• gruumsh.jpg
    gruumsh.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Dungeon, Wilderness and Town - an Integrated Adventure

I picked up Sons of Gruumsh recently. It is the first Forgotten Realms product I've bought since 2001 - the DM's Screen! After giving it a brief scan, I plan to use it in my new Greyhawk campaign.

Be warned, I plan to have some major spoilers about the adventure here. I'm not going to be able to do what I plan to do without them. So, if you want to ever play in the adventure, you have been warned!

Physical Appearance

Sons of Gruumsh is a softcover, B&W, 32-page adventure. Maps are printed on the inside of the front and back cover, and more maps are sprinkled throughout the text, which uses a small font and is quite dense.

Strangely, the adventure wastes two pages for a title page and credits page. From only 32 pages, we're down to 30. Go figure. The final page is an advertisement for other FR products, but I don't object to this so much. 29 pages.

The adventure has an Introduction, Parts 1 through 4, and a appendix with NPC and monster statistics - not using the new format. The pages are watermarked to appear more ancient tomish, there are black and white illustrations by Mike Dubisch (no more than adequate to my eyes), and the cover is by Todd Lockwood (yay!).

Credits

Designer: Christopher Perkins
Additional Design: Will Littrell, Stephen Schubert
Developer: Stephen Schubert
Cartographers: Dennis Kauth, Robert Lazzaretti

There's no actual "Editor" listed - I guess those duties fell to Shoe. Christopher Perkins is mainly familiar to me as the one-time editor-in-chief of Dungeon Magazine. I guess that means he knows adventures. :)

Will Littrell isn't a familiar name; and Stephen Schubert is someone I have a lot of time for due to his DDM work, his postings on maxminis, and his work on Heroes of Battle.

Introduction

This notes the area the adventure takes place in, what materials the DM needs, the adventure background, the adventure synopsis, and there's also a sidebar "About Orogs". Guess what we'll be seeing more of this adventure? :)

It's interesting to look at the books required: the core books + FRCS are absolutely required. Optional books are MM3, Monsters of Faerun and Races of Faerun. The only one of those I don't have is Races of Faerun. I reckon I'll be able to do fine. I wonder what material from the FRCS I absolutely will need to have?

This is also an adventure that suggests which D&D Miniatures would be appropriate to use. I like the sentiment - as you might guess - but I wonder at the utility. Out-of-print miniatures can be painful to find. Those who have the minis (like me) should know the proper ones already. I suppose it does guide the less fanatical player towards minis, but still...

The structure of the adventure (as laid out in the synopsis) is rather nice: a combination of urban, wilderness and dungeon adventuring. I'll give you it in brief form here:

* The PCs arrive in the city of Melvaunt, where they are hired by a noble to hunt down his errant son.
* The PCs have to deal with the intrigues of the city's nobles as they track down the son.
* The PCs discover the son has travelled into the wilderness of Thar, and follow. They find that the son has been ambushed, and captured by orcs.
* The orcs' trail leads to the broken orc citadel of Xul-Jarak. The PCs must rescue the noble son before he is sacrificed to Gruumsh and the orcs declare war on Melvaunt.
* Once they return to Melvaunt (hopefully triumphant), a band of orcish cutthroats that have penetrated the city try to kill them, giving a form of coda to the adventure.

That seems fine to me. Of course, I'm not running this in Melvaunt. I'll be running this in Jurnre, capital of the County of Ulek in the World of Greyhawk.

Greyhawk has a couple of places that would work for Thar - the Land of Iuz being one. Luckily, I'm near the other: the Pomarj. There's an ongoing orc problem there which means the basic ideas of the adventure should be easy to integrate. It'll also give me a way of getting away from my main plotline.

Sons of Gruumsh is written for four 4th level PCs.

Part 1: The Lost Scions

The adventure has four pages to deal with the first urban part of the adventure. As one might imagine, this is pretty free-form for the DM. I'll have to adapt quite a lot of it in my campaign, but it will probably provide me with a lot of ideas for further enriching Jurnre.

After a short bit of "boxed" (italicized) text to read to the players, the descriptions get under way. Highlights of this section:

* Gather Information check for rumours. (DC 5, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20 give separate rumours).

* The Crow's Nest - four paragraphs on the tavern the PCs are likely to stay at. This is sort of fluffy. Prices, the staff, and the types of patrons who frequent it are listed. At least it doesn't take up much space.

* Meeting Lord Nanther - the first real encounter (half a page), mainly boxed text that gives the PCs the mission that drives the rest of the adventure. There is also additional information that the PCs can discover through roleplaying with the Lord. I prefer such role-playing encounters; ones where not everything is automatically handed to the PCs. There's no Diplomacy checks mentioned here, so mostly it'd be just what the PCs ask. Good.

* The Melvaunt Investigation - this section goes for about two pages, and details bits and pieces the PCs can learn about the other noble houses, what is going on in the city, and so forth. Gather Information, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Bardic Knowledge and actual role-playing are suggested as the ways the information can come to light.

This is real investigative work for the players. I've run quite a bit of it in Living Greyhawk of late, and it can be really effective, although also deadly dull to hack'n'slashers. As I see it, the PCs will begin by asking around based on leads that Lord Nanther has given them, then find more and more leads until the trail leads to Thar.

There is a section on information about Thar as well. I'll have to alter that for the Pomarj - but no problems. The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer should have more than enough information!

* Street Fight - just when the hack'n'slashers are feeling bored, we'll have an enemy "kick in the door" and start some mayhem. Actually, it seems that the noble son was betrayed to the orcs - and the one who betrayed him is getting nervous about the PCs' investigations. Oh, goody. :) This is an EL 6 fight against five human War2/Rogue 2. The adventure makes the good decision of giving the PCs the possibility of aid if they get into trouble - there's nothing like killing off the PCs before the adventure really begins!

Apart from appearing to be a rather interesting section of investigative play, this section also provides quite a few elements that can be expanded in an ongoing campaign in the city. I'm not saying that there's a lot of detail here, but a few hints here and there are enough for those interested in such play. I'm not quite sure how it will integrate into Jurnre, but my last campaign there probably didn't have enough intrigue. This will help stimulate that aspect of my game.

Part 2: Crossing Thar

Three pages deal with the PC's trek across the wasteland. Random encounters have a 1 in 6 chance of occuring, check three times per day; there are only 5 different possible encounters on the chart. All the encounters also have a suggested miniature. Interestingly, some have more than one: the Troll encounter could be done with the Troll or Troll Slasher.

Also interesting is the encounter chance: 1 in 6. Every other adventure I've seen has expressed this in percentage form. (Remember: d20 for all checks except d% for all non-modifiable chances). I'm very happy to see the return of the d6 for encounters, as I find it much more managable.

None of the encounters are more than suggested creatures, so combat is the most likely result. That's fine with me, although I could move them into role-playing if appropriate.

There's also a brief section on the terrain and weather, with references to the DMG. Good to see it here, though.

The rest of this section deals with a day-by-day timeline of the trek to, first, the ambush site, and second the orc citadel (following clues left at the ambush site). There is no wilderness map provided, so I guess you'll need the FR maps and some good sense. It is noted that the timeline presumes horseback travel and a steady pace, and that you'll need to adjust it otherwise.

There are four main set encounters in the timeline: finding the ambush site (and being attacked by a feeding owlbear), a camp of orc scouts, an half-orc ranger, and a wandering manticore. The manticore feels like it should be on the random encounter table, but the other encounters work well within the context of the adventure.

In particular, the scouts and the ranger provide good ways of getting the PCs back on track, especially if they've lost the trail of the nobles and their captors. The ranger is Neutral in alignment and likely to help in that context; and the orc scouts can be overheard (or, I guess, interrogated) discussing what happened to the prisoners.

The half-orc ranger can give the PCs good advice - well, certainly my players! He can relate the best way into the orc citadel (a hole in the wall), and suggest that if the PCs disguise themselves as orcs they might find it easier. There's also other useful information he can relate.

Part 3: Xul-Jarak

The heart of the adventure, the description of the orcish citadel covers 15 pages. The citadel has a ground level, an upper level, and four lower dungeon levels. The maps for the upper levels (and a side cutaway view) are on the covers; the dungeon levels are printed in the adventure booklet.

The first page of the description covers the Features of Xul-Jarak: walls, doors, rubble, illumination and weather (for as the PCs approach). There is also a section on Entering Xul-Jarak, with five suggested methods and ways of dealing with them: a frontal assault, disguises, sneaking over the wall, using magic, or creating a distraction.

This is good; already the adventure gives advice for different approaches.

In a nice touch, the raven familiar of one of the captive nobles has escaped, and can offer advice to the PCs once it determines they're friendly (i.e. not orcs).

There's also a sidebar of Ready-to-use Orc Names. Sure to be of use if the PCs ever get into parleying!

Ground Level (Areas 1-17)

Let's just say there are lots of orcs here. :) At this point, the stat blocks are relegated to the appendix, and the text is clearer for it. There are plenty of different types of orcs: Orc Warriors, Orc Spearfighters, Orc Sergeants, Orc Berserkers, Mountain Orcs... the types should be familiar to those who have been collecting D&D Miniatures. Yes, the hundreds of different orc minis finally have a use.

This is quite nice, actually. Those without DDM collections like mine can easily find orc figures, but the different types of orcs create variety - both visual and tactical.

To make things interesting, the orc king has a pet wyvern, and there are emissaries of the Zhentarim here. I'm getting flashes of G1: Steading of the Hill Giant Chief at this point. When Wizards designers make me think of the classics, then I think they're on to something!

It is quite obvious that this adventure is not designed for a party of four 4th level PCs to try and kill every orc here. They're not going to be able to do it. The Hall of the Orc King has an EL of 9: the Orc King himself, an Ogre, four Orc Brutes and six Orc Warriors are likely to put paid to any foolish adventurers. This is very refreshing: I'm a little too used to seeing "safe" adventures where everything must be killed. Brains will be needed here!

There are plenty of tactical notes here, and a few different factions (orcs, zhentil keep, other orc factions, etc.) It would be quite possible for a clever party to make use of that to sow some chaos.

Of note is a cursed magic item: we don't see so many of those any more!

I'll also note that the ground and upper levels are partially ruined. The maps are drawn in one square = 5 feet, and are exceptionally clear. (People may remember me cursing the maps in previous products).

It seems that the ground floor is mainly for avoiding: the place isn't safe, and the prisoners aren't here. I'm somewhat worried about what would happen with foolish players; I can't see any way that things wouldn't end badly. Well, maybe there's somewhere safe to flee to on the other levels?

Upper Level (Areas 18-27)

Another sidebar, "Ready-to-use Orc Battle Cries" is very nice to have. The battle cries are in both english and orc.

There's not really all that much here. More orcs, the orc king's bedroom (and some treasure), and the battlements. Oh, and being a ruined citadel, the floor isn't entirely stable everywhere. A wooden crane displays that the orcs are trying to rebuild Xul-Jarak, but these two pages are rather boring, all-in-all. I hope it gets better down below.

Dungeon Level 1 (Areas 28-29)

A small level, described in one page (and the map on the same page). Here we have a sepulcher and more orc guards. No prisoners. Let's continue downwards!

Dungeon Level 2 (Areas 30-32)

Another small level, and pretty much empty. There's a nice waterfall here, though.

Dungeon Level 3 (Areas 33-37)

Ooh, things get more interesting here. In addition to a forge and armoury, we also have the Tomb of Kursk One-Tusk, and some nice murals. Remember that waterfall I told you about last level? It plummets past this level, and covers the sound of combat. Just as well for the PCs! I'll add that it's a very useful device for keeping the difficulty of this section down.

The Tomb isn't a real tomb, either. However, those investigating it can find the map to the real tomb - that's left up to the DM to create. It's nice seeing such adventure hooks.

Dungeon Level 4 (Areas 38-48)

One of the most despised miniatures in DDM is the Ambush Drake. It gets a chance to be used here, along with lots more orcs, and a basilisk! The captured nobles are also here (it wasn't just one!), and so is a Temple of Gruumsh.

Evil Temple, Captives. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Yes, there's a sacrifice being planned: the Bloodspear Ritual. It turns out the orcs had a reason to capture the nobles. Interestingly (and pleasingly), the adventure doesn't assume that you arrive "just in time". It lets the DM decide that, just giving the ritual, and what happens if it occurs. Thankfully, the results aren't "the world explodes", but having an empowered orog chieftain leading the orcs to war isn't my idea of a successful ending.

The Temple has enough enemies to make it a EL 10 encounter. I *really* don't think your average fourth or fifth-level party will be able to handle that easily. Perhaps if they get really lucky with hold person? Running and sneaking sounds good.

The PCs don't need to kill the temple's inhabitants to be successful, and I'm sure that this part of the adventure can be reused when they gain a few more levels.

Most of the citadel's encounters have "Development" sections to explain what the reactions of the rest of the orcs are to combat and the like. The nobles have learnt some bits of information about what's going on, so the import of their rescue can be properly conveyed to the players.

Although there's some interesting maps and terrain, this section of the adventure doesn't have all that many "tricks". It doesn't have anything like the abandoned temple in G3! It's more workmanlike than that. I'd prefer to see a few more unusual areas which provide more for the PCs to explore, but it's not that bad.

Resting areas: err. I suppose one of the crypts would do. Much better if the PCs weren't noticed, but we know how likely *that* is.

Part 4: Flight or Fight
The final 1.5 pages of the adventure! It is assumed here that the adventurers can move faster than the orcs. I hope the PCs brought horses! (If they didn't, they might end up in a cookpot). The DM is referred to the random encounter table for part 2 for encounters on the way back. There are no set encounters for the crossing of Thar.

Incredibly, there's a page xx reference here. At least, in a 32 page adventure, there's not far to search.

Once the PCs have returned to Melvaunt, it's rewards and party time. What is nice about this is the traitor in the noble houses teams up with the angry orcs from the citadel and tries to ambush the party (and his father and rescued brother) at a dinner party. What's not so nice is that it is an EL 10 encounter. The PCs may well be 6th level by now, but that's still very close to a TPK level. OTOH, they should be rested, and have a couple of magical rewards that will help. Hmm. Tread carefully, DM!

The adventure ends with possible developments from the adventure. Did the PCs leave the orc priest alive? Then the ritual may still happen. Did they escape and not defeat the ambush party? The orcs still want to get them!

One thing about this adventure: it is not railroaded.

Appendix
Four pages of stats: for allies, villains, and eight types of orc. These are in the old format, although languages are given for each character. (Just as well). I'm not John Cooper, so I have no idea if the stats are right.

For reference, here are the orc types:
Mountain Orc - Barbarian 2
Orc Archer - Warrior 2
Orc Berserker - Barbarian 1
Orc Brute - Barbarian 1
Orc Raider - Rogue 2/Barbarian 1
Orc Sergeant - Fighter 3
Orc Spearfighter - Fighter 2
Orc Warrior - Warrior 1

Merric's Conclusion:

Sons of Gruumsh is a solid adventure, with a wonderful range of adventuring environments. It's not as forced in its transitions as Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, but it is a challenging adventure. If you have a hack'n'slash party, then 6th or 7th level PCs may find the orc citadel quite amusing.

Translating it from one setting to another does not appear at all difficult, although it is putatively a Forgotten Realms adventure. The primary pieces of Realmsian lore can be found in Melvaunt, which effectively uses the scheming of the nobles to add colour and challenges, without overwhelming the DM with too much detail.

I'd have liked just one or two more areas of "weird and wonderful" in the citadel, and I'm concerned about how difficult that stage of the adventure might be.

However, I'm almost certain to use this adventure in my Ulek campaign, replacing the Zhentarim envoys with Priests of Chaos, and adding another thread to the plot.

The final verdict: 4/5. This adventure is worth looking at.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Insightful review Merrick.

I really like the sound of this adv. Do not play in the FR, but love orcs (and have HEAPS of orc minis I need to make more use of ;)).

I too like the fact that not every encounter is around the party level. The CR system is nice so you know roughly how challenging each encounter may be, but too often these are used as hard and fast rules as to what the characters can and can't meet.

If a DM always uses CR's of around the characters' levels then the party wont bother with coming up with other ways to overcome challenges, when they know they can just choose a straight up fight every time.

I have always used encounters that fit the area/adventure, NOT the characters' levels. I find it hard to believe that dragons only appear once levels go up. If a green dragon haunts a forest, it is there no matter the PC party level!!!

This adventure sounds great on all levels to me. thanks for the review.
Connors

Remove ads