War Domain with Generic Clerics and Pantheonic Clerics.

Ozzytizer

First Post
Perhaps I just keep missing the ruling somewhere, or perhaps I should go read Spiritual Weapon again or something. But for the case of general clerics (following ideals instead of a deity) or in the case found in Deities in Demigods (following the Olympic Pantheon) if a cleric in these situations has access to the War Domain, what then is the favored weapon of his deity? In the pantheon situation, I assume it either must be the weapon of the head deity or a weapon that it says can be used with Spiritual Weapon. But what in the case of a generic cleric or something similar?

I don't know of any official ruling but if I were DMing I would probably rule that no diety means no favored weapon means no Weapon Focus. This may seem kind of harsh, but I see it as not very much of a trade off for getting to mix and match domains and healing/wounding without any restrictions.

Techincally, I suppose they would probably have Weapon Focus ( - ). So I gues they would get the attack bonus every time they attacked with a -. This is also the only case I can think of where a character is proficient with -.

darthkilmor

First Post
Ozzytizer said:
Perhaps I just keep missing the ruling somewhere, or perhaps I should go read Spiritual Weapon again or something. But for the case of general clerics (following ideals instead of a deity) or in the case found in Deities in Demigods (following the Olympic Pantheon) if a cleric in these situations has access to the War Domain, what then is the favored weapon of his deity? In the pantheon situation, I assume it either must be the weapon of the head deity or a weapon that it says can be used with Spiritual Weapon. But what in the case of a generic cleric or something similar?

well spiritual weapon says:

SRD said:
A cleric without a deity gets a weapon based on his alignment. A neutral cleric without a deity can create a spiritual weapon of any alignment, provided he is acting at least generally in accord with that alignment at the time. The weapons associated with each alignment are as follows.

Chaos
Battleaxe

Evil
Flail

Good
Warhammer

Law
Longsword

So just go with that for war domain, prolly closest thing to RAW you'll get.

Ozzytizer

First Post
Yeah, actually I finally found that paragraph of SW.... it was on another page in the book I have... doh. So that definitely answers that question, I still wonder about the Pantheon issue, but I am assuming that I would just have to see what the DM says, or as DM make a judgment on it. Thanks for the input.

UmbraLux

First Post
For a cleric worshipping the pantheon, I'd say the weapon would be the favored weapon of the wargod in the pantheon. It's his domain after all. :)

But as far as I know, there isn't an official ruling so your DM will need to decide.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
If I allowed Clerics with no specific Deity, and I allowed them access to the War domain, I'd allow them to pick any weapon they were already proficient with -- most Clerics would have access to just Simple weapons, but Elves would get Bows or Longswords, and a Cleirc who was previously a Fighter would have lots of choices.

-- N

Patlin

Explorer
The Eberron campaign setting lists favored weapons for pantheons as well as individual gods. I was just looking at the sovereign host, and it said that the favored weapon of the pantheon is the longsword, which is also the weapon of the most martial diety.

saucercrab

Explorer
UmbraLux said:
For a cleric worshipping the pantheon, I'd say the weapon would be the favored weapon of the wargod in the pantheon. It's his domain after all. :)
That's how I'd do it. And like Patlin said, that's how the Sovereign Host does it (& it even mentions in the ECS that that is why it does it like that).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases