Heroes of Horror: Archivist class

Dark Psion

First Post
There are two new core classes in Heroes of Horror; the Dread Necromancer (A necromancer who becomes more undead as he gains levels) and the Archivist.

The Archivist is a Sage-like class with a focus on knowledge and lore, but it does have one strange class ability. He is a Divine spellcaster, but uses a spellbook and it is Intelligence based on spell access and DC, but Wisdom based on Bonus spells. {Edited in}

I have long wanted a class like this, but I had always seen it more as an Arcane caster, but now I was wondering, what if they could cast both types of magic?

I would keep the Arcane spells liked to Intelligence and Divine spells linked to Wisdom, which would require two good stats to have access to high levels in both.
As to bonus spells, they might have to decide when they choose their spells which to focus on today, Arcane or Divine.

Considering how many spells Wizards and Clerics already share and that an Archivist would not gain any more spells than either of them, what do you think of a dual type spellcaster?

Last edited:

kyloss

First Post
Whats the archivists spell list look like? I think the probably went divine just because the whole fighting horrors is traditionaly a divine role were arcane seems to be more using the horror type things,- necromancers, alienists etc... Even though clerecs fill the role better with there abilities particularly on the necromancy side. As far as the dual caster I think they would be better off as one type of caster with some special abilities rather than a dual caster with no abilities ala mystic theurge. If you add special abilities to a dual caster it gets abit overpowered, you might just want to look at adding the appropriate spells to his list of available spells instead. Or just go with a generic class from UA.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dark Psion said:
The Archivist is a Sage-like class with a focus on knowledge and lore, but it does have one strange class ability. He is a Divine spellcaster, but uses a spellbook and it is Intelligence based.

Ah? So the potential's there for a Mystic Theurge with no MAD?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf said:
Ah? So the potential's there for a Mystic Theurge with no MAD?

-Hyp.

Even better.

The Archivist can scribe any divine scroll into his spellbook. Although the class's creator - Mouseferatu - has mentioned that this wasn't his goal, he's allowed in an intriguing "exploit."

Any scroll with a Wizard designated as the creator is, by definition, an Arcane scroll.

Any scroll with a Cleric designated as the creator is, by definition, a Divine scroll.

Therefore, a scroll of a Wizard / Sorceror spell made with a Cleric creator is a Divine scroll.

Therefore, an Archivist may make a Divine spellbook which includes within it every spell in the game.

There was a post on this subject a few weeks back called, I believe, "The Wizard is dead; Long live the Wizard!"

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
There was a post on this subject a few weeks back called, I believe, "The Wizard is dead; Long live the Wizard!"

Yeah, I saw that one :) (The rules oddity that leads to that exploit is one of mine, as far as I know - I don't recall seeing the Arcane scroll of Heal possibility proposed anywhere before I first pointed it out :) )

But I didn't realise at the time that the Archivist is an Int-based caster.

-Hyp.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Yeah, I saw that one :) (The rules oddity that leads to that exploit is one of mine, as far as I know - I don't recall seeing the Arcane scroll of Heal possibility proposed anywhere before I first pointed it out :) )

But I didn't realise at the time that the Archivist is an Int-based caster.

-Hyp.
The Archivist uses both Int and Wisdom, I believe.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bad Paper said:
? What is "MAD?"

Multiple Ability Dependency.

A wizard, for example, needs a good Int. He can benefit from other abilities - Dex and Con, in particular - but he can get by on Int.

A druid needs a good Wis. Everything else is negotiable.

A paladin generally needs a good Str, since they're often frontliners, but also a decent Wis if he wants to cast, and a good Cha if he wants to get the best out of turning and Divine feats and Divine Grace and Lay on Hands.

While you know the wizard is going to boost Int, and the druid is going to boost Wis, the paladin has decisions to make.

A mystic theurge needs a good Wis, and a good Int (or Cha). So while the wizard is buying a +6 Headband, the theurge needs to split his money, and probably has to settle for the +4 Headband and the +4 Periapt. MAD means that neither of his primary abilities will be as high as a more focused character.

-Hyp.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases