Fast Food Weakness

People, People.

Has food tastes dropped that much? I'm not that old (or maybe it was growing up in farm country), but you don't eat fast food because of the Taste. You eat it because its fast (usually) and cheap (er). I can't really think of any Fast Food Chain that I'd call 'Great Food" I rank them into "Edible", "OK", and "Horribly Disgusting"

I usually go to some local Chinese places when I want something quick & cheap. The good ones are like a home-made meal & I get it for less than 5 bucks.

As to my local Fast Food Choices:

Taco Hell (umm, Bell): Maybe it's coming from a Texas family that knows what Mexican is supposed to taste like. But calling Taco Bell Mexican (or even edible) is like calling a cow patty a steak. Of every Food Place I've been too, Traco Bell still wins "Worst Food Ever".

McDonalds: Never Liked them. I used to be able to stomach the Chicken Nuggets & the fries were pretty good. The fries suck now.

I'd put McD's & the Bell as my 2 least favorite eating places, actually.

When it comes to Having to choose a Fast Food Place, I usually go to Wendy's (the only real option in our small town). PS. As fast food goes, Wendy's IS the best large national chain. My wife has several food alergies (including corn & various preservatives), Wendy's is the only place we found so far where she can even ORDER something.

When I'm in Columbia (Which has about everything), I go to Burger King or Arby's do to convient location.

Subway & Quiznos is OK. I can Stomach A&W, Fazolli's and most of the rest.

In fact, the only 2 palces I boycott are McDonald's & Taco Bell.

I've also realized that with better planning & time management, I can make my own food for cheaper, tha tastes 1,000's of times better & is a lot better for me.

Still, I'll probably stop by BK tomorrow before my Wed Game for Supper.

PS, the older I get, the greater the toll/reward I see my diet having on my health & I'm not yet 30.

Fenris

Adventurer
I pity all you people without an In-n-Out Burger. Give me a double-double anyday. Still the best quality fast food around.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
I am kind of out of the mainstram as far as fast food cravings go. If in Columbia I will visit Rush's. I grew to love them when I was in college.

Around here (Myrtle Beach), I go with Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Huge hand cut fries in a big greasy paper bag.

If I want something less greasy I love Firehouse Subs or Moe's Southwest Grill.

At last night's session, we devoured 48 Krystal burgers.

Even with Cola, I lean towards Natural Brew Cream Soda and Red Rock Premium Cola. I can't stand the standard colas.

DM

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Jamba is national - American University has one on campus. I have one at least once a week. :)
Wait a minute! You go to American? My sister goes to American!

Anyway, on topic...

Yes, Jamba Juice is my biggest chain food love affair, but due to being stuck on campus between classes, I have fallen once more into the delicious cheesy clutches of Taco Bell. I know it doesn't taste a damn thing like real Mexican food (California's probably second to Texas in terms of "where to get good Mexican food outside of Mexico"), but it's still delicious.

Demiurge out.

IronWolf

blank
werk said:
Up here, there is a regional fast food and custard place called Culver's. It is SO good I can't even put it into words. They call all of their hamburgers "butter-burgers" so that should give anyone who hasn't been there a clue about what they do. It's like a block from my house, but a full meal from there has like 5000 calories...which is probably why I crave it.

MMmmm.... We finally have Culver's down here in Columbus, OH, but I remember while I was in college when I would always stop in at a Culver's when I was in the Madison area visiting friends and family.

Crothian

First Post
IronWolf said:
MMmmm.... We finally have Culver's down here in Columbus, OH, but I remember while I was in college when I would always stop in at a Culver's when I was in the Madison area visiting friends and family.

We have on in Columbus?

IronWolf

blank
Crothian said:
We have on in Columbus?

Two of them that I know of. One over off Rome-Hilliard road on the way to the Guard Tower I believe (across the WalMart). Shay can tell you the story about when I spotted that one!

The other is up in Powell by Big Bear Farms.

I've only been able to talk Lady IronWolf into going once, it wasn't really her thing and I my heart is probably better for it, but I still love that place!

Fenris said:
I pity all you people without an In-n-Out Burger. Give me a double-double anyday. Still the best quality fast food around.
In-N-Out's burgers are teh yummy, but their lame fries are their fatal flaw. Limp, oily and mealy.

We finally got a Fatburger franchise up here and I'm quite impressed. You can get anywhere from a reasonably-sized 1/3 lb. Fatburger to a coronary-inducing 1 lb. Double Kingburger, their fries are pretty good (not the best I've ever tasted, but head and shoulders above In-N-Out's deep fried mockery), and the true coup de grace, BACON. A burger place can never be called the best if it doesn't have bacon.

shaylon

First Post
IronWolf said:
Two of them that I know of. One over off Rome-Hilliard road on the way to the Guard Tower I believe (across the WalMart). Shay can tell you the story about when I spotted that one!

The other is up in Powell by Big Bear Farms.

I've only been able to talk Lady IronWolf into going once, it wasn't really her thing and I my heart is probably better for it, but I still love that place!

Cool, didn't know about the one in Powell Farms.

As to the Guard Tower story. We were heading over there and stopped at an Arby's. We ate, and came out of the parking lot and there was the Culver's. I'd never been there but it had been open a couple of months. Ironwolf went on and on about the place. I thought he was genuinely mad at me for not pointing it out but if you know the area it is a bit out of view from the road and I don't typically think about it. My lady and I tried the place and really liked it. She loved it, I thought it was pretty good. I don't think there fries are that great but there burgers are really, really good.

As for the rest of the fast food I generally eat Wendy's or Arby's but I truly wish that we had an In-n-Out burger, a Carl's Jr, and a Jack in the box in my area. For that matter would it kill Columbus to get a freaking IHOP or a Denny's? Not everyone loves Bob Evans!

So, QueenD, you and the Universe left SD for DC? Congrats. I think that is wonderful despite missing your fast food chain. Does the Universe go to American as well? I have a friend that recently graduated from Georgetown Law in the area. Beautiful area. (well some of it is anyway. ;) )

-Shay

IronWolf

blank
shaylon said:
I truly wish that we had ... a Jack in the box in my area.

bleh! Jack in the Box? Had those in Tucson, the only time they were good was when you might have been headed home from the bars in the wee morning hours.... :D

Remove ads