Legacy of the Green Regent

I was reading about LotGR on Wizards site and it sounds very interesting. Is here anyone here who has played/gm'd it? What are your thoughts on it?

Does anyone know if it will be available as a commercial product at a later date? If not, is there a way for me to obtain the whole campaign by joining the RPGA (I'm supposing membership is required)?

StupidSmurf

First Post
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
I was reading about LotGR on Wizards site and it sounds very interesting. Is here anyone here who has played/gm'd it? What are your thoughts on it?

Does anyone know if it will be available as a commercial product at a later date? If not, is there a way for me to obtain the whole campaign by joining the RPGA (I'm supposing membership is required)?

I have no idea, but I will say this: I swear I saw your mouth move. :)

kenobi65

First Post
Exquisite Dead Guy said:

I play a lot of RPGA campaigns, but I never played LotGR, because most of my RPGA play is done online, and they specifically banned LotGR from online play.

I think it was an interesting idea, in theory, but it suffered from poor execution. They had this idea of having only a small number of modules available at any one time, and fairly short availablility windows for them (a couple of months). (This is compared to Living Greyhawk, which has dozens of modules available, and each module is available for several years).

The problem they ran into was that they were frequently tardy in getting these modules uploaded into the system. Frequently, if you'd go to order an LotGR module to run for your group, you'd find that there were NO modules currently available.

The other problem they ran into was with the "level bumps." At predetermined intervals, they'd ratchet the campaign forward, and automatically advance all the PCs to a particular level. But, they were often late in getting those level bumps implemented, too...I recall that there was a bump that was supposed to go into effect right before GenCon Indy in 2004. Of course, it was late, and they didn't get it into the system until the day before the convention. (This is problematic because LotGR PCs were all maintained on the RPGA computer system...if the system didn't say you were 10th level, you *weren't*.) They actually had the gall to tell players who were going to be playing LotGR at GenCon that they should, once they got to Indy, go to an internet cafe and download their updated PCs there.

The campaign was supposed to have wrapped up at GenCon this past August, but, not surprisingly, the finale modules weren't ready! Allegedly, they're going to do the finale at Winter Fantasy in February, but it's been in a sort of limbo for months now.

Exquisite Dead Guy said:
Does anyone know if it will be available as a commercial product at a later date?

Possible, but I'm not sure I'd count on it. As a rule, RPGA has shown little or no interest in redistributing any of their campaigns in this way (and, RPGA's contracts with their authors have often not given RPGA any republishing rights, anyway).

Exquisite Dead Guy said:
If not, is there a way for me to obtain the whole campaign by joining the RPGA (I'm supposing membership is required)?

Not by becoming a member, no.

Members are only allowed to order / download "active" modules; at this point, for LotGR, only modules #21 and 22 are active and available to be ordered. (And, when you order a module from the RPGA, you have to indicate the date on which you plan to run the module, and you need to report afterwards that it's actually been played, and by who. If you keep ordering modules and not reporting results, eventually, they stop you from ordering any more.)

Also, when you order modules from the RPGA, you're given a link to download the PDF of the module (not a hard copy), and, further, redistributing the modules for purposes beyond official RPGA play is against the rules.

However, many (I'm not at all sure if it's "all") of the LotGR modules were printed up in hard-copy form and distributed to game stores as part of the "Retailer Packs" that WotC regularly sends out (undoubtedly, with the intent that the stores would run the adventures for patrons). You can sometimes find these for sale on eBay.

IronWolf

blank
kenobi65 sums it up pretty well, but I will add a few random thoughts. They completely dropped the ball on executing this. There was a fair amount of excitement over this one but by the end it has left everyone completely frustrated with the whole thing.

I started playing at GenCon 2004 which should have been the halfway point for the two year campaign. It quickly became obvious that few cared at the RPGA about this campaign anymore (perhaps they were overworked, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating). The modules I played in were most often lethal, some almost unfairly so.

In one I DM'ed the module left much to be desired. Lots of errors, little editing, etc.

To top it off the finale was supposed to be at GenCon this year. They couldn't even get that right. And not only didn't they get it right there was only one module to be played at GenCon (they had two at Origins).

It was a disappointment. I would steer as far away from this campaign as possible. Most likely when the finale is release we will wait for the home play download to be made available and beg Crothian to run it for us, just so we can have closure. ;)

kenobi65

First Post
IronWolf said:
They completely dropped the ball on executing this. There was a fair amount of excitement over this one but by the end it has left everyone completely frustrated with the whole thing.

Even sadder is that the RPGA's newest campaign, Mark of Heroes, uses the same format as LotGR, and seems to be suffering from a lot of the same problems. They just seem to be incapable of getting modules up and ready on a timely basis. :(

IronWolf

blank
kenobi65 said:
Even sadder is that the RPGA's newest campaign, Mark of Heroes, uses the same format as LotGR, and seems to be suffering from a lot of the same problems. They just seem to be incapable of getting modules up and ready on a timely basis. :(

It's too bad the same thing is happening there as well. I know as those of us playing LotGR thought maybe we were being ignored as they ramped up for Mark of Heroes - I guess that wasn't true if they are suffering the same things in regards to module release.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases