Did we blow up Cyre (again)? [Eberron]

Did we cause widespread devastation?

Len

Prodigal Member
It was New Cyre this time. Here's what happened:

At a big celebration in New Cyre, Prince Oargev (formerly of Cyre) announced that there would be an important demonstration of some kind the next day. We knew this meant trouble because standing next to the prince was Patria, current BBEG and the person responsible for destroying (old) Cyre and creating the Mournlands. *

Uh oh.

Long story short, we left New Cyre early the next day to track some goblin assassins back to their camp outside the city. That might sound like a wild goose chase, but frankly I was pleased to be as far as possible from New Cyre when the "demonstration" took place.

We made our way into the goblin dungeon. (You’d be surprised how tough those little guys can be when they’re on their own turf.) At the bottom we found Patria, with a magical obsidian orb that looked just like the broken one we’d found in her laboratory in the Mournlands. The orb's magic was suppressed by an anti-magic field Patria was running, but as soon as she moved away from it the orb starting glowing magically, draining levels, forcing will saves, etc.

So naturally Jan tried to smash it. :eek:

Now you have to understand, our party’s slogan is "WWJD?" ("What Would Jan Do?"). And then we do the opposite, because Int bonus + Wis penalty = Trouble. Unfortunately in this instance Jan had been deafened by a thunderstone so we couldn’t yell at him, "No! Don't unleash the same magical energy that caused the destruction of Cyre!" I actually considered shooting him with an arrow to get his attention, but I figured that whatever hand-gestures I made would be interpreted as "Yes, go ahead and destroy the nuclear artifact."

So Jan smote the nuclear orb, then he T-balled it toward a nearby chasm and Electrika (our chaotic cleric) kicked it in. We heard it shatter at the bottom, and a cold dark mist started to pour out of the chasm.

At the end of the session, Jan and Electrika were on one side of the chasm chasing down Patria and her goblin minions, and the rest of use were running away as fast as possible, carrying Patria's captives. **

We ended the session there, so we don't yet know whether or not we have managed to create a second Mournlands. What do you think?

[size=-2]* She also happens to be my character's aunt.

** The captives include my father and my other aunt. There are lots of family issues in this campaign. The DM is a closet Freudian.[/size]

Last edited:

shaylon

First Post
Sounds like you have some problems there. If you did destroy New Cyre then you should just do it everywhere all over Khorvaire and see what the DM does.

-Shay

Len

Prodigal Member
shaylon said:
Sounds like you have some problems there. If you did destroy New Cyre then you should just do it everywhere all over Khorvaire and see what the DM does.
We don't have many more magical nukes to destroy cities with, but on the other hand we do seem to be pretty good at doing the one thing the DM didn't plan for, forcing him to change the whole adventure on the fly. :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, there's a slight chance that the orb-o-hideous-death wasn't "fully powered", ie it hadn't drained enough levels to be fully operational on a country-destroying scale. Still, New Cyre is probably going to be a warped, undead-filled anathema zone. Just feel fortunate that it wasn't, say, all of Breland.

And I think it's cool that there are games out there that are answering questions left open by the ECS. Just saying, is all.

Demiurge out.

Len

Prodigal Member
demiurge1138 said:
Still, New Cyre is probably going to be a warped, undead-filled anathema zone. Just feel fortunate that it wasn't, say, all of Breland.
Thanks for giving my DM ideas. :mad:
demiurge1138 said:
And I think it's cool that there are games out there that are answering questions left open by the ECS.
Yes, they did a nice job of leaving some blanks while providing hooks to help you fill them in. We now know pretty much of what happened in the Mournlands. :cool:

But I wouldn't be surprised if those questions are answered unequivocally by future publications, if WotC wants to keep up the rate of 4 Eberron splatbooks per year.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Wow. Just be glad though you didn't say unleash a Titan or maybe a Demon Prince. Course this might get the Lords of Dust involved. (They probably were waiting a few more days before unleashing this so they might fix it...I stress mightly the word "MIGHT".)

In any case just be glad you didn't unleash Fraz'uurb'luu or some one else. :) I mean hey you might have just woken up an aspect of Khyber instead. ;)

Woundweaver

Explorer
and the rest of use were running away as fast as possible, carrying Patria's captives

Talon and his trusty cohort Silganus were NOT running away. Talon was repositioning the unconscious captives to a safer location miles away from the incident through the dignified use of magic. Silganus was simply guarding Talon's back. Devora and Rigger on the other hand may have been running away.

BTW Patria is back on Talon's kill list.

Len

Prodigal Member
OK, we'll go with "tactical repositioning". Not so sure about "dignified" though - in my eyes Talon lost a lot of his dignity when he was reincarnated as a halfling. :p

I'm glad to see that there are 3 optimists who think we didn't blow up a piece of the world. :)

(BTW, I seem to recall that Devora was the last to leave.)

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Len said:
I'm glad to see that there are 3 optimists who think we didn't blow up a piece of the world. :)

Hey as long as you didn't turn New Cyre into the next Blood Steppes, I think you're safe. :)

Len

Prodigal Member
Nightfall said:
Hey as long as you didn't turn New Cyre into the next Blood Steppes, I think you're safe. :)
That won't happen as long as a certain player keeps his Scarred Lands books locked in a cupboard.

Remove ads