Castlevania D&D

Anubis

First Post
Well, I was thinking of putting a Castlevania-style vampire hunter in an upcoming campaign, someone like out of the Belmont clan of the series. The problem is that, in D&D, whips do nonlethal damage and are not suitable as weapons; quite a problem given that the famous whip is the Belmont weapon-of-choice.

How would one go about bringing a Belmont and that famous whip into a D&D campaign? I can't find anything resembling the Belmonts' famous whip, so I'm at a loss as to how this could be pulled off.

IcyCool

First Post
Kusari-Gama from the DMG.

It's a light reach weapon. I think it does 1d6 damage as well.

Edit - it's basically a lower-damage spiked chain that you can use in one hand.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Anubis said:
How would one go about bringing a Belmont and that famous whip into a D&D campaign?

The Belmont would, I think, quite possibly qualify as a humanoid outsider. I heavily suspect that the Belmonts aren't entirely human, given their unusual connection to vampires (Dracula in particular).

I can't find anything resembling the Belmonts' famous whip, so I'm at a loss as to how this could be pulled off.

I'm pretty sure that the Belmont whip would be an artifact, given that it can morph into different kinds of weapons depending upon conditions (and note that, in some Castlevania games, different whip types do more or less damage to different kinds of undead).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
There is the good ol' whip-dagger from the Sword and Fist splatbook... it does 1d6 regular damage, but can't entangle.

Although using a spiked chain is way cooler. :)

Drowbane

First Post
Back when 3.0 was still fresh, I made a Belmont wanna-be who had levels in Lasher and used a Whip-dagger (the end of which was bludgeoning dmg)... Oh, and it had Flaming on it 5 times. :p

Thia Halmades

First Post
My colleagues posted a lot of what you're looking for, but I would change the stats on the whip to something much closer to the Kusari-Gama, even if that means bending the rules somewhat. Also, it's a huge question as to which version of CV we're going with here. That whip was clearly never ordinary. You can also opt to 'reimagine' the character with something far more utilitarian than an angry piece of leather; using the spiked chain idea, pumping the damage and giving him the Trip Feat would go a long way towards making your case.

Problem with Vampire hunting is always more a matter of research, and less a matter of fighting hordes of minions, mostly because Vampires often opt to render themselves unkillable and have absurdly well hidden and well defended hideouts. I have a Vamp as an NPC BBEG in one of my campaigns, and I cried when I statted her out. When it comes to Vampire Hunters, it ain't the Vampire I'm worried about.

was

Adventurer
I think there was a whip back in the 3.0 ranger/druids book that had glass or metal braided into the whip that did slashing damage.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
was said:
I think there was a whip back in the 3.0 ranger/druids book that had glass or metal braided into the whip that did slashing damage.

Actually, I believe that you're correct. I seem to recall the resident Druid (Ginsu) of my group at the time wielding one of these.

Remove ads