(OOC) FR Adventure - Vampires of Waterdeep! [FULL]

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time DM here!

I'm looking for 4-5 players for a mini-campaign set in the Forgotten Realms, specifically the city of Waterdeep.

I want to use a series of adventures that appeared recently in Dungeon magazine, issues 126-128. The first of these is entitled "Blood of Malar," and that's all you need to know. Regular readers of Dungeon, please keep clear. ;)

For the rest of you, here are the character creation guidelines.

-Starting level is 13. Starting xp is 83000, which gives an extra 5000 xp to use for item creation, if your character is so inclined.

-No evil alignments.

-Sources allowable...I own the following: Core Rulebooks, Complete Divine/Arcane/Warrior/Adventurer, FR Campaign Setting, Races of Stone, Book of Exalted Deeds (but PLEASE think long and hard before submitting a character with Vow of Poverty...I think it's a bit tired). If you have material you'd like to use from another WOTC published book, throw it at me (the idea, not the book), and I'll see if I'll allow it. I may be able to borrow the book from a friend. Oh, and no psionics, they just aren't my thing.

-Base ability scores generated with a 28 point buy, then apply all modifiers for race, levelling up, and equipment.

-I will generate a fair hit point total for accepted characters, so don't worry about that.

-Start with 110,000 gp worth of equipment, per the DMG. The cap for the value of any single item is 33,000 gp. Any gp spent for item creation must also come from this total.

Well, I think that should just about cover it, although I'm certain I probably forgot something, so feel free to ask questions.

Should be a fun game, hope to see you apply! Thanks!

-PP

Last edited:

G

Guest 11456

I'd like to throw down the gauntlet on this one. Thinking fighter type of some sort.

Tailspinner

Thanee

First Post
Jana Fyrehair

Jana Fyrehair
Female Human, 6th-Level Sorcerer/7th-Level Eldritch Knight (XP 83,000)
Medium Humanoid (Human)

Hit Dice: 6d4+7d6+52 (102 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 12[25] (+2 Dex, [+4 armor], [+5 natural armor], [+4 shield]), touch 12, flat-footed 10[23]
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+14
Attack: [smallcaps]Twilight[/smallcaps] (+3 Magebane Starmetal Falchion*) +17 melee (2d4+9/18-20)
Full Attack: [smallcaps]Twilight[/smallcaps] (+3 Magebane Starmetal Falchion*) +17/+12 melee (2d4+9/18-20)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spells
Special Qualities: Summon Familiar (bat)
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 14(18), Dex 10(14), Con 14(18), Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 18(22) PB 6 2 6 6 0 8 (Cha +1 at 4th, 8th and 12th level)
Skills: Concentration +25(16), Knowledge (arcana) +10(8), Knowledge (dungeoneering) +10(8), Knowledge (local - Dalelands) +7(5), Knowledge (nature) +10(8), Knowledge (religion) +3(1), Knowledge (the planes) +6(4), Listen[familiar within arm's reach] +10[12](8), Spellcraft +12(8), Spot[familiar within arm's reach] +10[12](6), Tumble +10(8) Total Skill Points 80
Feats: Militia [Regional], Able Learner, Combat Expertise, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Arcane Strike, Extraordinary Concentration
Home Region: The Dalelands
Patron Deity: Mielikki
Alignment: Chaotic Good

* including extended Greater Magic Weapon

Jana is an attractive woman in her mid-twenties. She is of average height, with an athletic and well-trained physique. Her name Fyrehair is obviously derived from her long, copper red hair, which she prefers to wear in a single braid. Her green eyes nicely complement her good looks. Jana likes to dress in comfortable, black traveling clothes with a wide grey-green cloak, like it is typically worn by the elves, and which has a silver clasp shaped as a unicorn's head. The most noticeable piece of equipment is her night-black, silver-edged falchion [smallcaps]Twilight[/smallcaps], which she carries in a sheath on her back. Most of her other weaponry and much of her equipment is usually stored out-of-sight in her backpack.

Jana speaks Common, Chondathan, Elven, and Giant.

Spells: As 12th-level sorcerer
Sorcerer Spells Known (6/8/8/7/7/6/4; save DC 16 + spell level):
0 - Detect Poison, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Open/Close, Prestidigitation;
1st - Mage Armor, Shield, Ray of Enfeeblement, Enlarge Person, Critical Strike [CV];
2nd - Glitterdust, Invisibility, False Life, Bladeweave [CV], Listening Lorecall [CV];
3rd - Fireball, Major Image, Greater Magic Weapon, Spiderskin [UD];
4th - Dimension Door, Polymorph, Orb of Force [CA];
5th - Telekinesis, Greater Blink [CA];
6th - Wages of Sin [BoED].

Equipment:
Head: Circlet of Charisma +4 (as Cloak of Charisma) 16,000 gp
Eyes: Eyes of the Eagle 2,500 gp
Neck: Amulet of Health +4 16,000 gp
Shoulders: Travel Cloak 1,200 gp (from Magic of Faerûn)
Torso: Vest of Resistance +3 9,000 gp
Body: --
Waist: Belt of Steady Spellcasting (as Tunic of Steady Spellcasting) 2,500 gp
Wrists: Armbands of Might +4 (as Armbands of Might, just +4 to Str) 16,100 gp
Hands: Gloves of Dexterity +4 16,000 gp
Finger: --
Finger: --
Feet: Boots of Speed 12,000 gp

Other Equipment: [smallcaps]Twilight[/smallcaps] (+1 Magebane Starmetal Falchion) 13,075 gp, Alchemical Silver Scimitar 105 gp, Cold Iron Heavy Flail 30 gp, Dagger (2) 4 gp, Composite Longbow (Str +4) Regional Equipment + 200 gp, Cold Iron Arrows (100) 10 gp, Heward's Handy Haversack 2,000 gp, Traveler's Outfit (3), Bedroll, Winter Blanket, Scroll Case, Belt Pouch (2), Sack (2), Silk Rope (100 ft.), Soap, Waterskin, Sunrod (3), Tindertwig (6), Spell Component Pouch (2) 49.3 gp, Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend 3,000 gp; 126 gp, 7 sp, 0 cp.

Flaps, bat familiar: Diminutive magical beast (augmented animal); HD 13; hp 51; Init +2; Spd 5 ft., fly 40 ft. (good); AC 19, touch 16, flat-footed 17; Base Atk +10; Grp -7; Atk/full Atk -; Space/Reach 1 ft./0 ft.; SQ blindsense 20 ft., low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft., improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, speak with master; AL N; SV Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +9; Str 1, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 14, Cha 4.
Skills and Feats: Hide +14, Listen +16, Move Silently +6, Spot +14; Alertness.

Background: Jana spent her childhood in Harrowdale, where she was born in her hometown of Velarsburg, east of the vast Cormanthor, the former home of the elves. Her mother died giving birth to her, and so she was raised by her father, who was the captain of the town militia. Jana started early to train with weapons, she greatly enjoyed fighting with her father's longsword, which was far too large for the young girl to wield in one hand, so she just grabbed it with both. She also trained with the longbow, like most Dalelanders, but Jana never had a good aim. Nonetheless the fierce redhead was fairly well-respected for her fighting prowess. Jana herself showed great respect to nature, especially the impressive trees of the great Cormanthor, whom she liked to perambulate oftentimes. It was not unnoticed and eventually she came into contact with a small community of elves who still lived under its towering oaks and maple trees. Despite their reclusiveness, the elves always welcomed 'Fyrehair', how they liked to call the girl, on her visits and from them she learned about the great gift her mother had left her with - sorcery.

Time flew by quickly in the battle-ridden country and soon the young girl became a young woman, deft with the greatblade and even more skillful in the arcane arts. She spent more time alone or with the elves than with her father, who in his important position seldom had enough time for his daughter as well. And eventually, Jana left Harrowdale for a long journey, to see something from the world out there. She had heard tales from travelers about the purple waves of the Moonsea, vast deserts, gigantic mountain ranges and the huge metropole, Waterdeep, and she wanted to see all that with her own eyes. A few years passed, while Jana went from one adventure to the next, met new companions and lossed them again. She even visited the Underdark once, from where she brought back a great prize - the blade [smallcaps]Twilight[/smallcaps], forged from meteoric iron and imbued with the power to slay arcanists, Jana decided it was best to have this blade in her own hands, so it cannot be used against her again, as it was down there. Over the time, the longing grew to see her home once more, the trees, the elves, and her father. Jana travelled back to Harrowdale.

In the meantime, tragedy had struck Velarsburg. The Cormanthorian drow had subverted some of the good townsfolk with lies and false promises, and treachery blossomed in their midst. Jana was unable to locate her former elven friends, they had left or even died. But worst of all, she discovered, that her own father was among the traitors, who had allied themselves with the drow and let the good people of Velarsburg suffer. For some reason, he had blamed the elves for the 'loss' of his daughter and Jana herself for the loss of his wife, his troubled mind an easy prey for the vile dark elves. When Jana finally stood before him, there was no love between the two. It came to the worst and father and daughter clashed in battle. While he was the better fighter, his martial skills were no match for Jana's sorcerous powers. He died.

After making sure, that the threat was kept in check and with a good man in the lead of the town's militia once more, there was nothing left to keep Jana in Harrowdale. She finally turned her back to her former home and left for good. Jana went back to the life of an adventurer. She dropped her family name, but Jana kept the name, she had been given by the elves, and she was henceforth known as Jana Fyrehair.

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
My games have been dying like pestilent flies, I think I might be cursed (trough no fault of my own I assure you). So I'd like to give this one a try, if you'll have me. ;)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Wollf Henger

Aranea (3HD +4LA), rogue 2, warshaper 4, character level 9 ECL 13
Medium magical beast (shapechanger)
CG, Patron Deity Shandukul

28 point buy
Str 10=16 +2 level +4 morphic body = 22 (+6)
Dex 6=14 +4 racial = 18 (+4)
Con 10=16 +4 racial +4 morphic body = 24 (+7)
Int 0=8 +4 racial = 12 (+1)
Wis 2=10 +2 racial = 12 (+1)
Cha 0=8 +4 racial = 12 (+1)

So

Str 22 (+6)
Dex 18 (+4)
Con 24 (+7)
Int 12 (+1)
Wis 13 (+1)
Cha 12 (+1)

HD 3d10 (aranea) + 2d6 (rogue) + 4d8(warshaper) +9x7(63)
hp = ?

F +3 (ar) +4 (war) +7(con) = +14
R +3 (ar) +3 (ro) +1 (war) +4(dex) = +11
W +1 (ar) +1 (wa) +1 (wis) +2 (IW) = +5

F +14 R +11 W +5

Feats
Combat Reflexes, Iron Will (B), Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting, Multiattack,

Skills
Aranea: climb 6 ranks, listen 6 ranks, spot 6 ranks
Rogue: Tumble 8 ranks, search 8 ranks, spot 1 rank, listen 1 rank
Warshaper climb 4 ranks, balance 6 ranks, search 1 rank(cross class),

Skills: Araneas have a +2 racial bonus on Jump, Listen, and Spot checks. They have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks even if rushed or threatened.

So:
Balance 6 ranks +4 dex = +10
Climb 10 ranks +6 st +8 racial = +24 and can always take 10
Jump +7 str +2 racial = +9
Listen 7 ranks +1 wis +2 racial = +10
Search 9 ranks +1 int = +10
Spot 7 ranks +1 wis +2 racial = +10
Tumble 8 ranks +4 dex = +12

Languages Common, Sylvan, Elven

BAB +3 aranea, +1 rogue, +3 warshaper, = +7

Grapple +7 BAB, +7 Str = +14

Initiative = +4

AC = +4 dex, +1 natural,

Attack +7 BAB, +7 str = +14

Aranea
Low light vision, darkvision 60ft.
Natural bite in hybrid form 1d6 base +poison
web, change shape, spells
[SBLOCK]
Poison (Ex): Injury, Fortitude DC 18, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Spells: An aranea casts spells as a 3rd-level sorcerer. It prefers illusions and enchantments and avoids fire spells.
Spells Known (6/6): 0— detect magic, open/close, prestigitation, ray of frost, read magic; 1st—disguise self, expeditious retreat, mage armor.
Web (Ex): In spider or hybrid form (see below), an aranea can throw a web up to six times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets of up to Large size. The web anchors the target in place, allowing no movement.
An entangled creature can escape with a DC 13 Escape Artist check or burst the web with a DC 17 Strength check. The check DCs are Constitution-based, and the Strength check DC includes a +4 racial bonus. The web has 6 hit points, hardness 0, and takes double damage from fire.
Change Shape (Su): An aranea’s natural form is that of a Medium monstrous spider. It can assume two other forms. The first is a unique Small or Medium humanoid; an aranea in its humanoid form always assumes the same appearance and traits, much as a lycanthrope would. In humanoid form, an aranea cannot use its bite attack, webs, or poison.
The second form is a Medium spider–humanoid hybrid. In hybrid form, an aranea looks like a Medium humanoid at first glance, but a DC 18 Spot check reveals the creature’s fangs and spinnerets. The aranea retains its bite attack, webs, and poison in this form, and can also wield weapons or wear armor. When in hybrid form, an aranea’s speed is 30 feet (6 squares).
An aranea remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, nor does an aranea revert to its natural form when killed. A true seeing spell, however, reveals its natural form if it is in humanoid or hybrid form.[/SBLOCK]

Rogue
1d6 sneak attack, trapfinding, evasion[SBLOCK]
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. Rogues are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.
Sneak Attack: If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
The rogue’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.
A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.
Trapfinding: Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.
Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
Rogues (and only rogues) can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.
A rogue who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with her party) without disarming it.
Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.[/SBLOCK]

Warshaper:
Morphic immunities, immune to critical hits and stunning
Morphic weapons, as move action grow a natural weapon or improve one by one size
Morphic body, +4 to str and con
Morphic reach, increase reach by 5 ft
Morphic healing, fast healing 2, full round concentration check (DC = damage taken) to heal 10.

Equipment
32K Ring of protection +4
20K +1 cold iron holy spiked gauntlet
21K +1 wounding adamantine heavy mace
04.5K wand of knock 50 charges
20K ring of invisibility
08K Silver shortsword +1 animal bane
02.5K Bag of holding Type 1
Silver holy symbol of Shandukal
Travelling clothes
1000+ gold

Background
[SBLOCK]Wollf was a restless spirit always wanting to climb the nearest mountain and see what was on the other side. This led him to adopt Shandakul as his patron deity and journey out of his native forest lands to explore the worlds as he explored the powers of a shapeshifter. His humanoid form was that of a lean human and he travelled the roads as one, developing along the path of warshaper shifting mastery. While travelling through the northlands he was ambushed by a Malarite werewolf who was seeking to create a band of infected followers. Spying Wollf's holy symbol the werewolf thought it would be most amusing to turn such a follower into a werewolf slave of a malarite. While the attack incapacitated Wollf temporarily the fact that he was not actually a human made him immune to the lycanthropic disease and his morphic healing allowed him to recover from the ambush quicker than the werewolf anticipated. Now it was the werewolf who was taken unawares and ended up fleeing after the warshaper turned the tables on him. This led to the two becoming blood enemies and hunting each other back and forth across the northlands. While Wollf has managed to kill some of the werewolf's infected minions and has clashed many times with him personally, the two have not been able to dispose of each other as of yet. Wollf has recently tracked the Malarite south to Waterdeep and is cautiosly exploring the city looking for his nemesis.[/SBLOCK]

Appearance
[SBLOCK]Wollf Henger appears as a lean, tall, dark-eyed man with a somewhat athletic and rugged physique. He wears his black hair long but is clean shaven. He favors dark travelling clothes including a broad scarf and wide brimmed hat. At his waist he bears a short sword with a wolf head pommel and a vicious looking heavy mace while a spiked gauntlet covers one hand.

When he shifts his back hunches slightly and he grows black hairs all over his body. His face transforms into that of a spider with multiple eyes and large black mandibles dripping venom.

When in extremis he will shift into the true aranea form, that of a medium-sized spider with inhuman arms extending below the mandibles.[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
As for background, I have a bunch of FR stuff (mostly 1e and 2e but also 3e FRCS and Magic of Faerun), do not get dungeon, and do not know these adventures.

How often do you require posting? I can do most non holiday weekdays but not weekends.

Scotley

Hero
Sounds like fun. I don't have much experience playing monks and I thought it would be a nice change of pace. No vow of poverty! Likely human or maybe elven.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases