You Must Fight! For Your Right!

I wasn't sure where to post this, but i figured this was the closest heading.

I recently submitted an application to my school principal, along with my friends, to start a D&D Club type activity. To say the least, he didn't like it very much, and we were unable to get our application passed as an actual club/activity.

We were hoping that everyone who visits could help us out. If you are a part of or know of a successful RPG program of any type at a school/religious gathering place/town hall, it would be incredible if you could let us know ASAP. We're going to go to our school board and do whatever we can to prove that this club is worth the time (all we need is a room, no funding or anything! We all have books, and we let them know that!!!).

Give us your fodder. We hope our program brings even more gamers into the light!

IronWolf

blank
Sell it as a 'gaming' club. This can include D&D, board games, other RPGs, etc. It might help to get the school to approve of it.

Proposal for Fantasy Role-playing Club
Intro
We are Corey Gross, Ben Fisher, and Paul Karavaev. One of our main interests is fantasy role-playing in the form of Dungeons and Dragons, or D&D. A major challenge among role-players is finding a game. The players and the Dungeon Master (DM, the person who runs a D&D game) are often blind to each other, and it becomes a hassle to get gamers together. This is where we come in.
Purpose
The purpose of this Fantasy Role-playing Club is to solve 2 crises:
1) The hassle a player has to go through to find a group
2) The insecurity of the player versus the norm of high school students
Crisis number one is easy. Once the players get together, it’s simple for them to get started with a game. They need a DM, which is solved by our own participation, and a place to play, which is where the school comes in. All at once, the players have a place to go and exercise their hobby.
Crisis number two is slightly more difficult. The norm of high school students and the stereotypes against D&D are unique. This is solved, however, by having a larger group of maybe 20 students. A larger group gives the players a sense of belonging and a group of people who truly relate to any peer pressure they experience.
Operation
The club would work in small groups. The sponsors would only really be there to make sure the participants (including us) do not hurt each other, destroy property, abuse substances in school, or otherwise break school rules. While they are welcome to participate in the club, our sponsors are parents and their biased opinion can not be allowed to change the group.
We (Corey, Ben, and Paul) would lead and direct the group. Each of us would potentially DM and participate in a small group of participants. We have played in our own games and have an average knowledge of the rules, and we have also had answered the questions that they are bound to ask. This is conditional, and since it is the first year we would like to maintain control over the growth and advancement of their gaming experience.
Another aspect of the club would be to have guests come in and give us extra advice and insight into aspects of the game. We know of two men whom, if they had the time, would most likely be our sponsors. However, due to an inability to consistently appear at meetings and gaming sessions, the parents seemed a better, more reliable choice. These men, however, have been playing for years and lead normal lives (one is a scientist, the other runs a hobby store).
Meetings/Sessions
Meetings and Sessions are two different things.
A meeting would occur on Thursdays. Meeting in a classroom, we would touch up characters and prepare for the next session to come. Not everyone is required to show up at a meeting, but they are required to appear at a session.
Sessions would occur hopefully on Sundays (preferably) or Saturdays. These would be where the game actually occurs. The players speak as if they were their characters, participate in a story line, and everyone socializes. It’s festive and we enjoy ourselves, occasionally with refreshments (soda cans, pizza).
Conclusion
A Fantasy Role-playing Club is a social club. While not required, it improves the morale of a student and keeps them busy. Our environment is friendly, secure, and progressive. We already know that there are students who would join a club such as this. We realize what an undertaking this club would be, and the responsibility we would hold.
While a social club, however, a Fantasy Role-playing Club is enriching. My personal experience shows that there are friendships and good times to be had around a gaming table. D&D exercises the imagination and allows a player to be involved in a surreal reality. The sheer fun provided by the game deserves to be enjoyed by anyone who would potentially participate in this club.

i'm pretty sure this is exactly what we handed in, in addition to the usual forms and such...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
WotC themselves is doing something through some libraries, I'm sure their site says more about it...about getting kids into reading and learning basic math skills, problem-solving, team-building, and using their imaginations. And then comparing what D&D does in all that to what Badmiton does (which is what, exactly?!) should get you a pretty solid case. Not that they'll approve it anyway, but at least you'll have good evidence for what it does.

Something I want to be able to say to them or compromise with is "well, this is how they did it, can we try it like that?" or "it was successful in these places, at least give us a trial."

Mystery Man

First Post
Your principal also has to play politics with all of the inbred slackjawed mouth breathers who happen to be completely ignorant of what D&D is all about and will come out of the wordwork when they hear the school is sponsoring such a ghastly thing. No matter how much you inform your principal and even though he may want to let you he can't.

Cheer up though, at least you've got some friends to game with on the weekends.

see, while i have that weekend group, i'm being told (cough, cough, forced, cough cough) to get a job... so i'm probably gonna lose all my players when i have to convert to a weekday game...

Remove ads