Building Maps (formerly 'chapel map')

Kris

Adventurer
Hello all,

Once again I've been drawing some maps for use in my campaign... and once again I thought I post them here (just in case anyone else can get some use out of them) :)

The one I've been working on today is a simple 'village chapel' dedicated to Pelor... here's the link...

http://www.enworld.org/CrookedStaffProductions/chapelmap.jpg

I think I've used the correct terms for the different areas - though please correct me if I've got anything wrong, and I'll update the map accordingly.

Anyway, I hope you like it (and that it is of use to someone) :)

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Nice stuff! Just a recommendation, though--in Complete Divine, they give advice on temples of Pelor. One of the ones I liked the most was that they have lots of windows, or sources of natural light.

Kris

Adventurer
Glad you like it :)

Yeah... I haven't really shown any windows on any of the maps I've drawn (maybe I should have though :) ), but I'd assume a place like this would have a few upon each side (maybe one in-between each of the black 'semicircles' on the left and right walls).

Anyway... I've been working on a few more maps today... and here's one I've finished... a tiny little tavern (and a stable to go with it)...

http://www.enworld.org/CrookedStaffProductions/tavernandstablemap.jpg

orbitalfreak

First Post
One nitpick.
The first one should have one of the labels changed to altAr.
Unless it's a not to change the prayer-block in the future. ;)

Looks good, though.

Kris

Adventurer
The first one should have one of the labels changed to altAr
Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.... damn my poor spelling :)

Anyway I've just finished altEring the word altAr... so (hopefully) it should be right now (thanks for pointing it out :D ).

What program do use use to make these?
All the basic map details (i.e. all the walls & furniture etc.) I have drawn in some software called Greenstreet Draw 4 (is a really, really, basic bit of 'vector graphics software' like 'Adobe Illustrator' - but at only a fraction of the cost - and has only a fraction of the features :D ). The parchment effect was added later in photoshop.

Hopefully by the end of the night I'll also post a map of a village/town hall. (I guess I should state that all these maps are copyright © 2005 Kristian Richards .... just to be on the safe side :) ).

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Kris said:
All the basic map details (i.e. all the walls & furniture etc.) I have drawn in some software called Greenstreet Draw 4 (is a really, really, basic bit of 'vector graphics software' like 'Adobe Illustrator' - but at only a fraction of the cost - and has only a fraction of the features :D ). The parchment effect was added later in photoshop.
How much do these programs cost? Would you be willing to give a tutorial on how to make one of these maps?

Kris

Adventurer
Hello again - sorry for the late reply (I've been a bit under the weather recently)...

Anyway... I got 'Greenstreet Draw 4' a few years ago... and back then I think it cost somewhere around £25. Like I said before, it's basically a poor-man's version of something like 'adobe illustrator' - but it's served me well in the past.

And the other piece of software (photoshop) can be a bit expensive I'm afraid. I myself am using an older version than what's currently available (mine is adobe photoshop 7) - and I think even this outdated version still goes for over £200 :(

To be honest with you, when I first got it I didn't think it was worth the money, but I keep finding new things to do with it all the time - and I gotta say... now I love it :)

And with regard to a tutorial...

...I'd be glad to show everyone a few rough steps on how I create these kind of images - or point you in the direction of other tutorials that have inspired me (for example the whole parchment effect was loosely based on a tutorial posted on these boards by hellhound).

:D

Remove ads