Descibe your homebrew setting

Aaron L

Hero
So I just wanted to know if anyone wanted to share thier brilliant homrbrews, just to show off or maybe just te see if anyone else thinks they are as cool as you know they are. If anyone is interested I will start by describing mine but if noe one is interested I wont bother.

Crothian

First Post
Well, mine is by no means brilliant. And I'm positive its actaully not as lame as its going to sound, because I know its going to sound lame.

The world is built around the 13 greater gods, but they are forced to watch from afar as the mortals built a great artifact to keep the great evil god away; but it really keeps all them away. So, the gods still grant spells and everything like that but really let the mortals deal with things themselves. THough the many demi gods are known to interfer as much as they want, though demi gods are not super strong like in some place; they are immortal but can be killed.

There is one dwarf race, one elf race though some people think there are actually 4 but they are seperate races and not sub races. elf is almost a slang term, each of the races has its own name and elf is not part of it. Gnomes are insane, I just choose to make them a non player race for secret reason (lots of secrets in my home brew) and that makes them insane. There are theree differnet types of humans but like the leves not really sub races, just similar in there respects.

It sounds pretty run of the mill I know, but I feel its the details that make the world interesting and those are to many and to difficult to really come across in a simple post. I'm currently running by 7th campaign in the world so there is a lot of it defined and a lot of history in the world.

And its not my World. Tom, if you are out there I'm treating your world well. Caladonia still stands, the Avelar are still cooler then everyone else, and the Corsyrians and Tarkins are more then they seem. My frined Tom Gerlach created the world and I took it over when he wanted to play a character. As 3e was coming out though he had to move to Chicago and then from there back home to southern california some where and I lost touch of the guy.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I have given a fairly detailed description elsewhere, but essentially Reformation/Counter-Reformation era tech. As the mololithic monotheistic religion fractures the creatures of magic return, and magic begins to function again - having been locked out by the unified belief of the dominant religion.

Unsanctioned magic is illegal in areas dominated by the Church.

Races include dwarfs, gnomes, halflings, and ogres (not quite D&D ogres).

Dwarfs and gnomes are the same species, differences being cultural and dietary.

Halfings have two cultures - one is settled and generally lawful, the other nomadic or trouping and generally chaotic.

Ogres are big, strong, and slow of thought. (Not quite stupid, while they have a negative modifier to intelligence they are allowed to 'take 30' in regards to Int based mental tasks that they can take the time on, great mathematicians, lousy at thinking quickly.) Typically Lawful Neutral.

Elfs exist, but are only now returning to the world as the walls of thought crumble. And they are not happy.

Dark elfs rule the southern continent far to the west, while orcs populate the norther continent just above them. Orcs are not the aggressors in the campaign, rather they are the aboriginal inhabitants of the newly discovered continent.

Goblins are fey, and only recently returned.

And a war of religion is raging across the world, think along the lines of the Thirty Years War.

The Auld Grump

Crothian

First Post
Aaron L said:
I'll post mine tomorrow when Im sober. And dont hedge on the details guys, thats what this is for.

My problem is after about 10 years of playing in the setting I have no idea where to start and where to end, I can't include everything its just too much. I'm currently putting thinks into a campaign Wiki though

Aaron L

Hero
A wiki is a cool idea and something Ive thought of doig. But since I have no players and dont even have a D&D group anymore it woul be pretty pointless except as something to do to fill my empty existence.

Crothian

First Post
Aaron L said:
A wiki is a cool idea and something Ive thought of doig. But since I have no players and dont even have a D&D group anymore it woul be pretty pointless except as something to do to fill my empty existence.

One of my players set up the wiki, hosted it, and basically did all the hard work. I've been slowly updating and at this rate I'm never going to be staisified with it. :cool:

ForceUser

Explorer
The Human Target said:
I always love these threads. So many cool ideas everywhere.
Yeah.

There's nothing remarkable about the content of my homebrew world--it's all about the delivery. I incorporate elements of many things I enjoy in fantasy literature, movies, and RPGs. Some of the biggest influences upon the way in which I present my setting include

Clive Barker
Stephen Brust
C. S. Freidman
Neil Gaiman
Guy Gavriel Kay
H.P. Lovecraft
George R. R. Martin
Michael Moorcock
Anne Rice
J. K. Rowling
Sepulchrave II

Aztec, Celtic, and Norse mythology
The Brothers Grimm fairy tales

The Eberron setting
The Planescape setting
The Ravenloft setting
The Mage: The Ascension setting

...and most especially A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe.

As far as races and classes go, I allow the following.

RACES
  • Humans are adaptable, diverse, and industrious, and many human kingdoms flourish upon eastern Eriador. A human’s favored class is simply the class she has the most levels in.
  • Aelfborn are humans with traces of fey heritage, and are often magical, mysterious, and secretive. Their favored class is bard.
  • Anhardd are cunning survivors with little binding them to the expectations of their human or hobgoblin kin. Their favored class is fighter.
  • The Weretouched are loners from the far north, animalistic humans whose lycanthropic lineage has marked them for all to see. Their favored class is ranger.
  • Gnomes are inventive builders and thinkers with a flair for creation, espionage, and song. Their favored class is artificer.
  • Goblins are crafty skulkers in human society, unusually adept at getting what they want with minimal personal risk. Their favored class is rogue.
  • Warforged are newly-sapient living constructs built by gnomes to fight in human wars, who have begun to assert their individual freedoms from their creators and masters. Their favored class is fighter.
  • Other Races live in diverse regions across the world of Fionavar, such the sturdy desert dwarves of Ashana, the psionically-charged kalashtar of the hidden land of Adar, the minotaur-like tauren of far Westernesse, the feline khajiit of the Serpent Archipelago, and the shamanistic Shissar tribe of lizardfolk from the tropics. In the north, tragic half-ogres and inquisitive faen lurk on the fringes of human society, while noble aasimar and devious tieflings insinuate themselves into the great cities of the east. In Eriador, these races and more are the exception rather than the rule

CLASSES
  • Artificer
  • Barbarian
  • Bard (slightly modified)
  • Champion (from Arcana Evolved)
  • Cleric
  • Druid
  • Favored Soul
  • Fighter
  • Hexblade
  • Monk
  • Paladin
  • Psion
  • Psychic Warrior
  • Racial Paragon
  • Ranger (both 3.5 standard and homebrew variant)
  • Rogue
  • Scout
  • Soulknife
  • Spellthief
  • Spirit Shaman
  • Sorcerer
  • Unfettered (from Arcana Evolved)
  • Warlock
  • Warmage
  • Wilder
  • Wizard
  • ...plus countless variants thereof, often segregated by race or region of origin

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I have two of them currently in development:

The Nameless World: Pretty much everything you hated about OD&D. Towns whose economy revolves entirely around adventurers. A profession called 'adventurer'. Massive dungeons as a natural part of the environment. Snooty Elves whose mastery of the longbow makes Robin Hood look like a punk. Dwarves who drink a lot and have a hammer fetish. A diminutive, gluttonus, folk with hairy feet stolen verbatim from Tolkien. Rediculously powerful arcane magics. And it's growing.

The Kingdom of Metal: The 13th Warrior. Christopher Lambert's Beowulf. Manowar ballads. Post-apocalyptic fantasy. Vikings. Vast tracts of ash-covered wilderness crawling with mutated chaos. Small outpost villages. Humans bred to protect Chieftains, Jarls, and The Metal King. A horrible secret actually tied to leveling up (in setting). Shallow and violent with a dab of philosophical irony. Very little magic, save for that used by village norns (i.e., witches).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases