Age of Empires 3

Well I'm a bit dissappointed. :\ I'm sure some people out there will/do love it, but I'm not among that number. Pitty, won't be able to afford another game any time soon, and I haven't any real interest in playing AoE3. You'd think I'd learn by now not to buy on impulse.

Heh, if I thought anyone was interested I'd offer to trade DnD books for the game.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I played the demo. It was underwhelming, but I've been playing RTSes since Dune 2 and they all seem kinda formulaic to me by now.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I see, in the commercials, that they have infantry formed up in a square around a big cannon.

I tried doing that in AoE2, and it didn't work. Either the infantry ran off to engage the enemy and didn't return, or the bombard capped them when it hit what they were fighting, or the infantry sat and didn't attack the enemy that was attacking them. Yes, that's in rough proportion to the Offensive/Defensive/No Attack stances.

I have the requisite Civ 4 preorder, and I'm anticipating the requisite disappointment. :)

Brad

Tharkun

First Post
Well, if you like AoE 1 or 2 one would assume that you'd also like AoE 3 so the reverse is true also. I like AoE 1 & 2 so I'll be getting AoE 3.

Tharkun said:
Well, if you like AoE 1 or 2 one would assume that you'd also like AoE 3 so the reverse is true also. I like AoE 1 & 2 so I'll be getting AoE 3.

Heh, wanna buy a slightly used copy? Limited copies (ok, copy) available.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the same way, it's why I picked it up on impulse. Usualy I get the demo and read a few reviews to get a rounded view of what i'm getting into.

It's very nice graphcialy, and I even noticed how nice the sounds were, this is from someone that plays most non-shooters without sound. It's just not 'working' for me. I dunno, maybe I was spoiled by Cossacks or something. Now, when I see games from that era I think they should have massive formations of musketeers volley firing into each other, all the while Cannon on the hilltops blast away. Then again it could simply be that my opinion is colored by never having won a game at it, heh.

I'd probably keep it, just because it is the latest in a line of games I have all the other editions of, but I can only realy afford one game now, and I wish I'd waited till Civ 4 hit shelves.

Remove ads