Music Metalheads! Confess & Brag

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Ogremoch, Elemental Prince of Evil (Lvl 23)

° Ignore Dannyalcatraz

Metalheads! Confess & Brag

OK...

I love hard rock and metal, but its not all I like, so my music collection is somewhat...vast & odd. Still, the majority of my collection is hard rock & metal, so I call myself a metalhead.

However- I have noted that almost every metalhead of my acquaintence has something in their collection that is, how shall I put it...less than metal. Some guilty pleasure of some sort.

Example- the guy who turned me on to Motorhead was also a big fan of Winger. In retrospect, I can kinda respect that, since Kip Winger is actually a fantastic musician. He was a studio musician for years before forming his band, and he's still a hired gun in high demand today. Say what you want, the man has mad bass skilzzzz. (Ok, he's not Flea, Geddy, Hamm or Claypool, but still...)

Also, I noticed that because metal is somewhat of an underground genre, even today, most Metalheads have some pretty obscure stuff in their collections as well.

So, this is the place to confess your guilty musical pleasures and brag about your obscure finds, your (King) diamonds in the rough...but there is one rule:

You can only brag if you first confess!

Confession: I must confess I also have a complete collection of Europe and Nitro. Slaughter is on my shelf. Bang Tango...Bulletboys. Vain! Vinnie Vincent Invasion! Did I mention EUROPE?

Brag: Despite the above, I also have a collection of hard rock ranging from Alcatrazz to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Godflesh, Helmet, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Living Colour, Malmsteen, Motorhead, Primus, Queensryche, Rainbow, Satriani, Vandenburg, Whitesnake & Zebra. I also have a complete collection of Budgie & Kyuss, as well as albums by shredders like Jennifer Batten, Chris Impelliteri, Helios Creed & Ronnie Montrose... Most of Bruce Dickenson's solo work. Dio's work with Elf. Trust. Slayer. Soulfly. Rage Against the Machine. Alter Bridge. Ozzy. Van Halen. Audioslave. Soundgarden. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains. Green River.

and so, so many more quality bands...
    IAAL...and an MBA. No, really!
    Metal School Founder; Campaign Ideas; my 3.X Databases: The Monk, The Martial Arcanist, Aquatic Ideas, The Psychonomicon

Scout (Lvl 6)

° Ignore FickleGM
    I secretly sing along with .................................................. ....... Bon Jovi songs

I know, I know *must scrub the unclean off of me*

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore diaglo
    i went to elementary, middle, high school and college with the drummer from Iron Christ. we formed a band when we were kids too. called Mangled Baby Ducks during our Punk phase. i played the kazoo and sang.

he also played D&D in the campaign i refereed.

he is iirc now with El Gotten.
    Story Hour
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647
    OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner
    Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge
    I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook
    I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls
    you happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher--noted rpg author Darrin Drader

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore GlassJaw
    I'm definitely into heavy music but I wouldn't consider myself a "metalhead". I'm not really into many of the 80's metal bands. I listen to some of them once in a while (like Maiden) but that's not my standard listening.

I'm into a lot of the newer metal bands. One of my favorite bands right now is Avenged Sevenfold. Heavy but man, those guys are great songwriters and it's some of the best guitarwork I've heard in a while.

Some other bands I've been listening to lately: The Haunted, Soilwork (both from Sweden), Callenish Circle, Taproot, Demon Hunter.
    TRAILBLAZER from Bad Axe Games
    New Horizons in 3.5 Roleplaying
    Now available IN PRINT from Amazon.com!

Trailblazer monster book - coming soon!
    Patrons of the Monstrous Arts
    Join the discussion here!

Confession: Cinderella, Night Songs. I love "Shake Me." Also the Scorpions album Savage Amusement. I can explain this one. Really. When I was about 14 I saw the video for "Rhythm of Love." If you remember this video, with the woman who unzips her bodysuit, you know what I'm talking about. I didn't buy the album -- my hormones did. OK, commense mockery.

Bragging: AC/DC, Accept, Aerosmith, Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Apocalyptica (heavy wood), Armored Saint, Black Sabbath, The Cult, Danzig, (early) Def Leppard, Dio, Faith No More, Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Iggy Pop (not strictly metal), Infectious Grooves, Iron Maiden, John Paul Jones (solo), Judas Priest, KISS, Led Zepplin, Living Colour, Megadeth, Metallica, Meshuggah, M÷tley CrŘe, Mot÷rhead, Ozzy, Pantera, Queensryche, Quiet Riot (Sarzo's bass work is great), Rush, Satriani, Billy Sheehan, Spinal Tap (of course!), Tesla, Thin Lizzy, Twisted Sister, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Y&T.

Some of these have been lost over the years to moves, or disintegrating cassettes/vinyl (remember those?), or loans, etc. But the core stuff is still there. And still played loudly, often.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyAlcatraz
    Bang Tango
    Wow. OK, I'm impressed. Or stunned, whichever. Both.

Ta da!

Warrior Poet

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Dingleberry
    I certainly don't qualify as a metalhead, but I do have one GNR-related brag: the wall of my 10-month old son's jungle-themed nursery has "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE - WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES" spelled out in cheery colorful letters.
    "You're human?"
    "Barely. I'm a lawyer."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore DungeonmasterCal
    I'm a much larger fan of heavy rock and metal than I am any other genre, but I will confess to owning releases from Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, and Dwight Yoakum among my album/cd collection. Dig around, and you'll also find Prince, Morris Day & the Time, and an Air Supply lp (a gift from a high school friend...I swear I didn't pay for it).

I own about 90% of the Iron Maiden discography, including a picture disc LP with their version of "Cross Eyed Mary" on it. I own Judas Priest's very first LP, "Rocka Rolla" (an album even they're not proud of). Motorhead's "No Remorse" collection in the leather album cover. Lots of WASP. Lots of KISS. Lots of Manowar. Lots of Saxon and Judas Priest. AC/DC. Nazareth. Aerosmith. Even a Bon Jovi LP or two. Some less well known and less than stellar 80's heavy rock releases include Rock Goddess, Icon, Heavy Pettin, Mama's Boys, Black 'n' Blue, Coroner (which thankfully gave us Les Claypool), and Dr. Mastermind.

This is just a sampling. I have nearly 700 lp's, but only a fraction of that in cd's. After 1991, I lost interest in music to a large degree. It's only been in the last couple years I've begun to listen to very much music again.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><>
    "Dad, I love you. But I'm not sure if it's because you're my dad or if it's Stockholm Syndrome." --my son at 12 years old.

Quote of the night last game session: "Want to come to my prepaid hotel room? Bouncy bouncy!" October 25th, 2008

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Darth Shoju
    Well, not sure if I can be classified as a metal head, as my top three favourite bands are the Beatles, Metallica and the Rolling Stones. But here are the metal/hardcore/heavy rock bands I listen to:

(not in any particular order): Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, System of a Down, Tool, Godsmack, Sepulchura/Soulfly, Danzig, the Misfits, Opeth (a friend just turned me on to them lately), Ozzy, Malmsteen, A Perfect Circle, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave (Chris Cornell in general really), Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots (yes I was into grunge), G 'n R, Korn, NIN, Deftones, Ramstein, Pantera, Linkin Park.

I also listen to a LOT of non-metal, but I don't consider most of those bands a *guilty* pleasure: Oldies like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, BTO, the Guess Who, Jimi Hendrix, CCR; Punk like The Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys the Ramones, Bad Religion, Gob, the Clash, Pennywise, and other bands like Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, BB King, etc. Those that I *would* consider a guilty pleasure:

Journey, Kansas, Black Eyed Peas, Abba, Bon Jovi, Weird Al Yankovick Creed and bands that do covers of video game music (hell, video game music itself...).
    [Eadric]: Your lack of moral responsibility concerns me.
    [Mostin]: A surfeit of it would concern me more. I abide by certain axioms Eadric, which you cannot hope to comprehend. You can rest assured that within your own framework, I am completely mad.
    [Eadric]: And within yours?
    [Mostin]: I am utterly pedestrian. There are things far madder than I.

-The Chronicles of Wyre

I don't know if I qualify as a metalhead exactly, but rock in it's various forms is definitely my favourite, although I like lots of other stuff too. My favourite band of all time is The Smashing Pumpkins.

Non-rock in my collection includes Dido, Norah Jones, Eminem, Blur, Sleeper and a near complete collection of A-ha CDs.

Rock/metal includes the usual stuff: Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Therapy?, Sepultura, Faith No More, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Sugar...

Nothing particularly obscure now, AFAIK, but I used to have 'Teeth Like Sheep' by The Blue Smarties. Unfortunately, the tape gopt chewed up and I haven't been able to replace it.

glass.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Reveille
    Does Quiet Riot count?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Eternalknight
    I own all albums by: KISS, Manowar, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard.

Several albums by: Guns n Roses, Poison, Metallica, Aerosmith, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Rob Zombie, AC/DC.
    Author of QUERP, Fabled Lands RPG, and Chronicles of Arax

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

° Ignore Eternalknight
    Forgot a couple: The Darkness and Jet.
    Author of QUERP, Fabled Lands RPG, and Chronicles of Arax

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Hobo
    I have to confess that...

...actually I'm not really a metalhead at all. Most of the music that your stereotypical D&D player listens to? I'm not really that familiar with it, nor, when I do hear it, do I have any interest in it. I do like a lot of really older hard stuff, like Land of Rape and Honey era Ministry, or Suicidal Tendencies, or whatnot. But the "metal" I like most is cheesy 80s hair bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, Ratt, etc.

Rather, in the later 80s I abandoned a burgeoning career as a metalhead and became a New Wave fan. It all started with the more pop acts like A-ha and Duran Duran (I have close to complete collections of both) but when Depeche Mode came to my attention, I was completely converted.

I did wander into harder stuff; much of my favorite music is industrial, or at least borderline industrial futurepop and whatnot. One music critic called some of my recent favorite bands as "Depeche Mode with teeth." But nobody's gonna be calling that metal anytime soon.

Can I brag that I had a CD copy of Visage's original eponymous album long before the re-release in the early 90s? That was certainly the hardest thing to get ahold of that I owned.
    Last edited by Joshua Dyal; Wednesday, 16th November, 2005 at 06:10 PM.

"I realize that I am generalizing here, but, as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care." Dave Barry

Confession... okay, so I actually like Maroon 5. Shoot me in the face.

I'm more a prog rock kiddie than a metalhead. Queensryche is definitely up there... Yes, Dream Theater, King Crimson, Liquid Tension Experiment, and Spock's Beard all find numerous songs in rotation. I adore Smashing Pumpkins and Foo Fighters is one of my favorite bands. I've got some A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, Godsmack, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Goo Goo Dolls, Skynyrd, Clash, Modest Mouse, Queens of the Stone Age, The Killers, and White Stripes on my playlist right now. On the lighter side I have some Ben Folds, some Simon and Garfunkel, some Toad the Wet Sprocket, some Wierd Al, as well as a couple of Irish rock bands, The Drovers and Quagmyre. Oh, and some Mahler. And the Kill Bill Vol. 1 soundtrack. And Maroon 5.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore MrFilthyIke
    I'm mostly a metalhead...but with other music. I consider myself a metalhead though.
    That dot com thing is killing inspirational speech. 'I have a dream.
    For more on my dream, go to martinlutherking.org/mountaintop.'
    - John Stewart

Oh angry mob, is there any problem your wisdom and torches can't solve?
    - John Stewart

My confession:

I have all of Michael Bolton's CDs.

My boast:

I have all of Quiet Riot's CDs.

(Or do I have those mixed up? )

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dyal
    I have to confess that...

...actually I'm not really a metalhead at all. Most of the music that your stereotypical D&D player listens to? I'm not really that familiar with it, nor, when I do hear it, do I have any interest in it. I do like a lot of really older hard stuff, like Land of Rape and Honey era Ministry, or Suicidal Tendencies, or whatnot. But the "metal" I like most is cheesy 80s hair bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, Quiet Riot, Ratt, etc.
    Hey, show some respect, son! Def Leppard and Van Halen are good friggin' bands.

Quiet Riot, Ratt . . . one hit wonders.

Ogremoch, Elemental Prince of Evil (Lvl 23)

° Ignore Dannyalcatraz
    Chainsaw Mage

My confession:

I have all of Michael Bolton's CDs.
    ALL of his CDs?

Even his early work in hard rock as the lead singer of Blackjack...with guitarist Bruce Kulick of KISS fame?
    IAAL...and an MBA. No, really!
    Metal School Founder; Campaign Ideas; my 3.X Databases: The Monk, The Martial Arcanist, Aquatic Ideas, The Psychonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Mage
    I have all of Michael Bolton's CDs
    [Office Space] "Why should I have to change my name? He's the one that sucks!" [/Office Space]

And I thought Bang Tango was this thread's winner. Well, maybe it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Mage
    One hit wonders
    Hey, Riot had TWO hits. Sure, "Cum On Feel The Noize" was a remake, but it was a hit, and Metal Health was original (and what a bass line!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
    with guitarist Bruce Kulick of KISS fame?
    Great guitarist. What's Bruce been up to lately?

Rokken with Dokken,

Warrior Poet

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior Poet
    Hey, Riot had TWO hits. Sure, "Cum On Feel The Noize" was a remake, but it was a hit, and Metal Health was original (and what a bass line!).
    And let's not forget "The Wild and the Young" which had one of my favorite music videos: in post-apocalyptic Nazi future America, "the man" is trying to keep us from rockin'.

"I realize that I am generalizing here, but, as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care." Dave Barry

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast