Metalheads! Confess & Brag

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OK...

I love hard rock and metal, but its not all I like, so my music collection is somewhat...vast & odd. Still, the majority of my collection is hard rock & metal, so I call myself a metalhead.

However- I have noted that almost every metalhead of my acquaintence has something in their collection that is, how shall I put it...less than metal. Some guilty pleasure of some sort.

Example- the guy who turned me on to Motorhead was also a big fan of Winger. In retrospect, I can kinda respect that, since Kip Winger is actually a fantastic musician. He was a studio musician for years before forming his band, and he's still a hired gun in high demand today. Say what you want, the man has mad bass skilzzzz. (Ok, he's not Flea, Geddy, Hamm or Claypool, but still...)

Also, I noticed that because metal is somewhat of an underground genre, even today, most Metalheads have some pretty obscure stuff in their collections as well.

So, this is the place to confess your guilty musical pleasures and brag about your obscure finds, your (King) diamonds in the rough...but there is one rule:

You can only brag if you first confess!

Confession: I must confess I also have a complete collection of Europe and Nitro. Slaughter is on my shelf. Bang Tango...Bulletboys. Vain! Vinnie Vincent Invasion! Did I mention EUROPE?

Brag: Despite the above, I also have a collection of hard rock ranging from Alcatrazz to Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Godflesh, Helmet, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Led Zeppelin, Living Colour, Malmsteen, Motorhead, Primus, Queensryche, Rainbow, Satriani, Vandenburg, Whitesnake & Zebra. I also have a complete collection of Budgie & Kyuss, as well as albums by shredders like Jennifer Batten, Chris Impelliteri, Helios Creed & Ronnie Montrose... Most of Bruce Dickenson's solo work. Dio's work with Elf. Trust. Slayer. Soulfly. Rage Against the Machine. Alter Bridge. Ozzy. Van Halen. Audioslave. Soundgarden. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Pearl Jam. Alice in Chains. Green River.

and so, so many more quality bands...

FickleGM

Explorer
:eek: I secretly sing along with ......................................................... Bon Jovi songs :eek:

I know, I know *must scrub the unclean off of me*

diaglo

Adventurer
i went to elementary, middle, high school and college with the drummer from Iron Christ. we formed a band when we were kids too. called Mangled Baby Ducks during our Punk phase. i played the kazoo and sang. :heh:

he also played D&D in the campaign i refereed.

he is iirc now with El Gotten.

GlassJaw

Hero
I'm definitely into heavy music but I wouldn't consider myself a "metalhead". I'm not really into many of the 80's metal bands. I listen to some of them once in a while (like Maiden) but that's not my standard listening.

I'm into a lot of the newer metal bands. One of my favorite bands right now is Avenged Sevenfold. Heavy but man, those guys are great songwriters and it's some of the best guitarwork I've heard in a while.

Some other bands I've been listening to lately: The Haunted, Soilwork (both from Sweden), Callenish Circle, Taproot, Demon Hunter.

Warrior Poet

Explorer
Confession: Cinderella, Night Songs. I love "Shake Me." Also the Scorpions album Savage Amusement. I can explain this one. Really. When I was about 14 I saw the video for "Rhythm of Love." If you remember this video, with the woman who unzips her bodysuit, you know what I'm talking about. I didn't buy the album -- my hormones did. OK, commense mockery.

Bragging: AC/DC, Accept, Aerosmith, Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Apocalyptica (heavy wood), Armored Saint, Black Sabbath, The Cult, Danzig, (early) Def Leppard, Dio, Faith No More, Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Iggy Pop (not strictly metal), Infectious Grooves, Iron Maiden, John Paul Jones (solo), Judas Priest, KISS, Led Zepplin, Living Colour, Megadeth, Metallica, Meshuggah, Mötley Crüe, Motörhead, Ozzy, Pantera, Queensryche, Quiet Riot (Sarzo's bass work is great), Rush, Satriani, Billy Sheehan, Spinal Tap (of course!), Tesla, Thin Lizzy, Twisted Sister, Steve Vai, Van Halen, Y&T.

Some of these have been lost over the years to moves, or disintegrating cassettes/vinyl (remember those?), or loans, etc. But the core stuff is still there. And still played loudly, often.

DannyAlcatraz said:
Bang Tango
Wow. OK, I'm impressed. Or stunned, whichever. Both.

Ta da!

Warrior Poet

Dingleberry

First Post
I certainly don't qualify as a metalhead, but I do have one GNR-related brag: the wall of my 10-month old son's jungle-themed nursery has "WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE - WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES" spelled out in cheery colorful letters.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I'm a much larger fan of heavy rock and metal than I am any other genre, but I will confess to owning releases from Merle Haggard, Lyle Lovett, and Dwight Yoakum among my album/cd collection. Dig around, and you'll also find Prince, Morris Day & the Time, and an Air Supply lp (a gift from a high school friend...I swear I didn't pay for it).

I own about 90% of the Iron Maiden discography, including a picture disc LP with their version of "Cross Eyed Mary" on it. I own Judas Priest's very first LP, "Rocka Rolla" (an album even they're not proud of). Motorhead's "No Remorse" collection in the leather album cover. Lots of WASP. Lots of KISS. Lots of Manowar. Lots of Saxon and Judas Priest. AC/DC. Nazareth. Aerosmith. Even a Bon Jovi LP or two. Some less well known and less than stellar 80's heavy rock releases include Rock Goddess, Icon, Heavy Pettin, Mama's Boys, Black 'n' Blue, Coroner (which thankfully gave us Les Claypool), and Dr. Mastermind.

This is just a sampling. I have nearly 700 lp's, but only a fraction of that in cd's. After 1991, I lost interest in music to a large degree. It's only been in the last couple years I've begun to listen to very much music again.

Darth Shoju

First Post
Well, not sure if I can be classified as a metal head, as my top three favourite bands are the Beatles, Metallica and the Rolling Stones. But here are the metal/hardcore/heavy rock bands I listen to:

(not in any particular order): Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, System of a Down, Tool, Godsmack, Sepulchura/Soulfly, Danzig, the Misfits, Opeth (a friend just turned me on to them lately), Ozzy, Malmsteen, A Perfect Circle, AC/DC, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Audioslave (Chris Cornell in general really), Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots (yes I was into grunge), G 'n R, Korn, NIN, Deftones, Ramstein, Pantera, Linkin Park.

I also listen to a LOT of non-metal, but I don't consider most of those bands a *guilty* pleasure: Oldies like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Beach Boys, BTO, the Guess Who, Jimi Hendrix, CCR; Punk like The Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys the Ramones, Bad Religion, Gob, the Clash, Pennywise, and other bands like Blue Rodeo, The Tragically Hip, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, Bob Marley, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, BB King, etc. Those that I *would* consider a guilty pleasure:

Journey, Kansas, Black Eyed Peas, Abba, Bon Jovi, Weird Al Yankovick Creed and bands that do covers of video game music (hell, video game music itself...).

glass

(he, him)
I don't know if I qualify as a metalhead exactly, but rock in it's various forms is definitely my favourite, although I like lots of other stuff too. My favourite band of all time is The Smashing Pumpkins.

Non-rock in my collection includes Dido, Norah Jones, Eminem, Blur, Sleeper and a near complete collection of A-ha CDs.

Rock/metal includes the usual stuff: Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Therapy?, Sepultura, Faith No More, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Sugar...

Nothing particularly obscure now, AFAIK, but I used to have 'Teeth Like Sheep' by The Blue Smarties. Unfortunately, the tape gopt chewed up and I haven't been able to replace it.

glass.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases