Size of creature vs Number of squares or "What Is The Surface Area Of an Owl Bear?"

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I'm sure I'll see some familiar names chime in on this one, but I think it's an interesting question.

Okay, picture it...

Owl Bear
Fighter
Fighter Rogue
Monk
Cleric
Bard (me... duh)

Owl Bear grapples the Fighter... Bard uses Grease on Fighter. Fighter escapes grapple.
Owl Bear grapples the very wounded Monk... Bard lets the Monk know that "Grease is the word". Monk escapes grapple.
... Eventually, Owl Bear is dead and everybody but the Bard (who uses ranged weapons thank you very much) has been slimmed and feels "kinda funky".

The question is this...

Could I have saved some spell points and just greased the Owlbear?

Grease does a 10ft square of ground... So I could have greased the area it was standing on, but I didn't want to fall on the people he was grappling.

An Owlbear takes up a 10ft space on the grid... It is a Large sized creature. If a spell covers "a 10ft square" does that mean it will cover something that sits on a 10ft square completely?

Artoomis

First Post
srd said:
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target or Area: One object or a 10-ft. square
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance: No

A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).

The spell can also be used to create a greasy coating on an item. Material objects not in use are always affected by this spell, while an object wielded or employed by a creature receives a Reflex saving throw to avoid the effect. If the initial saving throw fails, the creature immediately drops the item. A saving throw must be made in each round that the creature attempts to pick up or use the greased item. A creature wearing greased armor or clothing gains a +10 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks and on grapple checks made to resist or escape a grapple or to escape a pin.

It would appear that Grease cannot be used on a creature, only a surface or object. Thus you used it properly - though only if cast on your other PC's armor or clothing, not on them.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Well...

Being the only woman in the group, I wasn't going to cast it *under* their clothing.

:uhoh: :heh: :p

So, one could cast it on clothing but not on "feathers"?

Silveras

First Post
Bloodsparrow said:
Well...

Being the only woman in the group, I wasn't going to cast it *under* their clothing.

:uhoh: :heh: :p

So, one could cast it on clothing but not on "feathers"?

The feathers, in this case, are part of the creature, and you cannot target creatures. Now, if someone were to pluck all of the Owlbear's feathers and make a cloak of them, the cloak would be a legitimate target.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases