Elysium Squad IC

Nonlethal Force

First Post
[Sblock]This is the IC thread for Nonlethal Force's Elysium Squad game. As the game begins the players are Bront, Eluvan, Engrishonly, Fenris, Ferrix, and JonnyFive.[/Sblock]

“Good Morning,” begins one of the highest ranking priests of Pelor in the land. “I am glad that you all have answered my summons. Your god smiles down upon you and lights your path.” As those gathered take their places around the central table at the speaker’s gesture, the one who addressed the party continues to stand.

Looking around the room, it appears that there is a rather eclectic arrangement of people sitting around the long, heavy, and near rectangular wooden table. There is a heavy bent towards people who are used to fighting in close quarters combat. There is at least one who seems to prefer sneaking around and using a bow. There are even a few who look as though they are quite accustomed to dipping their hands into the well of arcane and divine energies. The armor types vary greatly on those who have gathered. The weapon choices vary even more. But there is one thing that is constant about everyone in this meeting: The table.

The party sits around the famed Table of Truth. For worshippers of Pelor, this item is one of legends. Alliances have been signed over this table. Peace has been achieved over this table. Pacts of protection and defense have been agreed upon in this table’s presence. It is the only place in the kingdom where it is impossible to disguise an identity. The table itself is a highly magical item, as are the chairs in which the party sits. Inscribed upon the table surface is the Holy Image of the Shinning One. One ray of light extends outward from the image of the Shinning One toward each chair. These rays react to anyone who sits in the chair belonging to the proper ray. Any person who does not have good in their heart and who tries to approach a chair and sit in it is immediately expelled from the chair, projected backwards a minimum of twenty feet – or the nearest wall. Additionally, if a person with an evil heart takes the chair, the tip of the associated ray explodes with a burst of holy radiance that damages only people with evil in their heart. The table and all good people around it are not harmed in any way by this burst of radiant energy.

However, the table has several other additional effects. For those who follow Pelor, the ray glows with a warm yellow hue. For those who worship Bahamut, Syreth, or Pholtus the ray glows a muted yellow. For those who follow Altua, Heironeous, or Moradin the ray glows a muted dark green. For those who follow Delleb, Cyndor, or Boccob the ray glows a muted blue. For those who follow Rao, Yondalla, Garl Glittergold, or Corellon Larenthian the ray glows a muted orange. For those who follow Ehlonna, Wastri, or Bralm the ray glows a muted light green. For those who follow Kord, Valkar, Konkresh, or Telchur the ray glows a muted purple. For those who follow Halmyr, St. Cuthbert, or Joramy the ray glows a muted red. For those who follow Lirr, Tritherron, Wee Jas, or Istus the ray glows a muted tan. For those who follow Osprem, Celestian, Farlanghn, or Mouqul the ray glows a muted pink. For those who follow Geshtai, Obad-hai, or Procan the ray glows a muted light gray. For those who follow Lyris, Xan Yae, Zuoken, or Olidammara the ray glows a muted dark gray. In this manner, nobody who gathers around this table can deceive each other in their heart’s desire or their religious faith.

Right now, all of the rays but one around the table glow with a warm yellow hue. In addition to the rays that are glowing, any contact that is made by a person sitting around the table with the top of the table – whether elbow, hand, etc – also causes the table to mimic the warm yellow glow effect directly beneath the area of contact and outside the area for one inch.

Currently, the lone ray on the table that does not glow is associated with the speaker, who is still currently standing. On account of the rest of the rays that are glowing, the table radiates with pleasant and mild warmth.

“You may call me Glammerdell. I am Pelor’s third. I am subject to Pelor himself, Janis the Prime, and Erythisonestai – Pelor’s second. I have called you here to present you with an opportunity to strike fear into the heart of evil like you have never been able to before. I ask that you hold your questions until the end.”

Glammerdell appears to be most likely half-elf by birth. His ears do have a slight point; but the fact that the Elven name Erythisonestai rolled off of his tongue as if it was his native tongue tells more than his face ever could. As he takes his chair, the ray associated with his chair illuminates the same warm glow as the ray associated with everyone else around the table.

Glammerdell smiles with a smile that is usually used by a father or mother looking down upon a child they are most proud of. “Pelor has need of your services. The kingdom of Barghost and King Sigfried have need of your services. The Confederacy of Tongra and the Alliance of Fenneress have need of your services. The holy ones who struggle against the infidel plagues that boil through Quehalost have need of your services. And your task is simple.”

Glammerdell leans forward and props his elbows on the table. The place where Glammerdell’s elbows touch the table illuminate on contact with the same warm yellow glow. The rustle of his chainmail armor echoes through the high vaulted ceiling. “If you accept this quest, you will need to leave immediately. Our Holy Eminence plans to send an invasion force through the land of the Confederacy of Tongra as well as the land of the Alliance of Fenneress. We already have their permission to do so. We also have obtained promises of financial, material, and physical support in the form of reinforcements from the countries through which we plan to march. Lest any of you be concerned, we will still maintain the protection of our own border from each of these countries. But our Holy Eminence and Janis the Prime believe that Pelor has called them to bring light into the darkness of Quehalost. It is time to send the evil which boils forth back into the hell from which it comes. But to do that, we need advance scouts. We need brave soldiers who do not fear the evil of a foreign realm. We need soldiers who look to take the fight onto the enemies’ land rather than constantly defending our own land from them. We need soldiers who are capable of going into a foreign land and destroying everything they can get their hands on while collecting information for the main invasion force. And that is why we have called upon you. Each of you possesses a unique gift to allow you to stand against the foe. Together, it is Pelor’s belief that you can overcome. Together, you will be the first beacon of light into the darkness of Quehalost. You will be transported to a location just on the Fenneress side of the Fenneress-Quehalost border. From there on, you will be on your own.”

Glammerdell smiles one last time. “There is a tale that I will tell. There are supposedly six portals that lead into the hells beyond the edges of this world. If these portals can be overcome, the enemy will be greatly weakened and they will be unable to reinforce their lines so easily. While you collect information and destroy what evil you can, should you be given the opportunity to destroy one of these portals you must risk the effort. But be warned. With each portal that is removed, the enemies pouring through the remaining portals will grow stronger. They fight amongst each other – and with each enemy that is removed, that is one less source of conflict against which they must fight. But the portals are the key. For each portal that you can silence, you will have accomplished the greatest victory of all the war. If you can silence all the portals, your names will be added to Fortress of the Sun and you will sit beside Pelor for eternity when the Shinning One calls you home. This is not merely a blessing. This is a promise from Pelor himself.”

Glammerdell allows a time for questions to be asked by all who have gathered. Once all questions have been answered Glammerdell begins again.

Glammerdell’s expression turns considerably grave. “If your faith is strong and you accept Pelor’s mission, then step into the circle of light. Do not allow your doubts to form on your lips, merely follow Pelor’s guidance.”

Glammerdell gestures to an area of the room that has an engraving identical to that which is on the table. Surrounding the image of Pelor is a circle that exudes with a strong magical glow. It appears as though three people can occupy the circle at a time.

…To Be Continued

[Sblock]Please do not post in this thread until the second part of this post is added. Any questions that would be asked of Glammerdell should be asked in the OOC thread before the game begins. The actual game will begin after the party has been successfully teleported.[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
... Opening Post Continued.

Glammerdell pronounces one final blessing upon the group. "May Pelor's light guide your way into the moral darkness you are to encounter."

As the first three adventurers step into the area of the circle, those outside the circle see great flames rise up from the circle engraved in the floor. The flames reach up at least 10 feet into the air, last for a mere five or six seconds, and magically die down as quickly as they came. The first three to step into the circle were gone!

From inside the circle, the three adventurers saw the room take on an amber tint which grew in intensitry until the only thing that was capable of being perceived was a solid wall of amber light. At the moment when objects outside the circle could no longer be perceived, the amber light dissapeared and the first party could see that they were no longer in Barghost.

As the next group entered the circle, the same effects occurred. The party that had already transported saw the flames mysteriously rise up from the ground about 10 feet away from their current location and then die down. Inside the flames were the next group of the party. This process continued until all were present at the new location.

Looking around, the party stood about a quarter day's journey from a mountainous passageway to the west. The early morning smoke of a small town's collection of chimneys can be seen at about an equal distance back to the east. The party currently stands on a small grassy meadow that rises just slightly above the nearby forrest. The sun is just beginning its ascent into the sky, and the warmth of the rays has not quite reached the air in spite of the fact that the sun has just now crept over the horizon.

Looking west once more, the party can discern several mountaintops that appear to have imposing faces. Between the mountain peaks it appears as though there are places where passage may be easier. There appears to be an accumulation of snow on the higher of the peaks.

[Sblock]Those with approved characters (noted in the OOC thread) please feel free to post at your leisure. Unless things are different than your description in the RG thread, there is no real need to post your description - people can go there to find that out. Please remember to use colors for speech. Also, if you want to include the roll modifiers for any checks/actions you want to do, please note those in Sblocks. Other than that - just have fun![/Sblock]

Yavarin:
[Sblock]Yavarin instantly recognizes the setting, but not this exact place. It is Fenneress - with Quehalost looming closely to the west. Goldcastle is most likely the town out of which the smoke is rising into the sky, although since it is a clear day there is the possibility it might even be Luthersville - although highly unlikely.

Yavarin would be aware of three passages into Quehalost from here:

The first one, and most frequently traveled, is up over one of the higher peaks. This passage will take nearly a week to pass, but it's elevation causes it to be by far the safest from any threats except the weather. It is very rare that a party passing along this path encounters anything more threatening that freezing temperatures.

The second one, and safest from the weather, leads straight into one of the more shallow mountains and out the other side. This pass usually takes 2 to 3 days to negotiate through to Quehalost. Nearly half of all parties traveling along this passageway encounter some resistance from natural predators living among the warmer caverns. (The caves are heated by a molten heat source deep inside the mountain - but as of yet these mountains have not become volcanoes.) For the most part these caverns are fairly easy to negotiate, but that means that predators find them easy as well. There is a small percent (1 traveling group out of 20) that runs into a more seriously organized threat - usually in the form a band of gnolls who are slightly more intelligent than normal. However, there is one worse threat, and that threat is unknown in its source. It is merely noted that 1 in 50 parties that travel this path do not return - ever.

The third path is another overland path through a valley created between two mountains. This path is by far the quickest path (passable in a day and a half) - but it leads through several switchback mountain passes that are prone to resistance - often organized. Ogres have been known to hunt along the passes. Nearly 5 out of every 6 parties that are forced into using this path for the necessity of speed encounter resistance from the ogres. Even more than the ogres, however, are rumors that even a white dragon has been known to hunt along this pass. A surprising 1 out of every 10 parties have spotted the dragon above. The larger the party, the more likely the dragon is capable of spotting the party as well.[/Sblock]

Last edited:

Bront

The man with the probe
Brother Ray turns towards the sun and takes a deep breath. "Pelor's light shines down yet again to bring life to those under it, even in this desolate place. We simply must help it penetrate these dark lands."

Ray looks around, gathering in his surroundings, pondering what he's gotten himself into, and says a silent prayer for guidance.

JonnyFive

First Post
'Well said Brother' voiced a small aetos, as he readied his mace and shield 'I think perhaps it would be good if we introduced ourselfs, I am Geeo vec-Gooa, Holy Warrior of our Lord Pelor. I will also save you the time of my full name, as I am sure that you all wish a turn some time this year.'

Last edited:

Eluvan

First Post
Cassient arrives at his location wide-eyed with excitement and quickly takes in the surroundings, raising his face up to the sky for a moment and taking a deep breath of the cool morning air. He then steps back a couple of paces to give some room to whoever might follow him, and looks around once more. "Nature has the same beauty even here. There's hope for the place yet," he muses softly, half to himself. He then turns to his new companions and gives a small, humble bow. "A fine idea," he nods to Geeo. "Cassient is my name. I'm..." he pauses momentarily, realising he'd never really tried to define himself in such terms before. "An arcanist," he decides, with a wry smile that has just enough of an air of self-mockery to excuse any pretentions in the title.

Bront

The man with the probe
"I am Brother Ray, a simple wanderer." Says the robed man. "You may simply call me Ray if you wish."

engrishonly

First Post
Eva of the Lilies

After many months of seclusion by the priesthood of Pelor while her odd claims were questioned, and a lifetime of never having traveled further than Nichols before answering the summons for this holy battle, the young woman is rather shy and remains quietly deferential as the others introduce themselves.

She hefts the spear in her hand with a measure of uncertainty, and looks up at the simple sun-pendant near its tip. "You will guide my hand...", she whispers into the air, facing towards the sun.

Fenris

Adventurer
Bront said:
"I am Brother Ray, a simple wanderer." Says the robed man. "You may simply call me Ray if you wish."

OOC:You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ... ;)

Yavarin has his back to the others, studying the terrain while flashes of amber light flicker behind him. "My name is Yavarin" he says stoically. "Once all have arrived we can decide upon our course"

OOC: I am stalling just a bit for Ferrix.

Bront

The man with the probe
Brother Ray looks around at his companions and nods. He turns to see the young woman facing the sun and holding her pendant. "And what might you be called young lady?"

OOC: I half though you were going at 'you can call me Al'. At least you didn't suggest calling him BJ :confused:

engrishonly

First Post
Eva of the Lilies

Her conscious mind brought back to her present company by the sound of someone directly addressing her, Eva turns to the robed man and says, "I am Eva..."

Her eyes then peer over Brother Ray's shoulder at nothing in particular, and she continues, "Pelor sent me here on a mission... sent us all here to cleanse this land, and to spread the light of the Undying Sun. And we will..." (She says the last part with an unusual ferocity)

Then she looks down uncomfortably at her gleaming suit of half-plate armor. In a barely audible voice, she whispers to herself, "Do I have this on right? I think so..."

OOC: Stalling for time? Yippee :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases