Castles & Crusades: Player's Handbook

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I was excited about this book, but I obviously wasn't paying very close attention to the details. I was under the impression that Gary Gygax either wrote or helped to develop it, but when I scanned the author/developer credits, all I saw was a dedication.

At $20, this thin hardback isn't overpriced. But I was concerned by the layout. The text comes too close to the inside margin, making it hard to read. Also, there seems to be very little artwork in the book.

I might still buy it. I only glanced through it at the store.

Can anyone sell me on this product, or perhaps give me some more details?

If I have all my 1st edition AD&D books, why should I buy Castles & Crusades?

Thanks!

-e

danbuter

First Post
w_earle_wheeler said:
I was excited about this book, but I obviously wasn't paying very close attention to the details. I was under the impression that Gary Gygax either wrote or helped to develop it, but when I scanned the author/developer credits, all I saw was a dedication.

At $20, this thin hardback isn't overpriced. But I was concerned by the layout. The text comes too close to the inside margin, making it hard to read. Also, there seems to be very little artwork in the book.

Thanks!

-e

There is a second printing being made. It will add some new material, as well as clean up the layout and errata. Check the Troll Lords website for pre-order info. It should be out around mid-December.

The Shaman

First Post
w_earle_wheeler said:
First, because contrary to the tag on your post, it is in fact a d20 game, and the unified mechanic makes task resolution easier, without consulting charts for answers.

Second, because the ranger is better in C&C than in 1e AD&D. (IMHO, OC.)

skinnydwarf

Explorer
w_earle_wheeler said:

Thanks!

-e

While Gary wasn't involved with making the rules, he *is* involved with making a big campaign for it. The "Castle Zagyg" series will be made under C&C rules. From what I understand, Castle Zagyg is essentially Castle Greyhawk, it's just they can't call it that because of copyright issues. It will be made using all of Gary's old notes and maps and such. I picked up the first volume a couple weeks ago, "Yggsburgh," and it's really cool. I haven't had a whole lot of time to read it yet (school has been keeping me busy), but what I have seen is great. Lots of cool ideas in there.

As to the layout and lack of art: That is what keeps the book priced at $20.

If you have your 1st edition AD&D books, you can run a 1e game, but C&C is not 1e. It's essentially a simplified version of the 3e rules; the designers were trying to get back to a 1e feel while keeping some of the advantages of 3e (like a unified mechanic, higher is always better, etc.). In C&C the DM has a whole lot more leeway than in 3e- there are a lot of things left up to the DM's judgment. It's a simpler game. I ran a short campaign with it, and it was pretty fun, but I'm not sure if I'm going to convert totally to this system. I'm going to run a one shot over turkey day weekend, we'll see how that goes. Maybe I'll run C&C every so often.

Bah, who am I kidding? I don't have time to run anything. I need to get back studying... :p

[edit to add]: Shaman: I don't think C&C is d20. It is made under the OGL, just not the d20 trademark, since it isn't really compatible with 3e.

The Shaman

First Post
skinnydwarf said:
[edit to add]: Shaman: I don't think C&C is d20. It is made under the OGL, just not the d20 trademark, since it isn't really compatible with 3e.
You're right - I wasn't thinking of it in license terms, but rather the task resolution mechanic.

ghul

Explorer
I bought the the Castles & Crusades Players Handbook and the Castles & Crusades Monsters and Treasure about two months ago. I've had a 25 year relationship with D&D and I've been running it through every edition they have published from the red box to present. I became somewhat dissillusioned with the system for the first time this past year or so after being faithful for so many years. On a whim, I picked up those two Troll Lords volumes and started to read and study them. I fell in love! It is one of the finest systems I have ever seen, and I've with many of them over the years. I haven't begun to run C&C yet, because I've been developing my Castle Zagyg campaign, which is being authored by Gygax and Kuntz. Some folks may have heard of these blokes.

I don't take switching systems lightly. I never anticipated that I would! I have volumes and volumes of 3.0/3.5 hardcovers that will soon have no place in my game. I've been a student of all D&D's incarnations and I've supported them each and all. For the first time, I have more problems with the system than I am willing to deal with, and C&C is my ultimate solution.

My advice?

Buy the second printing C&C PHB. Read it. The flavor and charm of it, coupled with a more playable mechanic will soon grow on you. It is worth the price of admission.

--Ghul

radferth

First Post
I've got it and like it. My guess is that you could run the C&C modules with 1st ed D&D rules just fine, but the C&C rules (wait for 2nd ed if you don't already have them) are easily worth $20. The M&T is good as well, but you could use first edition monsters with very little problem if you were so inclined. Odds are you'll want it anyway after you get the PHB.

I'm definitely looking forward to the second printing of the PHB.

I've had no trouble converting from either past or present editions of (A)D&D into C&C. One of the big selling points of C&C was that it made it much easier to use all those previous edition products.

Remove ads