Songs for a Bard to sing

Stormborn

Explorer
Thinking about playing a Bard and while I have a fairly large mental collection of odd little songs I was recently trying to put together a list of songs that I could sing while roleplaying my bard. Any ideas? We are playing in Eberron but any songs that might work well in a DnD setting would be useful. Particularly folk or filk songs about war, love, drink, fighting, etc.
Bonus points for lyrics or links there to.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
I also love to play bards, and I also have a head stuffed full of songs. But when I'm roleplaying my Bardsong, I will usually compose a hiku between my turns.

This is good because I can make it be about what is actually going on.

As the gentle rain
Our arrows fall upon you
Snuffing out your flame

Giant bug skuttles
The monk quickly jumps aside
EXTERMINATION

fusangite

First Post
Well, the only really successful bard song I've ever seen was in one game where the bard cast Summon Monster I, summoning up the Celestial Badger. He then improvised a group sing-along that consisted almost entirely of the chorus, "Who's got the badger? We've got the badger!"

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Do a google for "ballads" and "folk songs". That should give you tons of material.

In specific songs seach for "Mary O'Meara" and "Lord of the Dance". With the latter you'll want the wiccan hymn and not the dance production.

Sample verse from Mary O'Meara:

Mary O'Meara the stars and the dewfall
Have covered your hilltop with light
The wind in the lilies that blossom around you
Goes bearing your name to the heights
My girl you are all of the night

Sample verse from Lord of the Dance:

I dance in the circle when the flames leap up high
I dance in the fire and I never ever die
I dance in the waves of the bright summer sea
For I am the lord of the wave's mystery.

Good luck.

"Wiccan" hymn?

To Expand:

I've never heard of this song as a Wiccan hymn, given that it was adapted from a Shaker tune (a Christian sect) (which also also found its way into the famous work "Appalachian Spring"), and the "Lord of the Dance" lyrics were writen by a devout Christian.

Odd the way music changes, eh?

Last edited:

MarauderX

Explorer
Cake's "Distance" works well, mostly because, like Cake, you don't have to be able to sing, you can just say the lines in rhythm. Changed some of the lyrics just in case you aren't playing in Eberron (aka d20 modern).

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line,
Horses pumping and thumping in time.
The green flag flashes, the hands go up.
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup.
They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank,
Muscles pounding fast in a move to flank.
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns.
Their prowess is potent and secretly stearn.
As they speed through the finish, the flags go down.
The fans get up and they get out of town.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup.
But he’s driving and striving and hugging the turns.
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

He’s going the distance.
He’s going for speed.
She’s all alone
In her time of need.
Because he’s racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He’s fighting and biting and riding on his horse,
He’s going the distance.

No trophy, no flowers, no light spells, no wine,
He’s haunted by something he cannot define.
Bowel-shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse,
Assail him, impale him with juggernaut force.
In his mind, he’s still driving,still making the grade.
She’s hoping in time that her memories will fade.
Cause he’s racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He’s fighting and biting and riding on his horse.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup.
But he’s striving and driving and hugging the turns.
And thinking of someone for whom he still burns.

Cause he’s going the distance.
He’s going for speed.
She’s all alone
In her time of need.
Because he’s racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He’s racing and pacing and plotting the course,
He’s going the distance.
He’s going for speed.
He’s going the distance.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
"Wiccan" hymn?

To Expand:

I've never heard of this song as a Wiccan hymn, given that it was adapted from a Shaker tune (a Christian sect) (which also also found its way into the famous work "Appalachian Spring"), and the "Lord of the Dance" lyrics were writen by a devout Christian.

Odd the way music changes, eh?

Things do get confused after a couple of decades, don't they? :)

The original version of Lord of the Dance did use an old Christian tune, but the original lyrics were done by a pair of (then) young wiccans. The story of the Christian lyricist is the result of confusion with the writer of the Christian song's lyrics. One thing to note about Wicca is that it'll stalk down dark alleys mugging other religious traditions and rifling their pockets for useful bits. Wicca is a gleefully eclectic religion.

When I first heard Lord of the Dance a new tune had been composed, and it had about 15 verses. Since then literally hundreds of verses had been written. With diligent searching you can find dozens of versions out on the web.

LotD is a celebratory song, an observance of the cycle of the seasons. Written for a polytheistic faith it fits polytheistic worlds wonderfully. Especially one where observances are focused on the cycle of life and the local pantheon has a strong matriarchal leader with a pastorally centered consort. Think Tammuz, Adonis, and The Fisher King in the latter case. One who dies in the Fall and is reborn in the Spring.

Ballads for the balcony, folk songs for the cheap seats. With a bit of showmanship a bard should make a good living.

Rev. Jesse

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
"All Along the Watchtowers" is a very archetypal song. Well, barring the freakishly awesome guitar solo.

Speaking of Bob Dylan, a lot of his songs are pretty easy to sign, if occasionally lyrically complex. They can be pretty easy to adapt. To the tune of Highway 61 Revisited:

"Kas said to Venca, 'Get me a sword....'"

(As an aside, be sure to prep Rainyday Woman Number 12 & 35 before fighting the medusa.)

Other options include filk and sea shanties, both of which are actually intended to be easy to modify and perform by people who have no buisness singing. A simple google search for filk or sea shanties whill bring up plenty of great ideas.

-Jesse

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases