Growth Spells & Druids

A question came up and I'm not sure how to rule.

Can wild-shaped druid gain the benefits of an Animal Growth spell?

If not, I am assuming it's because they are not techincally animals. Would they then be able to gain the benefits of an Enlarge Person spell while in animal form?

Thanks!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Druids, when wildshaped are technically animals. They gain the Animal type and are therefore a valid target for Animal Growth. The debate comes into play when, say, a medium druid wildshapes into a Large animal. Some people view this as a magical effect which increases your size and therefore does not stack with animal growth per the line: "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack." However, there's nothing that explicitly defines wildshaping into a differently sized form as increasing size, so therefore, it's perfectly acceptable.

Dimwhit

Explorer
There are a number of Druid spells that target 'animals.' They were more or less the same in 3.0 as they are in 3.5. The Druid taking the 'animal' type when wildshaping is new to 3.5, so I have to think it was on purpose to allow it. Unless they changed the Polymorph rules without thinking of Druids, which would seem to be an extreme oversight. I think it's on purpose. Not that Druids needed any more power.

And, for the record, I agree with Infinity2000's points.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases