better gaming through chemistry

Steverooo

First Post
jim pinto said:
this article was submitted to shadis LONG ago... and it presents an excellent alternative to the event-driven story...

Did you work for Shadis? I wasn't aware that this article had ever made it into print...

Last edited:

nyrickgrant

First Post
Shadis and articles

Yes, Steve, Jim did work there. I remember corresponding with him years ago. Nice to see you here, Jim.

Thank you for dredging my drek back up from the pits. It seems I could string a thought together back in the day.

Great conversation here. The only thing I can add is that I have found that players and GMs are neither good nor bad but that the group makes them so. I have had the worst trouble finding a group to play with these last few years and it pains me greatly. I remember the great games we played in the past. It wasn't just because the adventures were well planned and expertly run or that the characters were all played in high style, but rather because we were all friends. Everyone wanted everyone else to have a great time and we all worked hard to make sure that happened. (Steve: I'm not necessarily referring here to the games my little brother participated in :) )

D&D among friends will always be better than the game played by strangers who believe it can be won or lost. Wishing you all great gaming.

Rick.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
To those who think that a book like this won't help anyone, I have to disagree.

I've had a player not too long ago who had a bad case of ADHD. There was no hope for him no matter what we tried. So a book such as this would do nothing for him.

But we've also had several other players in our group over the years who simply needed a push in the right direction and some basic training. For these guys, a help book could be an invaluable time-saver.

When people join our group who have not played D&D 3E, or no D&D at all, we basically help them create their first character.
That character is always a straight up fighter because they are generally easier to learn than other classes.

About 2 years ago we had a guy who was brand new to D&D. He didn't like his fighter after a few weeks of play, so when a new campaign began, he chose not to be a fighter. He decided on a druid/monk for reasons unfathomable by the rest of us.

Week after week went by and there wasn't a single session where he didn't slow down the game, spending minutes to figure out his PC's BAB, spell, or other action. And of course his PC was totally innefectual as anything other than a target during combat.

And when role-playing was being done, he just kind of sat there quietly listening unless I, the DM, prompted him for something. This is understandable to a point, because we all have to start somewhere.

As weeks went by, he learned more and more, but just couldn't get up to speed. And eventually he left for unrelated reasons. Several of our group were glad to see him go.

But a player's help book would have been perfect for this guy to at least set him on a path that would get him more enjoyment out of the game and to help him understand why the other players would get frustrated with him.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've had a player not too long ago who had a bad case of ADHD. There was no hope for him no matter what we tried. So a book such as this would do nothing for him.

I don't know...we've got an ADHD guy in our group...he's a blast! You just have to help them find PC's that fit their demeanor and play style.

In RIFTS, it was a Juicer (chemically enhanced super-warrior mercenaries with a 5 year life span). His big quote: "Tick-Tock Mother-F****R! You're still here?" whenever somebody talked to his PC too long...

In D&D, he's playing a "legitimate businessman."

But we more experienced players had to steer him into classes that were more action oriented- and so while the book might not help him directly, it might improve the gamers AROUND him to help him game more effectively.

As weeks went by, he learned more and more, but just couldn't get up to speed.

Some never do...

Another game group I was in had 2 players who were constantly a bit off on their attack bonuses, etc. but we just "left the training wheels on" and helped them when they needed it. Why? Because they were fun to be around and (eventually became) pretty good role-players, even if they didn't grasp the mechanics.

A book with helpful hints on how to help people like that (and with other RPG handicaps) manage their PCs couldn't hurt- if nothing else, it will enlighten their fellow players who may then be able to help them.

jim pinto

First Post
nyrickgrant said:
Yes, Steve, Jim did work there. I remember corresponding with him years ago. Nice to see you here, Jim.

Thank you for dredging my drek back up from the pits. It seems I could string a thought together back in the day.

D&D among friends will always be better than the game played by strangers who believe it can be won or lost. Wishing you all great gaming.

Rick.

what a great quote... can that go in my book?

anyway, yeah. your article rocked. i was GOING to print it. but shadis tanked with issue 54 or 55... we laid it out, sent it to the printer, and basically prepared it for public viewing when the bosses put the magazine on hiatus... and never brought it back

i still have a copy of your article, actually, because i thought it was pretty good.

and its jim

not Jim

:)

peace

jim pinto

First Post
outline

for the record, we're working on an outline now for this (and two other books)

i don't know or care if this makes millions, but i need to give something back to the industry that i left behind.

i want to write these books

i want to impart something beyond another book on necromancy where they sacrifice blood instead of flesh or sanity instead of bone or monkeys instead of rice

game books have the potential to change their structure from the splat-book of the month/week/day to something more useful to DM and player alike.

i know i'm thinking way outside the box, and i have plenty of projects to keep me busy, so starting my own fledgling company as a 24/7 venture isn't in the cards as the moment.

so effectively, i'm just giving away these ideas to whatever eavesdropping companies that want them.

which brings me to part 2 of this saga... (to be posted later)

JoeGKushner

First Post
Sounds interesting.

And I think that the 'industry' needs some thinking outside the box.

On one hand we have companies going the way of the dinosaur due to a wide variety of things and on the other companies selling out of their print runs but overall, fewer evergreen titles and less selling by more companies.

I'm posting to remind myself to dig up a (fairly) recent issue of Dungeon magazine in which Monte Cook describes "the perfect player". Could be useful to compare notes with that article.

jim pinto

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
I'm posting to remind myself to dig up a (fairly) recent issue of Dungeon magazine in which Monte Cook describes "the perfect player". Could be useful to compare notes with that article.

hmm

never read it

which issue? is it recent? still on stands?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Eh... really, it was just a paraphrase of an interview with me! ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases