Memory Lane

Nathal

Explorer
Remember when you first played D&D? Ten years old? Twelve?

How many kids do you know play D&D regularly like we did? I'm interested in hearing stories or observations about that. The 2nd Edition book stated, I believe, "for ages 10 and up". What does WOTC assume for 3rd Edition?

Chalres Ryan said that D&D player participation has increased 15% over the last year or so, but of that percent, how many of them were older kids, like us (ya know, in our 20s and 30s for the most part). Is the hobby becoming more insular, even though the fans increase in number?

Just curious as to opinions out there. ;)

lior_shapira

Explorer
I was 13 when I started playing the basic d&d set and today at 28 I'm still going strong. I don't personally know any kids who play but D&D afternoon "classes" are becoming more and more popular for kids. My FLGS owner organizes sort of a living Warcraft D20 campaign and its mostly younger kids

lior

BullMarkOne

First Post
I started playing basic D&D with the red box, when I was 9 or 10. My brother, who's a year younger than I, started at the same time.

My two stepsons (9 & 11) who play in a bi-weekly D&D 3.5 game with their mother, a player from my other group, and myself (as DM) are the only kids I know who play at all, much less regularly. I wouldn't mind roping a few of their friends into the sessions, but so far none seem to have shown any real interest.

Pinotage

Explorer
My first experiences were of my brother and I fighting over the manuals in the car while driving long distance back from holiday, both of us wanting to run the solo adventure in the red box basic set. I was 10 back then, and playing again now.

Pinotage

FickleGM

Explorer
I only vaguely remember playing D&D when I was around 12, but it was one time. I also played once or twice when I was 14. I did not start playing regularly until I was 18.

On the other hand, my two oldest daughters have played somewhat regularly since they were (IIRC) 9 (now 11) and 11 (now 15). I also (just this week) allowed my youngest daughter (currently 7) to play an elf in a True20 game with the middle daughter.

Corbert

Explorer
I was first introduced to D&D at age 19. We spent an entire day creating characters (everyone but the DM were N00Bs), and then didn't play :( . I didn't find another group to game with until I was 27, but I've been playing with them for the past 11 years, and running my own campaigns for 10 or those years.

Nathal

Explorer
FickleGM said:
I only vaguely remember playing D&D when I was around 12, but it was one time. I also played once or twice when I was 14. I did not start playing regularly until I was 18.

On the other hand, my two oldest daughters have played somewhat regularly since they were (IIRC) 9 (now 11) and 11 (now 15). I also (just this week) allowed my youngest daughter (currently 7) to play an elf in a True20 game with the middle daughter.

That's cool. My wife and I are due to have our first child in January, a daughter. Maybe someday I'll get to play RPGs as a family. I'm sure that'll be a very different experience than the games I remember playing with my peers...I'll have to stick a "G" rating on the material. :)

Remove ads