had just left to go off to university, and was in there having a fairwell drink.

Anyway, it turns out she is really insecure about her appearance. She described herself as 'a 1', and as 'short & fat'. Then we have a snippet of conversation that goes something like this (I'm paraphrasing a little):

Gorgeous former barmaid: 'When I started here, I was hoping guys would ask me for my number, but they never do'.

Me: 'Really? OK, can I have your number?'

GFB: 'No'.

Me: 'Oh'. *stunned silence/more drink*

Now at this point, as you can imagine, I was more than a little upset. She thinks she's a 1, and she still isn't interested in me: What am I, a -5*? A few minutes later, she expresses a similar complaint to someone else in my hearing, so I pipe up with:

Me: 'I asked you for your number and you said no!'

GFB: 'You were only kidding around'.

Me: 'No, I meant it'.

GFB: 'Okay, ask me again'.

Me: 'Can I have your number?'

GFB: 'Yes'.

I was so pleased with this turnaround in my fortunes, I didn't notice until a while later that she'd said yes, but she hadn't actually given me her number. By which time she was off talking to someone else, and I was back into depressed/pissed off mode.

So I was thinking about posting a thread here complaining about all of this, but before I got around to it, I had an epiphany:

When she said 'ask me again', she didn't mean right away, she meant at some future time after I had sobered up (I wasn't falling down drunk, but I definitely had a fair few). She wanted to be sure I really like her, that it wasn't just alcohol talking.

Hopefully, she'll come back to work there at Christmas, so I'll be able to test my theory. In the meantime, any thoughts?

glass.

Last edited:

smootrk

First Post
From another thread asking for advice

smootrk said:
Another idea. Is a role-play gaming forum really the best place for advice for this kind of advice.

Drop by the local game store and make some comparisons. :confused:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
smootrk said:
From another thread asking for advice
My gaming store has a mix of people. Most of the people that hang out there are married, so we've got to be doing something right. But if you can't offer any advice, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with asking, though.

And I'd have thought she didn't mean 'in the future' since she did say "yes"... maybe you both were kind of stunned and missed the actual giving-of-the-number step?

glass said:
In the meantime, any thoughts?
There's modesty, there's self-deprecation humor (see Conan O'Brien for a good example), and then there's just fishing for attention and compliments by making ridiculous self-deprecating comments.

Even if she really is interested in giving you her number (which I'd say sounds dubious at this point), she sounds on first blush like a high-maintainence attention hog. I'd be very careful if I were you.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
glass said:
When she said 'ask me again', she didn't mean right away, she meant at some future time after I had sobered up (I wasn't falling down drunk, but I definitely had a fair few). She wanted to be sure I really like her, that it wasn't just alcohol talking.

Hopefully, she'll come back to work there at Christmas, so I'll be able to test my theory. In the meantime, any thoughts?

What are the odds you'll even recognize her at Christmas without the beer goggles on? If you do and she isn't as pretty as you alcohol fuzzed brain remembers, will you still ask for her number?

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
eh, if you want to, next time you see her ask her if the offer still stands (of giving you her # that is).

BOZ said:
eh, if you want to, next time you see her ask her if the offer still stands (of giving you her # that is).
I agree; it can't hurt to ask.

Still, sounds to me like she was just talking 'coz she liked the attention, and when you actually asked her for her number, she backpedaled like a gambler who's bluff just got called. Be casual about it, and don't expect too much, I'd say. If anything happens, great, if not, no big deal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases