M&M: What types of heroes are in your games?

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Michael and I were talking about M&M campaigns today and started wondering what kinds of characters most frequently appear in games. My thinking was that there would be a diverse range of character types, like the Justice League, but I don't have anything to support this type of thinking.

So, in short, what types of heroes are in your games?

Jim Hague

First Post
Well, lemme think here...I'll use my current campaign, since my last one was a horrific carwreck of people making four-color heroes instead of the pulp mystery men I asked for:

*Star Sapphire - Cosmic Energy controller. Think Green Lantern, with a touch of telepathy.
*Texas Tempest - archetypal weather controller, inspired by the nasty weather in Tornado Alley in north Texas and the hurricanes on the coast.
*Paragon II - nanomachine-powered bricky type. Superman without a cape.
*Thunder Tiger - Chinese-American powered armor goon with a huge array of weaponry...and a 16 year old kid inside the suit.
*WarMage - descendant of Gunner of the Allies of Freedom. Currently filling in the role of Arcane Protector of Freedom City. Elemental sorcery powers stopped by cold iron.
*Hotshot - mutant street kid with pyrokinetic powers and flight.
*The American Dream - Lincoln TV store owner turned everyman gadgeteer. I'm tearing my hair out right now figuring out how to convert him to 2nd edition, since there's no Gadgets power.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Jim Hague said:
I'm tearing my hair out right now figuring out how to convert him to 2nd edition, since there's no Gadgets power.

Just so you know, Superline #4 is going to include a Mastermind's Manual preview article -- and the Gadget power is in there.

For that matter another preview, the Probability Control power, is in the Archetype Archive 1 PDF that will be released in the next few days.

edemaitre

Explorer
D20 "Mutants & Masterminds" 2nd Ed. Player Characters

My latest superhero game is relatively light-hearted, like an episode of "Teen Titans" or some "Excalibur" comic books. I don't have my notes in front of me for names, but the characters include:

-a Canadian ex-military bodyguard with telekinesis, age 27
-a graduate student with superstrength, age 24
-"Scourge," a French nature documentarian who turns into swarms, age 26
-"Captain Oblivious," a clueless but lucky college student, age 22
-a teenage Mafia princess hiding her mutant wings and telepathy, age 16

This past weekend, I ran a session in which they first met (but didn't necessarily cooperate), fought mysterious retro-style robots on a hoversled, and got an apartment building blown up by a V2 missile...

My previous party, which used M&M 1st Ed., foiled a bank robbery involving metahuman goons in the fictional New England city of "Drake's Port, U.S.A.:"

-"Eric Chan/Mist"-male mutant human florist and martial artist who gained the ability to change his body into steam or to make his skin metallic from a rare orchid in South America, age 27

-"Pinkie Karpov"-female metahuman librarian who gained psychic and force-projection abilities in an industrial accident in her Eastern European homeland, age 31

-"Thomas Golden/Necroid"-male metahuman alderman cursed with the ability to drain life force after exposure to chemical waste and radiation, age 31

-"John Greenfield"-male mutant human confidence artist and per diem nurse in training with the power of shapeshifting, age 32

I think M&M2 would scale nicely for previous parties in my DC Heroes/GURPS "Supers" campaigns, which ranged from junior X-Men to the Justice League in terms of power (say, levels 6 through 15), as well as in tone from horror (fighting vampires below Saint Patrick's Cathedral in New York City) to time travel (Old West) to science fiction, as well as traditional four-color comic book superheroics...

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Jim Hague said:
*The American Dream - Lincoln TV store owner turned everyman gadgeteer. I'm tearing my hair out right now figuring out how to convert him to 2nd edition, since there's no Gadgets power.

Build all his equipment using the Device power or the Equipment feat. I've always felt the Gadget power was ridiculously overpowered.

Allensh

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
Well, lemme think here...I'll use my current campaign, since my last one was a horrific carwreck of people making four-color heroes instead of the pulp mystery men I asked for:

*Star Sapphire - Cosmic Energy controller. Think Green Lantern, with a touch of telepathy.
*Texas Tempest - archetypal weather controller, inspired by the nasty weather in Tornado Alley in north Texas and the hurricanes on the coast.
*Paragon II - nanomachine-powered bricky type. Superman without a cape.
*Thunder Tiger - Chinese-American powered armor goon with a huge array of weaponry...and a 16 year old kid inside the suit.
*WarMage - descendant of Gunner of the Allies of Freedom. Currently filling in the role of Arcane Protector of Freedom City. Elemental sorcery powers stopped by cold iron.
*Hotshot - mutant street kid with pyrokinetic powers and flight.

You use the Device power as an Alternate Powers array, and possibly buy the powers as Dynamic.

Allen

Allensh

Explorer
philreed said:
Michael and I were talking about M&M campaigns today and started wondering what kinds of characters most frequently appear in games. My thinking was that there would be a diverse range of character types, like the Justice League, but I don't have anything to support this type of thinking.

So, in short, what types of heroes are in your games?

The heroes in my game are:

SENTINEL (not the sample character, but a Paragon - i.e. Superman)
MISS MYSTIC (obviously, a Mystic and a character my wife has played in various superhero games for 20+ years)
MINOTAUR (the player liked him back in 1st ed. so we lifted him)
BRAINSTORM (psychic)
WRATH (Hellfire controller)
PARADOX (dead insubstantial dimensional traveler with Drain powers)
VINDICATOR (heroic character modeled on The Terminator (Slade Wilson, not Ahnold))

Allen

DanMcS

Explorer
Jim Hague said:

There's at least three ways to do this with the 2nd edition rules. The Inventing rules from p 131, the Dynamic Powers power (reverse-engineered from Shapeshift), and the alternate power array.

The one most like 1e Gadgets is the device power array:

1) Buy a Device with an appropriate power. For Batman, buy "batsuit" or "batbelt". It gives you 5pp per rank and costs 3 or 4 pp/rank based on how easy it is to take away from you, basically- a 3pp/rank device can be Disarmed, a 4pp/rank device can only be taken once you are unconscious.
Batgear (10 ranks) (hard to lose): Costs 40 pp, gives you 50 pp worth of gear. Super-movement (swinging), dazzle, stun, protection, buy up the common bat gear powers.
2) Buy off the "Permanent" flaw by spending 1 extra pp/rank for your device. This makes it continuous instead of permanent, which is kinda a hack, but fair for step 3:
3) When you need a spare piece of gear, spend an action point to get a power with some of your device points. It will last until the end of the scene or until you need something else, basically, as per the normal Alternate Power rules.
4) Spend 1 extra point on your devices to make them dynamic, so you can still use most of them while you convert a couple of points into bat shark repellant or whatever you need.

So now bat-gear is a 51 point power which gives you 50pp worth of points that you can reallocate for the rest of the scene by spending a hero point. Less cost-effective than the original Gadgets, but it was probably undercosted to begin with.

Chaldfont

First Post
We have a 1st ed M&M side game going. We call it "The Secondhand Heroes". Its kind of a Mystery Men-like lighthearted satire of superhero comics. The premise is that the Freedom League left to fight The War on Terror leaving Freedom City helpless against their supervillain foes. So a bunch of second-rate superheroes step up to fill the void. We have:

MASS: A nuclear physicist with the power to alter his own density or that of anything he touches after a cyclotron accident. He becomes less intelligent as his density increases. He drives the team around in a nuclear-powered schoolbus after destroying SOCKET's Chevette on a mission.
SOCKET: A teenage comic-book geek who lives in his mother's basement, SOCKET gained the capability to mimic others' super powers after accidently sticking his finger in a light socket. SOCKET frequently uses his limitless comic knowledge to come up with new ways to defeat his enemies. This player frequently gains hero points for coming up with all kinds of crazy comic book titles.
EL CONQUISTADOR: After discovering a sentient alien powersuit in a Mayan temple, EL CONQUISTADOR turned to fighting crime. The only problem--he doesn't know how to use the suit. The player came up with a random table for his powers and rolls every time he wants to use a power. The concept of EC was inspired by "The Greatest American Hero". The powersuit usually looks like a Mexican wrestler's costume.

The Secondhand Heroes have defeated Player 2 (from that excellent book Crooks!) who was trying to steal the first shipment of XStation 3's to sell them early on Ebay. When they met up with him at the warehouse, he beat them soundly with Donkey Kong and Pacman ghosts. They were able to capture him later after going to a comic shop and reading all the video game strategy guides they could get their hands on.

They've also battled really crappy ninjas (EC drove the schoolbus over their leader after MASS incorporealized the car the ninja had jumped on) and a Giant Robot sent to retrieve EC's super suit (which used a junk yard to assemble a jury-rigged mech around itself).

ThoughtBubble

First Post
My Teen-Titans inspired game has the following characters:
Scott: Tech-master of forcing saving throws (armorsuit with multiple firing variations)
Guy: TK/Create object guy (Think Raven in camo)
Chuck: Super Speedster
Goldfire: Starfire imitation. Flying shooter with high str/con from being an alien
Cam: Deflection and striking guy (he has really awesome punches. So much so he can knock bullets out of the air)

Remove ads