Flying Buffalo D20?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Does anyone else remember these products?

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/catalyst.htm

I remember a while ago Necromancer Games accounced Grimtooth's Worst, but what about the rest of the line? I'd love to see a City Book hardcover with the best presented, or the Lejentia Elves updated to 3rd edition. Now that we have ECL's they would better fit in the core game without sacrificing their powers or staggering them out for levels at a time.

BV210

Explorer
I love the old Catalyst series. I bought all the CityBooks for use in my campaign. A d20 upgrade would be a terrific idea. Here's to hoping it becomes a reality!

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
For fear of sounding like a "me too" poster let me just say that d20 city book stuff would be an awesome idea. That stuff is almost impossible to find these days and I used to use it all the time.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Okay... last year they mentioned they were working on a city guide? Can you be more specific? I mean if it's a reprint/update, what's the horse taking so long for eh?

bolen

First Post
I which I could. I thout they were going to D20ize the existing city guides , but that was a year ago that's all I know.

starwolf

First Post
With all due respect gentleman, I don't see whyy they would need to "update" the city guides for d20, since they were so generic to begin with. As a matter of fact, they shoud be even easier to use with 3e than they were with 1st ed. or 2nd ed.

JoeGKushner

First Post
No problem. Here's the short reason. I don't have the time to convert them. Dind't in 1st or 2nd either. Besides, I don't think that their generic format helped them sell lots of product whereas the D20 logo sure seems to help a whole lotta publishers.

Next question?

starwolf

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
I don't think that their generic format helped them sell lots of product whereas the D20 logo sure seems to help a whole lotta publishers.

Sadly that shows the sad state of affairs in the industry currently.

If you can slap the d20 logo on it you can sell almost anything, good or otherwise.

These books are excellent IMNSHO and shouldn't need the d20 logo to sell.

As to converting.... The only part of the books that really would require d20 stats are the NPC's themselves, and a quick use of Jamis Buck's online generator can give you a usable stat block real quick like, and when E-Tools ever finally hit's the shelves you won't even need that

As an example let us take Korbos' Transport from book 1

Korbo is an expert so I decided he would be lvl 5 for my game....a quick generation and I get

Gedrin Korbo, male human Exp5: CR 4; Size M (5 ft., 8 in. tall); HD 5d6+10; hp 30; Init +4 (+4 Dex); Spd 30 ft.; AC 14 (+4 Dex); Attack +4 melee, or +7 ranged; SV Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +8; AL NG; Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 18, Cha 14.

Languages Spoken: Aquan, Common, Halfling, Sylvan.

Skill points: Exp 80
Skills and feats: Animal empathy +10, Appraise +11, Handle animal +12, Hide +4, Innuendo +10, Intimidate +10, Listen +12, Move silently +6, Perform +9, , Search +10, Spot +10, Use rope +6, Wilderness lore +12; Endurance, Expertise, Skill focus (handle animal).

Even though he hates horses that doesn't mean he doesn't know them inside and out.

Then there is "Crazy" Ool,
From his description I'd say he has at least one level of Barbarian and a few of fighter so:

Crazy Ool, male human Bbn2/Ftr3: CR 5; Size M (6 ft., 2 in. tall); HD 2d12+6 + 3d10+9; hp 37; Init +8 (+4 Dex, +4 Improved initiative); Spd 40 ft.; AC 14 (+4 Dex); Attack +9 melee, or +9 ranged; SV Fort +9, Ref +7, Will +2; AL NG; Str 18, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 18.

Languages Spoken: Common, Undercommon.

Skill points: Bbn 30, Ftr 12
Skills and feats: Climb +10, Craft +2, Handle animal +9, Heal +3.5, Hide +4, Intimidate +8, Intuit direction +6, Jump +5, Listen +1, Move silently +4, Ride +10, Spot +1, Swim +10, Wilderness lore +5; Cleave, Improved bull rush, Improved initiative, Lightning reflexes, Power attack.

Total time for this.....5 minutes or so.....take another 15 and really narrow them down to what you want.

Next Question?

:D

JoeGKushner

First Post
Yeha, when are you going finish the rest of 'em. I'm really interested in the old weapon training master from Deadly Nightshade with that particular skin condition...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases