The Gnoll... what level am I?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I am currently playing a Gnoll Ranger-Rogue using the gestalt rules from Unearthed Arcana. From what I understand:

* This race gets two "free" levels of humanoid, giving him significant bonuses as a 1st level character (such as 2d8 HP, Fort save +3, and a free feat, among others).

* This race has a level adjustment +1, which means (again, if I'm reading it correctly) that his XP chart starts on the 2nd level of XP (he has 1000 "banked" XP).

So, what I'm having trouble determining is this... is this character appropriate for a 1st level adventure? Is he actually a level 3 character? How do 2 racial levels work if this character is already a gestalt? And... How many skill points does he get a level, if you include his racial levels?

dcollins

Explorer
Herobizkit said:
* This race gets two "free" levels of humanoid, giving him significant bonuses as a 1st level character (such as 2d8 HP, Fort save +3, and a free feat, among others).

* This race has a level adjustment +1, which means (again, if I'm reading it correctly) that his XP chart starts on the 2nd level of XP (he has 1000 "banked" XP).

No, he starts at LA + HD + class level = 1+2+1 = level 4. You're a 4th-level character, with 6,000 XP. From the SRD in "Improving Monsters":

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level: To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels. The monster is considered to have experience points equal to the minimum needed to be a character of its ECL.

Thanee

First Post
Racial HD/LA and Gestalt is tricky.

If you go by the book, the character is a rather weak 1st level Gestalt Gnoll Ranger/Rogue with ECL 4th.

I'd recommend splitting the racial HD and the LA between the two Gestalt sides (one has the racial HD, the other the LA) and make it ECL 3rd that way.

i.e.

1st - 1st racial HD | +1 LA
2nd - 2nd racial HD | -
3rd - 1st Ranger level | 1st Rogue level

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases