Druids are not Hippies!

Reynard

Legend
A druid isn't a tree loving bunny hugger whose sole purpose is to protect the forest from dastardly loggers and trappers. A druid is someone who channels the divine power of nature, thorns, preadotrs and earthquakes inclusive. A druid doesn't care if the local village cuts down trees to build homes. He doesn't care if they hunt deer or try and elimate predators attacking the local flocks. in fact, he is as likely to aid in either nedeavor as not. he is an enigmatic, powerful figure who *knows* that Nature is the only unstoppable force in all Creation, and he wields it. He may do so to protect his clan or to offer his wisdom to a boy king, or he may do so to rule a savage land and command armies of maruading plant-people. He is a keeper of both power and knowledge, and a force unto a hurricane.

No modern attitude injected into D&D irks me more that the eco-friendly, tree hugging hippie Druid.

/rant

Rackhir

Explorer
That's all well and good and a valid take on things, but there no reason a Druid can't be a hippy Tree hugger. Do you just simply dislike hippy tree hugger types?

Odhanan

Adventurer
It looks like Rackhir said, indeed.

And I agree: I prefer the enigmatic Druid to the tree hugger myself, but that's just a question of tastes. You can play both and more with the 3.X druid.

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
You're welcome to play any kind of Druid you like. If someone else wants to play a hippie or an avenger of nature, what's the big deal?

Reynard said:
No modern attitude injected into D&D irks me more that the eco-friendly, tree hugging hippie Druid.

/rant

To quote Cartman: "Hippie"

Hippie, Hippie, Hippie.

D&D Druids are only loosely based on the old Druidic legends of Europe. A more modern spin is fine.

While I don't do druids as Tree Hugging Hippies.

I have most of my trees as Steel-Pine Evergreens, thus lessening any hugging that might go on. (Dryad infected trees aside).

Isn't Greenpeace Hippie a Druid Prestige Class anyhow? One that requires a lot of ranks in Knowledge ('herbalism').

Hippie!

Reynard

Legend
Rackhir said:
That's all well and good and a valid take on things, but there no reason a Druid can't be a hippy Tree hugger. Do you just simply dislike hippy tree hugger types?

Well, that's neither here nor there. My big problem with it is that the idea of conservation and preservation is about 6 minutes old in the real world and while I don't suually have a problem with modern viewpoints invading my fantasy games (I mean -- watch HBO's Rome and tell me you'd want your PCs acting that way with LG alignments), this one is just *so* obviously modern that it gets under my skin. Especially since a Druid is essentially a Nature Wizard who is as likely to bend it to his will as he is to serve it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Another thing to consider is which treatment of the druid (enigmatic nature wizard or tree hugger) is more cliche among gamers these days. I've tended to see the latter far more often and even though I consider myself greener than most Americans, I'm pretty tired of it.

The enigmatic-type druid is far more refreshing and fun for my gaming tastes.

Aaron L

Hero
I see so many dope smoking hemp wearing eco hippy druids that it makes me want to puke everytime it happens, which it inevitably does over and over.

lukelightning

First Post
Hippie Druid: Neutral good.
Circle of Elders Druid: Lawful Neutral.
Runs with the Wolves Druid: Chaotic Neutral.
Red-in-tooth-and-claw Druid: Neutral evil.

Remove ads