[COMBAT] Pool of Radiance

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Sir Dryw

"This creature is too deadly to leave alive this close to a settlement!" Sir Dryw says. "Make ready for its attack!"

Sir Dryw shifts his shield into position and hefts his shillelagh into striking position. He finds it curious the beast isn't upon them already, but continues to sniff the air, confident in his abilities and patience.

[sblock=OOC]Use shield block vs. the basilisk. This'll bump Sir Dryw's AC by +1. Ready a club strike when it comes into striking range. Scent allows one to pinpoint a creature's location if it is within 5 feet.[/sblock]

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance

"So THIS is why my mother always told me to be sure and wear clean underwear in stressful situations!"

For his action later this round, Emagor will ready a spell. And hope against hope that he can figure out something useful to do against this brute.....

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Kordunn attempts to move over to get an angle on the creature and blast it with a series of magic missiles. "The webs are flammable but don't burn down the library, target the creature itself." He tries to avoid direct eye contact with the beast and target its body with the unerring magical bolts.

Thanee

First Post
Gaze Attacks

[SBLOCK=Gaze Attacks]Gaze (Su): A gaze special attack takes effect when opponents look at the creature’s eyes. Each opponent within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw each round at the beginning of his or her turn in the initiative order. Only looking directly at a creature with a gaze attack leaves an opponent vulnerable. Opponents can avoid the need to make the saving throw by not looking at the creature, in one of two ways.

Averting Eyes: The opponent avoids looking at the creature’s face, instead looking at its body, watching its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, and so on. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance to not need to make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment against that opponent.

Wearing a Blindfold: The opponent cannot see the creature at all (also possible to achieve by turning one’s back on the creature or shutting one’s eyes). The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment against the opponent.

A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above. Thus, it is possible for an opponent to save against a creature’s gaze twice during the same round, once before the opponent’s action and once during the creature’s turn.[/SBLOCK]

Please make sure, that I know what precautions you are taking, once you come into line of sight.

Right now:

- Dryw: eyes shut (as wearing a blindfold)
- Kordunn: averting eyes

Scotley

Hero
Eldwyn

The halfling turns his back and fishes in his pack for a winter blanket. Then holding it before him to block his view, he makes his way along the web as close as he dares (to ~B11). Then still averting his gaze from the creature's face, he tosses the blanket (1d20+8=23) at its head trying to cover it.

Leif

Adventurer
Emagor Rilliance

Emagor will also shut his eyes and cast Extended Unluck with the intent to affect all foes within range. [Can I get away with that? Pleeeease? :) ]

Thanee

First Post
Sorry, Leif, but targeted spells do require LoS. For that you have to use the averting your eyes option at least (the miss chance from concealment does not affect the spell, though, so it's basically a free 50% chance to avoid the gaze attack for that round).

Also Unluck wouldn't effect the gaze attack in any way, since the miss chance from averting eyes it is not a roll made for the creature.

It would mostly be good for keeping it caught in the web (chance to break out would be really slim) and when it would have to make any saving throws itself.

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, then, I'll use the 'averting my gaze' option and case Extended Unluck at the basilisk.

OOC: I wasn't even thinking of the spell having any effect on the creature's gaze attacks. But those honkin big monsters do have a nasty bite as well, and if it helps to keep it trapped in the Web, so much the better!

Voadam

Legend
[SBLOCK=Gaze Attacks]Gaze (Su): A gaze special attack takes effect when opponents look at the creature’s eyes. Each opponent within range of a gaze attack must attempt a saving throw each round at the beginning of his or her turn in the initiative order. Only looking directly at a creature with a gaze attack leaves an opponent vulnerable. Opponents can avoid the need to make the saving throw by not looking at the creature, in one of two ways.

Averting Eyes: The opponent avoids looking at the creature’s face, instead looking at its body, watching its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, and so on. Each round, the opponent has a 50% chance to not need to make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment against that opponent.

Wearing a Blindfold: The opponent cannot see the creature at all (also possible to achieve by turning one’s back on the creature or shutting one’s eyes). The creature with the gaze attack gains total concealment against the opponent.

A creature with a gaze attack can actively gaze as an attack action by choosing a target within range. That opponent must attempt a saving throw but can try to avoid this as described above. Thus, it is possible for an opponent to save against a creature’s gaze twice during the same round, once before the opponent’s action and once during the creature’s turn.[/SBLOCK]

Please make sure, that I know what precautions you are taking, once you come into line of sight.

Right now:

- Dryw: eyes shut (as wearing a blindfold)
- Kordunn: averting eyes

As long as I can still target it with my magic missiles despite its concealment I will risk its gaze with averted eyes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases