Religion in D and D

BeholderBurger

First Post
Does anyone have a problem with the way the Deities and divine magic in general are worked out in Forgotten Realms and Dand D generally. I always think that if players and NPCs (particularly your average yokel peasant ) see divine magic in action , then there would be no real ability to be an atheist or agnostic character. You are almost forced into having to have a religion because you know gods exist and that you will lose out on favours etc.

What do ya think?

:cool:

The Sigil

Mr. 3000 (Words per post)
Yes and no...

I see this two ways...

1.) Your character believes in gods. There is empirical evidence that they exist, and in fact, from time to time, they walk the earth and the character may run into them.

2.) The character may be atheist/agnostic not because he doesn't believe in gods, but because he doubts their divine nature... they're just "really powerful outsiders," nothing more, nothing less. On the same level as a mephit, but bigger. Thus, why worship them?

--The Sigil

BeholderBurger

First Post
mmmm

I think that the FRCS actually promotes religion for players by threatening them with the wall around kelemvors city of judgement. They are held together by green goo.

Zappo

Explorer
Bah. A real atheist would not believe in this Kelemvor mumbo-jumbo. :D

Until he finds himself dead and in the middle of it, and unable to be raised, of course.

My opinion is that a real atheist in D&D is definitely impossible except in very contrived circumstances. The closest you can get is with a character who believes that the so-called gods are just powerful outsiders and there's no point in worshipping them. In Planescape, an entire faction was based around this concept.

Out of curiosity, why do you keep using 'D and D' instead of D&D?

Last edited:

Phowett

First Post
Zappo said:
The closest you can get is with a character who believes that the so-called gods are just powerful outsiders and there's no point in worshipping them.

Hmmmm... never thought of that before. That's a good idea.

hong

WotC's bitch
Zappo said:
My opinion is that a real atheist in D&D is definitely impossible except in very contrived circumstances. The closest you can get is with a character who believes that the so-called gods are just powerful outsiders and there's no point in worshipping them.

"Great Crom lives on a mountain, and cares little for us mortals."

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Re: Yes and no...

2.) The character may be atheist/agnostic not because he doesn't believe in gods, but because he doubts their divine nature... they're just "really powerful outsiders," nothing more, nothing less. On the same level as a mephit, but bigger. Thus, why worship them?

--The Sigil

That implies a high degree of knowledge about the nature of outerplanar beings and the nature of divinity within a campaign world. Perhaps a character could come to that opinion after much interaction with planar beings, but I doubt a starting character would think that way. An interesting twist for an ex-cleric character though.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Zappo said:
Until he finds himself dead and in the middle of it, and unable to be raised, of course.

He could still be an atheist. He can easily argue that the "powerful outsiders" are toying with him and stuck him in this wall thing because he was a naughty little boy.

BeholderBurger

First Post
ampersan definiton

Because he has ampersandophobia .

the dictionary reads - it is best to avoid using an ampersand and to replace it with an and in formal writing.

Remove ads