Moving Up In The World [Eye of the Storm Players STAY OUT!]

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
In a recent campaign, the characters have moved to a big city, managed to sell off thier items and buy an abandoned church. After a lot of fear, they succeeded in clearing out the evil spirits from the church, and have set about restoring it.

Background said:
The city itself is huge. 50 mile radius from the center. The church they bought sits on 22 acres in the flooded area, meaning it's on an island so to speak. They have the cathedral, the nunnery, the cloister, several out buildings, some orchards, and a wizard's tower. It's a good sized estate. The city itself is old, with street gangs, fighting between the guard and citizens, an aloof aristocracy out of touch with the commoners, corrupt judges and politicians.
Now, the PC's have hired the only construction crew they could deal with if they didn't want to pay tens of thousands in gold just to get the crews on the grounds. They bribed a judge or two, and some officials, got thier liscenses, and moved in half orcs/half ogres to do the work.

The PC's decided it would be easier to have the work crews on the premises, so the first thing they did was have the work crews build themselves work quarters and ship in loads of food/drink. The crews happily attacked the work, with children running about squealing, non-working folk doing such things as stitching curtians and tablecloth, cleaning recovered silverware, and surverying the grounds for the PC's.

Now, here's what I've figured out.

The party has been VERY willing to help out the workers, and I was figuring...

With the amount of money the PC's are pouring into this construction job, about 1/4 of it has already made it's way back into the half-orc/half-ogre quarter. The corrupt Guild/Union bosses of other companies and guilds will have undoubtablely heard about this. They aren't getting a piece of what is turning out to be a sweet pie. (The half-ogre labour boss managed to get the PC's to pay 8x normal work pay, bonuses, and hire what is normally non-labour, meaning they're just racing through thier funds, but the workers are happy)

What I figured is have it start out small. With a few work parties getting rousted by a corrupt local ward-boss and his guards. Hijack a few shipments of stone, stained glass, wood, metal, etc. At first, the PC's will just pay the fines (going for the non-violent range first) then move into courts.

Then it will lead eventually to bloodshed, one way or another. See, the High Duke doesn't really know what is happening, niether does his inner circle. The picture on the streets is a lot different than what the High Duke sees.

The PC's would be able to move into a position of power by getting the disenfranchised commoners and noble families, taking on corrupt position seekers and avoided allowing the organized crime families from getting thier fingers into it.

So, while right now they are exploring the abandoned sewer network, where it connects to thier estate, I have time to plan this.

I figure: A few hijackings, with minor fines (made up, but sounding official) that only run a few hundred.

Some robberies as the local thieves guild tries to move in.

Some of the work crew getting roughed up.

A night-time attack with members of a local construction guild hucking Molotov Cocktails into the temporary workers housing and firing bows into the panicked workers and thier families.

A meeting with the local ward boss and his cronies.

I figure this will stress both the combat and noncombat sides of the game. Making not only diplomacy checks important, but role-playing. Bringing the PC who has petitioned to enter an ancient (25,000+ years old) assassin's guild into the forefront as he helps the party maneuver through politics and cloak and dagger stuff.

Let the PC's take on the street gangs, make alliances with power groups.

See, I promised no "ancient threats" in this game, meaning that no bad guys that have remained hidden for ages, nobody from before the Second Lich King War, and I've got to come up with all kinds of new opponents.

So, I've got a 14th level aristocrat for the District Boss, his troubleshooter, his house mage, then a 8th level aristocrat/8th level Adept for the Dowager Mother in that family.

Three local street gangs, some local areas of interest (including the tavern where the high ranking members of the local mason's guild gets together), a wizard that's been reduced to poverty, lost his spellbooks and familiar, and needs money to not only get his spellbooks back, but investigate his pet theory that the flooding of the city is not a natural thing.

So, the idea is, to juggle five or six plot lines at once:

The fighter deciding he wants to move up in the Church of Set. Get him involved in Church politics.

The Sorcereress getting deeper involved with the Church of Anubis. She's joining the Arm of Set, which does long strike missions, explorations, missionary work, quests, etc. So two party members will be involved with the Egyptian pantheon.

Maybe start rumbling of discontent between churches trying to divide up a shrinking congregation base.

The Barbarian/Rogue who is nervously awaiting the news on whether or not his bloodline and spirit is sufficent enough to join the assassin's guild. The guild is at war with the cargo-handlers of the northside docks.

The Fighter 1/2Elf has determined not to sink into the mire of crime and depravity that so many half-elves do (it's a world thing) and bring his name up to fame, rather than infamy. I'll have him get contacted by a local thieve's guild, and have the guild start to slowly ratchet up the pressure until the blood spills.

The druid has consecrated a sacred grove, and the tremors of that have been felt. Bring in a new cult, The Children of the Rotted Moon, and tie them into why the city has been flooding all these centuries.

The Rogue kind of kicks back and moves with the flow. I gotta kick him in the ass and get him moving. Hmmm... He'll be important for penetration and infiltration later on.

The Urban Ranger is a native to the city, but sadly, grew up 75 miles from the "estate" so he has little knowledge. His knowledge of his own Ward will be helpful in gathering allies later, so I think I'll introduce some childhood rivals/allies who have moved up in the world like he has.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Sorry, I had to run off in the middle of this...

Now, where was I?

So, looking at everything, and coming up with the background evil nemisis groups (based on campaign history, player knowledge, etc) I tied everything together.

Looking at the Diplomacy skill, I really don't like tying everything to a simple roll, but I don't like penalizing people who are poor roleplayers or get tonguetied easily.

So, I decided I'd mix a few things.

I'd go back to the base "NPC Encounter Attitude" checks, modified by the following:

How the party or individual treats locals that are cared about (either negatively or positively) by the person/people they are speaking too. This can range from +/-1 to +/-8 (You saved my grandfather, his cat, our home, and cured my sister's blindness! YAY!/I am Montoya Whatever, you killed my father, kicked my cat, and sold my mother into slavery)

How the party has treated organizations that are allied/opposed to the person/people the party is dealing with. -/+1 to -/+3 (organizations are big faceless entities, people ring more close to the heart)

Opposing Religion +/-2 to +/-5 (Religion is an important part of the setting)

That's just in general.

So, I figured: The party meets with someone, I weigh whether or not they could have been heard about for which deeds (knowledge Current Events, which we use in the campaign and everyone is considered to have at least one rank) and weigh it against thier Rep score (which I keep track of seperately) and against certian deeds Rep. So the NPC gets a Current Events/Local History roll with a DC of the 20-Rep, if the roll succeeds, the NPC has heard of the event.

Only then do the events matter. Their modifiers are quickly worked up, and then a Attitude check is rolled, adjust for any differences due to the meeting, etc, and go with it.

BUT, all that is cumbersome, and kind of a pain in the ass, but I feel that heroes should gain a reputation after time, and these guys have managed some great deeds, and have reached 7th level after much trial and hardship.

While I don't really particularly want to pick up Blue ROse, or True d20, or anything like that, I was wondering maybe if I missed something to make it a little easier that's hiding in Unearthed Arcana, the DMG, or the DMG II.

Diplomacy checks for allies and neutral officials are going to be imporant, as well as tracking not only the party's reputation, but the reputation of individual members.

Plus, another problem I'm looking at is two of my players have gamed with me for over 10 years, so it's difficult to pull surprises on them. I need some brainstorming ideas for things to fill the following mentioned power groups with.

The Cadre of Blood: Created by the Lich King Council in order to keep highly placed LT's in line. The world has blood magic in it, but supposedly there are only 15 members.

The Vampire Overwatch: A group created by the leader of the Lich King Council to keep tabs on the "Lesser Kings" but I don't want to use vampires.

Assassin Guild's, Mage Guilds, Psion Guilds, Druidic Orders, Ranger Brotherhoods, ect I all have and the PC's and players know of the larger, more well established ones, so I need the above two to be something hidden, something special, and basically crewed with immortals of one kind or another.

So, I need brainstorming ideas.

Remove ads